Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

9 hours ago, dan71 said:

Already try that, only coller start to spin and keyboard light up

Found there is no need to unsoldered coin lithium for bios, under lover sodimm you will find 2 contact for reset.

But this not solve my problem still bricked

I will buy my bios chip from ebay, change it and I will unlock again, but not use it for eGPU.

Edited by dan71
Add some

19 minutes ago, dan71 said:

Found there is no need to unsoldered coin lithium for bios, under lover sodimm you will find 2 contact for reset.

I will buy my bios chip from ebay, change it and I will unlock again, but not use it for eGPU.

Desoldering the CMOS battery and soldering it back on worked for me but only twice was I able to boot into my OS.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce these results. I just need to boot into my OS one last time so that I can flash my bios back to stock.

Where are the reset contacts specifically, can you post a pic of it?

A user by the name of Lizzo said that he had desoldered both BIOS chips and swapped their placements. Does anyone know which BOIS chip is the primary one and which one is the secondary?

I'm thinking of desoldering one of them and trying to boot to see what happens but I wanna desolder the primary one (since that's the one holding the bad BIOS settings.

UPDATE: I swapped the bios chips I didn't get past POST. The laptop turns on for a few seconds, turns off, turns back on with fans at full speed then turns off and stays off.

Not really sure what to do at this point. I tried this once without the CMOS battery in and the second time I soldered it back on. Made no difference.

I guess the only solution at this point would be is to order a new BIOS chip and solder it on and see what happens. Not sure if I need to order two of them and replace both chips or just one.

If there's anyone out there that can help or give any information on where I can get a new BIOS chip, Please, help me out.

I know there's still hope on fixing this but I'm out of solutions, anything will help at this point.

3 hours ago, dan71 said:

Let me know where you buy the BIOS chip from, and if you're gonna buy both the BIOS and EC chips.

Lucky for me, I have a universal programmer that is able to program the BUOS chip but I'm not sure how I'm going to connect the chip to the programmer.

Since the pins are so tiny on the BIOS chip I'm thinking of soldering each pin to a thin wire and connecting those wires to the programmer.

Let me know if the new chips work for you and where you bought them from. I hope they work.

11 hours ago, Imrule said:

UPDATE: I swapped the bios chips I didn't get past POST. The laptop turns on for a few seconds, turns off, turns back on with fans at full speed then turns off and stays off.

Not really sure what to do at this point. I tried this once without the CMOS battery in and the second time I soldered it back on. Made no difference.

I guess the only solution at this point would be is to order a new BIOS chip and solder it on and see what happens. Not sure if I need to order two of them and replace both chips or just one.

If there's anyone out there that can help or give any information on where I can get a new BIOS chip, Please, help me out.

I know there's still hope on fixing this but I'm out of solutions, anything will help at this point.

Both have numbers UH52 and UH53.

On Ebay they are sold in pair 25Q16DV (UH52 on our laptops) and 25Q32FV (UH53). I think 52 is primary but no sure.

JCMOS1 jumper done same thing as a desoldered coin lithium battery. 

This Lenovo laptop is for testing and learning only as I have a 17" Acer i7 with eGPU Asus 20161030_093636.jpgGTX1060 on it.

But when I use same setings on both laptop on Bios video settings Lenovo got bricked.

Imrule, if you have a bios programmer there is no need to buy new chips, just put a stock 3.05 or 3.08 on both.

Then downgrade to 2.07 and upgrade to 3.05 modded

Place order on Ebay and now way my bios to come got last pair :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-Chip-LENOVO-Ideapad-Y510P-Dual-chips-/400641799916

Edited by dan71

19 hours ago, dan71 said:

Imrule, if you have a bios programmer there is no need to buy new chips, just put a stock 3.05 or 3.08 on both.

Then downgrade to 2.07 and upgrade to 3.05 modded

Place order on Ebay and now way my bios to come got last pair :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-Chip-LENOVO-Ideapad-Y510P-Dual-chips-/400641799916

Thanks Dan, I have been able to reprogram the 25Q32DV which I believe is the chip that holds the BIOS info, but I don't have a EC dump to flash the 25Q16DV.

I found a link on this site but it didn't seem to work.

I have place an order already and waiting for them to ship it, in the mean time I was thinking I'd try to reprogram these chips and see if I can salvage them.

Do you have a dump of the EC I could use? I found one on this site but it didn't seem to work. It just caused my laptop to turn on and off with fans going at full speed.

On 10/31/2014 at 5:14 PM, elementalfx said:

Hi. Did anyone attempted to solder new bios chip after bricking?

I have seen that some company is selling bios chips for our laptop. I am probably going to buy it. I havent bricked my laptop(jet) but just in case it happens I will have those chips.

BIOS Chip:LENOVO Ideapad Y510P (Dual chips) | eBay

I have also seen other seller but its for Y510, they look same but I dont know if they are actually same, as they come preprogrammed already.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510 (15303) Bios-Chip24.com

Also I am looking forward to buy this programmer if the chip will be compatible. I contacted the seller that I want to make sure what is the part number for bios chip of our laptop. I am too lazy to dissasemble my laptop again to look what part number it is :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPI-Flash-Programmer-WINBOND-ST-PMC-MXIC-ST-SST-ATMEL-/290587546215

Edit: It seems like chips in our laptop are Winbond 25Q32FV and Winbond 25Q16DV And they are pretty cheap to buy on aliexpress.com even if you buy them in bulk so in any case cost of chip plus programmer is cheaper rather than sending it to lenovo.

I ordered one of those chinese programmers. SP8-B SPI Programmer to be specific as it supports the chip we have in y510p and tommorow I am gonna order chips. I have to buy 10 of each but they are cheap. At least I have spare ones just in case.

I found this from another post which this user provided the dump of the EC chip but unfortunately it did not work for me.

I reprogrammed my 25Q32FV chip with my original bios backup and reprogrammed my 25Q16DV with his dump but it didnt work.

My laptop just turns on with the fans at full speed and then turns off. I know my bios backup is good but i dont know if the dump he provided was good.

I thought I might want to share this with others.

So I found the files on the mirror provided and I encountered a few issues:

1) Could not get the FPTW64 to run. Discovered the BAT file is not running the correct command its missing the .exe). Work around is to open command prompt as admin - go to FPTW64 directory and run this command: fptw64.exe -d bios.bin -bios

2) Could not get the DOS Create file to work... is it ok to use something else and use freedos instead ?

22 hours ago, redfox85 said:

So I found the files on the mirror provided and I encountered a few issues:

1) Could not get the FPTW64 to run. Discovered the BAT file is not running the correct command its missing the .exe). Work around is to open command prompt as admin - go to FPTW64 directory and run this command: fptw64.exe -d bios.bin -bios

2) Could not get the DOS Create file to work... is it ok to use something else and use freedos instead ?

Yes you can use freedos.

I got it going... oddly when trying to do the EC flash it gave me a memory buffer 2 allocate failed error msg. A reboot cleared the issue though. Also, noticed I cant boot in pure UEFI mode, have to use Legacy Support. Small price to pay.

Tried a couple of times, I'm always getting this:

Using Y510P Core i7 4700 Dual GPU GT750M

I was on 3.07 originaly, so I did:

-Flashed 3.05

-Created the hacked v305mod.bin

-Installed 2.07 stock

-Rebooted with USB thumb drive, then I ran bios and I get this

(The error when running EC is also there)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

IMG_20161109_175715.jpg

Nevermind my post, turns out you don't need to copy the whole win98_files folder after, all those apps end up loaded in the ram and saturate the thing!

Tried it without coping everything and it worked great!  Now I have my 7260 working!!

Still, one question:  Do I need to do the whole nvflash procedure if I don't intend to overclock the GPU (I have the SLI setup)?

Edited by t1mman

On 11/11/2016 at 8:03 AM, t1mman said:

Still, one question:  Do I need to do the whole nvflash procedure if I don't intend to overclock the GPU (I have the SLI setup)?

This is something that I would also like to know.  Because I could care less about the other mod features all I need is the whitelist removed.

On 11/8/2016 at 4:38 PM, redfox85 said:

I tried your fix but all I seem to get is Error 75 and Error 201. After looking into it. Some y510p reject FPTW64 and doesn't allow it to work. The alternative supposedly is to use  the Universal bios backup toolkit which looks a lot easier to use than FPTW64 the problem is I can't find a download anywhere. If anyone knows where to find a working link please link it to me. I also heard that Backup tools 12 is another FPTW64 alternative if anyone can find a download link of that. As it has also magically been wiped off the internet along with the Univeral Bios Backup Toolkit.

UPDATE:

I found the Universal Bios Backup toolkit. The problem is it gives me a .rom and not a .bin.

What do I do now? 

Or how do I fix the FPT 201 Error? It says that it is not operational on my platform.

Please help.

Edited by blueluke234

• Bios Modder
On ‎11‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 5:03 PM, t1mman said:

Do I need to do the whole nvflash procedure if I don't intend to overclock the GPU (I have the SLI setup)?

No, it's not necessary, if you don't intend to overclock the GPU.

3 hours ago, blueluke234 said:

Or how do I fix the FPT 201 Error? It says that it is not operational on my platform.

What the bios version in your laptop now?