Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

On 6/24/2016 at 2:28 AM, JustBeingAmazin said:

I have 3.08 as well. how did you roll back to 3.05? Im also trying to get my new wifi card work but I don't know how to downgrade. Please help.

To downgrade your BIOS first you have to enable BIOS Flash Back feature in the BIOS itself. Once you've done that just run the 3.05 BIOS exe file and let it does the rest.
I'm guessing that when you try to run the 3.05 bios update file it would say EC compare version error or something, that's because the aforementioned feature isnt enabled.

4 hours ago, daan said:

does anyone know if I can downgrade from 3.08 to 3.05 with the stock Lenovo tool (74cn44ww.exe)? 

Yes absolutely you can. Just make sure you enable downgrading the BIOS in the BIOS settings.

Is this mod still alive? I really want to use the Ultrabay card I got off eBay, but the BIOS won't even let my laptop boot with it in. Do you guys think the Ultrabay card check could be removed as well?

On 7. 10. 2014 at 0:21 AM, vewen said:

I followed the guide and everything worked but when I typed "EC" it said:

"dos memory buffer 2 allocate failed"

I have tried manually to write both:

flashit EC305.bin /EC

flashit EC305.bin /ECP

; same result.

Any ideas?

make bootable DOS USB with rufus and copy all needed files from tutorial. Then download himemx.exe from internet(google will find), copy himemx.exe to root of your usb drive. Then edit config.sys so first line is "!device=c:\himemx.exe". That's it, it should work.

On 1. 2. 2015 at 3:18 PM, trixik said:

I also got "DOS memory buffer 2 allocate failed" after typing EC on dos boot disk. Any Idea why this happens, and how to solve this? Although I can boot, I don't feel very confortable with it

make bootable DOS USB with rufus and copy all needed files from tutorial. Then download himemx.exe from internet(google will find), copy himemx.exe to root of your usb drive. Then edit config.sys so first line is "!device=c:\himemx.exe". That's it, it should work.

God I f**king hate Lenovo for making us do this.

I was able to do this before I had my laptop repaired without any issues at all, but now  I can't unlock the BIOS after having it repaired and getting a new motherboard.

I'm running BIOS 3.05 but I cannot backup my current BIOS (for editing) the fptw64 bat. batch terminal just appears and exits for a split second. I am running it as ADMIN. It just pops up for like half a second and disappears. Nothing happens and no backup is made.

Also I tried to check my BIOS version with the InsydeFlash program from official Lenovo site. It just fails upon opening with BIOS VERSION COMPARE ERROR! I don't even get to see my version or anything.

Can anyone help with either of these 2 issues? I really want to use my 7260-AC card. The one this laptop came with is a piece of junk... as is this manufacturer...

Edited by Justgimmiefiles

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2016 at 1:41 AM, Justgimmiefiles said:

Also I tried to check my BIOS version with the InsydeFlash program from official Lenovo site. It just fails upon opening with BIOS VERSION COMPARE ERROR! I don't even get to see my version or anything.

I have the same error. Anyone know what the problem is?

y410p with i7-4700mq + 755m here. I did everything according to the guide, and was successfully in modding the bios. Had to enable back flash from bios though. Thank you. 

I was able to drop GPU voltage by 50mv and overclock 110mhz at the same time. Any more, and I get artifacts.

Furmark testing:

- no undervolt + stock clocks: GPU tops 90 degrees

- 50mv undervolt + 110mhz overclock: GPU tops 85 degrees

- 112,5mv undervolt + stock clocks: GPU tops 80 degrees

Other mods:

- Bottom dust filter removed, and plastic cut in a way that allows a bit more airflow.

- Spring mod & repaste

- Fan's plastic grill removed

- Added a plastic spacer on top of heatsink, so that the upper edge of the heatsink fins won't get blocked by the laptop frame. I think my heatsink assembly is twisted quite badly...

- Rear of the laptop elevated with winebottle corks :D

- CPU undervolt -90mv

A quick tip to everyone: Use RivaTunerStatisticsServer (comes with Afterburner I think) to limit your FPS in games. This reduces heat by quite a lot. I cap most of my games to 40-50 fps. If the game runs around 30-40 fps 90% of time, there's no reason for GPU to work it up to 60 fps in some not so demanding scenes. Worth a try, I'd say. Dropping even a few fps drops temps nicely.

Quick example with Space Engineers (low settings):

- fps cap 40: GPU 57 degrees (gpu usage around 40-50%)

- fps cap 50: GPU 64 degrees (gpu usage around 60-80%)

- fps cap 60: GPU 68 degrees (gpu usage around 90-95%)

- no fps cap: GPU 72 degrees (gpu usage 99% all the time)

Edited by Karza
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/16/2016 at 11:00 AM, Karza said:

SNIP

Nice mods mate (lol at wine bottle corks), and great overclock/undervolt. I can only drop GPU voltage by -37.5mV while overclocking it to +100mhz. 

What's your lowest undervolt at stock speeds? Mines is -112.5mV across both cards, which happens to be your final temperature benchmark listed. 

Also if you need a spare heatsink let me know, I have a couple extras I'm not using. 

On 7/17/2016 at 3:38 PM, Bobbey said:

Hello Guys,

I wanna share my FINAL SOLUTION for the overheating problem of the Lenovo Ideapad Y510p with you which doesn't include any hardware changes. The used values worked for each game I have, while higher clocks and voltages only worked for some games.

1. Undervolting and underclocking the CPU using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU):

• set the Multipliers for 3 and 4 active cores to 26 (reduces heat and prevents throttling)
  • set the Core Voltage Offset to -50 mV
  • these settings won't change after a restart

2. Undervolting and underclocking both GPUs using Nvidia Inspector (NVI):

• to change the voltage, modifying the BIOS of both internal GPU and Ultrabay GPU will be necessary, this is done by using the BIOS-Mod of Svl7 right here: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/3546-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod/
  • then download Nvidia Inspector: http://orbmu2k.de/tools/nvidia-inspector-tool  (Download button is down the website directly above the comments)
  • unzip it and start the file, click "Show Overclocking" and wait for 10-20 second until the values have been refreshed
  • you will always have to wait some time until the values are shown correctly
  • then set the Base Clock Offset to -118 MHz, the Memory Clock Offset to -200MHz and the Voltage Offset to -112.5 mV and click on "Apply Clocks & Voltage", if you have 2 GPUs, select the second one in the bottom left hand corner, do the same for it and apply
  • then you will have two options: 1. you create Clock Shortcuts for each GPU using the button and do apply these setting after each restart or 2. you right click that button and create a Clock Startup Task so it will be applied after each restart automatically (which is much better)

I will also attach a batchfile that does exactly the same as the Shortcuts.

The values I used should work for each Y510p but you can also try using different ones.

I hope this helps some people.

The temperatures:

- in idle 45-50°C

- under load 60-85°C (depending on which game and which settings)

overheating fix.zip

Mine keeps getting back to zero after pressing apply and also 2nd cards undervolting is limited to -25mv

On 9/21/2016 at 8:45 PM, LanceAvion said:

Nice mods mate (lol at wine bottle corks), and great overclock/undervolt. I can only drop GPU voltage by -37.5mV while overclocking it to +100mhz. 

What's your lowest undervolt at stock speeds? Mines is -112.5mV across both cards, which happens to be your final temperature benchmark listed. 

Also if you need a spare heatsink let me know, I have a couple extras I'm not using. 

Thanks. Might post pictures later.

If memory serves me right, I couldn't go any lower than -112,5mV using stock clocks.

Cheers mate, but I live in Finland. Postage would cost quite a bit. Also, I'm fairly content with my laptop now that I managed to undervolt it. Runs cool and silent when gaming. Playing games won't get it even nearly as hot as Furmark does.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! I'm falling at the first hurdle here, I just can't get the HP USB disk storage format tool tp get my stick to run as the DOS. It just says failed to format the device. The laptop then fails to recognise the usb stick and says 'Please insert a disk'. I went to disk management and all the storage had become unallocated. I can reassign a drive letter and format it, bringing it back to normal but trying again just results in it becoming unallocated again! What can I do to fix this?

Sorry if everyone that can help is gone, this thread is ulta old :)

4 hours ago, alexilexi247 said:

Hey! I'm falling at the first hurdle here, I just can't get the HP USB disk storage format tool tp get my stick to run as the DOS. It just says failed to format the device. The laptop then fails to recognise the usb stick and says 'Please insert a disk'. I went to disk management and all the storage had become unallocated. I can reassign a drive letter and format it, bringing it back to normal but trying again just results in it becoming unallocated again! What can I do to fix this?

Sorry if everyone that can help is gone, this thread is ulta old :)

Same issue here, tried with 3 different usb drives, but no luck

52 minutes ago, ashishv said:

Same issue here, tried with 3 different usb drives, but no luck

Can I use freeDOS from rufus to boot to DOS? Will the same commands work( eg. BIOS and EC), once I have the proper files in the root directory?

Lenovo Y510P with single 750 bios 3.05 stock W10 home /64

Using eGPU Asus GTX1060 6Gb on Acer V3-771G with modded bios. Work like a charm on internal or external monitor on W7/64 and W10Pro/64

Now I just want to use 1060on Y510P but can`t instal unlocked bios for whitelist.

Is anyhere a video for this? I cant back-up my stock bios.

My Y510p is bricked.

Boot but no image on display, can`t enter bios.

All I done is to set UMA only and set 300ms at video setup.

How to do emergency BIOS recovery for Y510Y?  With 3.05 stock bios and only Yx01.bin from Crisis folder on USB stick don`t work with FN+R