Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

14 minutes ago, centrinosucks said:

I've been having connection problem the past few days. I know Y510p's network card sucks but I had no problem the past few years since I bought it. Is it possible that it's virus or malware?

Did you do the bios unlock hack? If not try reinstalling the wifi card drivers and rebooting the laptop a few times. Thst could fix it.

2 hours ago, jerryeight said:

Did you do the bios unlock hack? If not try reinstalling the wifi card drivers and rebooting the laptop a few times. Thst could fix it.

Haven't downloaded it yet, can't do it yet to be exact. But I wanna know what's wrong to be exact haha and it'd be great if I could fix it ASAP. Anyways I'm gonna buy a new card to upgrade it, so I'll be doing the bios hack next week I guess. Oh and rebooting doesn't work...

Edited by centrinosucks
additional comment

4 hours ago, Octavian said:

My wifi card also was working just fine until a few weeks ago, and since then it disconnects randomly. I'm starting to believe maybe it's windows 10 but don't know for sure...

I'm still on Windows 8 and didn't do any updates at all, although it's my brother who's been using the laptop the past couple of days. But prolly after a while the card begins to deteriorate or something.

Hello everyone well I went through the process, flashed the 3.05 bios, reverted to bios version 2.07, enabled USB boot and legacy support, booted from USB and got the error Message

"Remove disks or other media.

Press any key to restart"

I got this several times.

Can someone tell me why the bios will not flash?

Edited by drajitsh
No response

On 6/21/2016 at 11:47 AM, Octavian said:

My wifi card also was working just fine until a few weeks ago, and since then it disconnects randomly. I'm starting to believe maybe it's windows 10 but don't know for sure...

I have noticed this with my AC 7260 as well, it will randomly disconnect too, not too often but it has happened a few times since I unlocked the bios and installed the card. Otherwise the card is very fast.

On 5/4/2016 at 4:17 AM, drprank said:

Guys I mine had 3.08, what I did was rolling back to 3.05 official then followed the guide. Now I've successfully flashed the modded bios (checked the bios options, insane stuff).
My question is is it mandatory to flash the vbios? I just checked NVIDIA panel and it seems my SLI is working just fine.

I have 3.08 as well. how did you roll back to 3.05? Im also trying to get my new wifi card work but I don't know how to downgrade. Please help.

On 5/29/2016 at 4:43 PM, jdcruson said:

So I have been working on this awhile to no avail. cant seem to get the bios backup tool (fptw64) to spit out a .bin file to move forward.

Lenovo y510p

bios version 3.05

windows 10

First of my guess you have been running the cmd as an admin. If not do so. Second just type backup and it will do its thing. The .bin file should be in the folder where fptw64 resides. It should be around 4 Mb. Good luck

On 24/6/2016 at 0:58 AM, JustBeingAmazin said:

I have 3.08 as well. how did you roll back to 3.05? Im also trying to get my new wifi card work but I don't know how to downgrade. Please help.

Go into the bios and allow backflash

On 6/23/2016 at 11:13 AM, Octavian said:

Thank you for sharing. I have seen in your signature that you are using SSD, does it work by defaoult once the bios is flashed?

Yes my ssd worked after the bios update with no  changes made to the bios.

On 6/22/2016 at 9:59 PM, jgdiaz2167 said:

I have noticed this with my AC 7260 as well, it will randomly disconnect too, not too often but it has happened a few times since I unlocked the bios and installed the card. Otherwise the card is very fast.

The link below may explain why some of us have wifi disconnect issues.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_web/investigation-wi-fi-dropping-on-the-14366-14367/d49aec5b-76e9-4340-8743-ed6763ffc62e

Hi,would you mind tell me where to get the Error 104 fix file? and how to use it?

I try to flash the bios follow the step in OP,but have this error.

D:\Hackintosh\Y410P Bios\Fptw64>fptw64 -d me.bin -me

Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version:  9.0.0.1310
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2013, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Platform: Intel(R) HM86 Express Chipset
Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---
    W25Q16BV    ID:0xEF4015    Size: 2048KB (16384Kb)
    EN25QH32    ID:0x1C7016    Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)

Error 104: The 2 SPI flash devices do not have compatible command sets.
Edited by Ren_HB

This is incredible work. I recently completed this process then followed the video at the bottom of the instructions. For some reason after doing so my USB 3.0 ports have been stuttering. I'm not sure what setting causes this. It didn't happen before the video walk-through. I'm about to dive into the comments to see if I can find anything.

I'm also interested in whether this EC unlock lets things like MSI afterburner control the fan speed. I'd like to have finer control over them without having to reboot.

If anyone has any ideas about either of these two things let me know.

Regards.

Edited by RogueAurora

Hello Guys,

I wanna share my FINAL SOLUTION for the overheating problem of the Lenovo Ideapad Y510p with you which doesn't include any hardware changes. The used values worked for each game I have, while higher clocks and voltages only worked for some games.

1. Undervolting and underclocking the CPU using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU):

• set the Multipliers for 3 and 4 active cores to 26 (reduces heat and prevents throttling)
  • set the Core Voltage Offset to -50 mV
  • these settings won't change after a restart

2. Undervolting and underclocking both GPUs using Nvidia Inspector (NVI):

• to change the voltage, modifying the BIOS of both internal GPU and Ultrabay GPU will be necessary, this is done by using the BIOS-Mod of Svl7 right here: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/3546-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod/
  • then download Nvidia Inspector: http://orbmu2k.de/tools/nvidia-inspector-tool  (Download button is down the website directly above the comments)
  • unzip it and start the file, click "Show Overclocking" and wait for 10-20 second until the values have been refreshed
  • you will always have to wait some time until the values are shown correctly
  • then set the Base Clock Offset to -118 MHz, the Memory Clock Offset to -200MHz and the Voltage Offset to -112.5 mV and click on "Apply Clocks & Voltage", if you have 2 GPUs, select the second one in the bottom left hand corner, do the same for it and apply
  • then you will have two options: 1. you create Clock Shortcuts for each GPU using the button and do apply these setting after each restart or 2. you right click that button and create a Clock Startup Task so it will be applied after each restart automatically (which is much better)

I will also attach a batchfile that does exactly the same as the Shortcuts.

The values I used should work for each Y510p but you can also try using different ones.

I hope this helps some people.

The temperatures:

- in idle 45-50°C

- under load 60-85°C (depending on which game and which settings)

overheating fix.zip

Edited by Bobbey

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys 

i'm new to this forum and i would like to know risk associated with unlocking BIOS??

i know its all good when everything goes according to plan 

But what will happened if something goes wrong??

On 8/14/2016 at 0:14 PM, sparky_00 said:

hey, are there any links to the files? i can't seem to be able to download them :( any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance :) 

Try here. http://www.thecosmosphere.com/how-to-remove-bios-wlan-whitelist-from-lenovo-y410py510p/

Just in case I can't post links Google How To Remove Bios WLAN Whitelist From Lenovo Y410P/Y510P the website is cosmosphere. The site is a quick guide to the process. Make sure you read all the actual documentation by the original creator here though. 

• Thumbs Up 1