Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

Well, as drschwabe put it, I have now joined the y510p brick club. My laptop boots, keys light up, and I have a black screen (screen doesn't even power on). It beeps when the AC cord is either removed or put back in. I tried placing the stock BIOS on a flash drive and booting while holding "Fn + r" but to no avail. My flash drive would start blinking and then my laptop would just power off.

I created an account just to post and see if there was a solution. Are there any step by step instructions for Lizzo's answer? Has anyone besides him that has recovered from a bricked BIOS? Is the only way to recover from a bad BIOS flash to unsolder the BIOS chip and solder a new one on?

I am having the EXACT same problem as you HairyFry. My laptop boots up, keys light up but the screen stays black and does not power on. It also beeps when the AC cord is removed or plugged in. I have noticed that my laptop is not detecting the keyboard.... seems like the whole systems OS is bricked (i think?).

A few days ago when it was detecting the keyboard, or i should say when the keyboard was registering... I was able to do a bios reset even with the screen black (i did this by pressing F2 to get into the bios, yes with the black screen... and the pressing this sequence to reset to the defaults: 1X Left 4X Down 4X Enter... and if your keyboard is being registered like mines was, it should reset the bios to the default state, which i needed because i had messed up the video settings on the modded bios).

My problem now as i stated is that the laptop seems to be at a bricked state, i have tried to plug in a usb keyboard and it does not recognize it, the lights do not power on.. however, i tried to plug in my phone to see if the USB are working and it does charge the phone at a "low-power" state.

I just registered to the forums to see if anyone can help with this bricked laptop, i have a y410p with a single nvidia 755m.... any input would be appreciated.

My bricked laptop is... unbricked!

After the black screen of death with no recourse (couldn't reset BIOS with key-combos nor undo the BIOS setting I changed by repeating previous keystrokes) I took the laptop to a shop and instructed them what to do - and they did it and it's fixed!

So to @GhostNYC212, @Hairyfry, @Bobbey there is hope - do the BIOS swap as described by @Lizzo (the ones I photographed) whether you can do it or just take it in to a reputable computer or laptop shop and they can do this for you.

My bricked laptop is... unbricked!

After the black screen of death with no recourse (couldn't reset BIOS with key-combos nor undo the BIOS setting I changed by repeating previous keystrokes) I took the laptop to a shop and instructed them what to do - and they did it and it's fixed!

So to @GhostNYC212, @Hairyfry, @Bobbey there is hope - do the BIOS swap as described by @Lizzo (the ones I photographed) whether you can do it or just take it in to a reputable computer or laptop shop and they can do this for you.

glad to hear that your laptop is fixed @drschwabe ... can you post what @Lizzo described ? and what to do after that ? I would hate to have to give up on this laptop but now you gave me some hope since u got it fixed :)

I was going to sell it online for like $250 but might as well get it fixed lol.

Take the time to read the previous posts @GhostNYC212 it's all here in this thread (with pictures of the actual chips). You have to physically remove the primary bios chip and replace it with the backup chip that sits right next to it. Then follow his restore instructions to get it powered on thereafter.

The only issue I'm having after this is a slower bootup - the laptop now has a 3 to 5 second delay from when you press power and when the Lenovo logo appears.

Take the time to read the previous posts @GhostNYC212 it's all here in this thread (with pictures of the actual chips). You have to physically remove the primary bios chip and replace it with the backup chip that sits right next to it. Then follow his restore instructions to get it powered on thereafter.

The only issue I'm having after this is a slower bootup - the laptop now has a 3 to 5 second delay from when you press power and when the Lenovo logo appears.

Thanks so much for the advice @drschwabe and @Lizzo !! I went to a local computer shop here in nyc and told them exactly what you guys said about swapping the bios and now the laptop is unbricked! I am using it at this moment. The only problem i am having with this lenovo y410p is that the nvidia gt 755m is giving me blue screens once in a while.... do u guys think it could be because i have a 3rd party 90W ac adapter? IF so, what is the recommended output for this laptop? So i can order one online ASAP.

Thanks so much for the advice @drschwabe and @Lizzo !! I went to a local computer shop here in nyc and told them exactly what you guys said about swapping the bios and now the laptop is unbricked! I am using it at this moment. The only problem i am having with this lenovo y410p is that the nvidia gt 755m is giving me blue screens once in a while.... do u guys think it could be because i have a 3rd party 90W ac adapter? IF so, what is the recommended output for this laptop? So i can order one online ASAP.

For the Y510p, the recommended power brick should be 120W. (Get the official Lenovo one)

If your system is SLI, then you need a 170W power adapter.

For the Y510p, the recommended power brick should be 120W. (Get the official Lenovo one)

If your system is SLI, then you need a 170W power adapter.

I see... Thanks for the reply.

BTW, i think i am going to end up selling this laptop because i cannot get this GT755m to work at all.

I have tried the driver's in lenovo website, nvidia website (various driver's including the latest ones)..

I have tried doing registry cleaning before installing, i have formatted to windows 7, 8.1, 10 and nothing helps

me get that error code away.... maybe someone has any idea or a similar problem and have a solution as a last

hope before i end up selling this laptop :(

because i think i have tried everything unless it's a defective hardware issue?....

once again any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

@Lizzo @drschwabe .... maybe one of you guys have any info on this ?

post-39534-14495000908585_thumb.jpg

I see... Thanks for the reply.

BTW, i think i am going to end up selling this laptop because i cannot get this GT755m to work at all.

I have tried the driver's in lenovo website, nvidia website (various driver's including the latest ones)..

I have tried doing registry cleaning before installing, i have formatted to windows 7, 8.1, 10 and nothing helps

me get that error code away.... maybe someone has any idea or a similar problem and have a solution as a last

hope before i end up selling this laptop :(

because i think i have tried everything unless it's a defective hardware issue?....

once again any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

@Lizzo @drschwabe .... maybe one of you guys have any info on this ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16191[/ATTACH]

Looking at all the troubleshooting that you have done, you might just have damaged the GPU chip with the wrong power supply (or maybe it was already damaged, if you bought the laptop recently).

I have seen that error but usually it gets fixed by resetting windows. You have a custom BIOS, so that doesnt help either.

ok, please dont stone me and maybe the answer is in the thread already, but i dont really have the time to read through all 175 pages of this thread, i read the first 15 and couldnt find it there

i followed the instructions correctly on my y510p with bios 3.05 and 2x 755m evrything works fine and i was able to use the intel 7260 wifi card, which made me happy, but... now all my games are crawling on theyr toothflesh... i barely get any fps and im no longer able to run a virtual world client and play a game in window mode at the same time, this was working just fine before and now im barely able to run one of them

i tried different bios settings, i tried the nvidia inspector to maybe overclock the gpus (which resulted in all windows turning black) and i even tried to flash both gpu vbios back to the original firmware (which wasnt working either because nvflash told me they couldnt find a supported eprom on gpu 0), so im at the end with my latin, are there any settings i overlooked or is it possible to have just the fix for the whitelist for bios 3.05? because honestly i have no need for the extra functions

i would be very grateful if this issue could be fixed, if not, well then i just return evrything back to default and bring the intel card back to the store and use the crappy broadcomm adapter that came with the lenovo

ok, please dont stone me and maybe the answer is in the thread already, but i dont really have the time to read through all 175 pages of this thread, i read the first 15 and couldnt find it there

i followed the instructions correctly on my y510p with bios 3.05 and 2x 755m evrything works fine and i was able to use the intel 7260 wifi card, which made me happy, but... now all my games are crawling on theyr toothflesh... i barely get any fps and im no longer able to run a virtual world client and play a game in window mode at the same time, this was working just fine before and now im barely able to run one of them

i tried different bios settings, i tried the nvidia inspector to maybe overclock the gpus (which resulted in all windows turning black) and i even tried to flash both gpu vbios back to the original firmware (which wasnt working either because nvflash told me they couldnt find a supported eprom on gpu 0), so im at the end with my latin, are there any settings i overlooked or is it possible to have just the fix for the whitelist for bios 3.05? because honestly i have no need for the extra functions

i would be very grateful if this issue could be fixed, if not, well then i just return evrything back to default and bring the intel card back to the store and use the crappy broadcomm adapter that came with the lenovo

First off, if you have read enough, you should know NOT to change GPU setting in the BIOS. It might brick your system.

Now, coming to your fps issue.

1) Which game are you playing

2) what is the fps

3) what is the temp of CPU/GPU

4) What is your GPU driver version?

5) Have you confirmed SLI is enabled in NVIDIA Control panel?

6) Can you post screenshots of NVIDIA driver version/DXdiag?

First off, if you have read enough, you should know NOT to change GPU setting in the BIOS. It might brick your system.

Now, coming to your fps issue.

1) Which game are you playing

2) what is the fps

3) what is the temp of CPU/GPU

4) What is your GPU driver version?

5) Have you confirmed SLI is enabled in NVIDIA Control panel?

6) Can you post screenshots of NVIDIA driver version/DXdiag?

i only changed settings i was comfortable with, no changes on voltage, speed or anything else, mostly i tried different settings of priority

1) mgsv, but i have also problems with evry other game, skyrim, fallout, even solitaire... but only with second life running in the background, again evrything was runnign fine and dandy before i applied the mod

2) i dont know exactly the fps, its crawling like a diashow, was running smooth before, in SL around 10 in the region im usualy at without gaming (got up to 25 with no problems it only dropped when it got network errors from the broadcomm adapter, hence why i bought a new wifi adapter)

3) the same as it was before around 90°C during gaming

4) the latest from Nvidia 358.50

5) its actualy mostly turned off unless i really need it, with SLI activated it runs now as it ran without SLI before

6) what exactly do you need?

also i really dont think this is a driver issue, i ran the same driver version before and after the mod, it was running fine before, the only thing that changed was applying the mod, didnt install anything new, didnt make any updates, didnt change any hardware except the wifi adapter, didnt change any windows settings, kept the bios on default settings (except when i tried out stuff, but i reverted that after testing, again didnt change mandatory things, only stuff i was comfortable with, didnt touch any overclocking inside the bios, only with the nvidia insider)

i only changed settings i was comfortable with, no changes on voltage, speed or anything else, mostly i tried different settings of priority

1) mgsv, but i have also problems with evry other game, skyrim, fallout, even solitaire... but only with second life running in the background, again evrything was runnign fine and dandy before i applied the mod

2) i dont know exactly the fps, its crawling like a diashow, was running smooth before, in SL around 10 in the region im usualy at without gaming (got up to 25 with no problems it only dropped when it got network errors from the broadcomm adapter, hence why i bought a new wifi adapter)

3) the same as it was before around 90°C during gaming

4) the latest from Nvidia 358.50

5) its actualy mostly turned off unless i really need it, with SLI activated it runs now as it ran without SLI before

6) what exactly do you need?

also i really dont think this is a driver issue, i ran the same driver version before and after the mod, it was running fine before, the only thing that changed was applying the mod, didnt install anything new, didnt make any updates, didnt change any hardware except the wifi adapter, didnt change any windows settings, kept the bios on default settings (except when i tried out stuff, but i reverted that after testing, again didnt change mandatory things, only stuff i was comfortable with, didnt touch any overclocking inside the bios, only with the nvidia insider)

1) Well, switch off Wifi and try playing. Do you see any improvement?

2) Try uninstalling the GPU drivers (Control Panel > Device Manager and Programs & Features)

Install a fresh set of drivers, maybe download an earlier version say 347.25, to test first.

(If you need detailed instructions on a CLEAN INSTALL, let me know)

3) In DXdiag, see what is your Display tab showing.

4) Download CPUHW Monitor, run it and play a game. See what is the activity on your CPU and GPU.

5) Play a simple youtube video (Full HD), does it play well?

Set your modded BIOS to defaults. I also modded the BIOS but never had such issue. Also, before doing the mod, I read through like 165 pages (yes all) and found no such issue.

Hey, I want to go back to default bios and vbios. I instelld original BIOS from Lenovo site but NVInspector still says that both cards has modified vbos. I don't understan it because first card vbios should be in the BIOS or I am wrong? What to do? I have Second card original copy but if I flash only this I get blurry picture.

Okay my laptop works again after it was bricked, they unsoldered they BIOS chip, then flashed it and soldered again to the board. It works but my little "problem" is that there is a black screen at the startup for about 15-20 seconds which is very annoying. Has anyone an idea how to fix that? :) Thanks in advance...

Anyone try win 10 with this bios mod? Can anyone please comment with their trial? Do all drivers work (those from win 8.1)?

I have not tried it and wont try it. Why? Because Y510p is officially not supported by Lenovo for Win 10.

My advise to keep a gaming rig running is to stay on win 8.1 as most games run on that OS.

As for observations around the forums I have gathered that you may encounter either of these problems -

1) Unable to adjust brightness

2) Wifi stops working (Big Issue on both 7260 and 2230 chips)

3) Lenovo support apps stop working.

4) BSOD

Only a couple of users have reported W10 success on Y510p.

I'm running

win10 x64 pro on it. No problem so far. Is installed on my M2 SSD. 2 sec boot. The drivers from 8.1 are working on 10. I'm using Intel 7260 with no issues.

The brightness issue I had it on windows 8.1 because of Intel driver. No problem on 10.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Anyone try win 10 with this bios mod? Can anyone please comment with their trial? Do all drivers work (those from win 8.1)?

Well I didn't noticed much difference, one thing what I feel it's that booting time it's slower compare to 8.1 and also the fan mod that doesn't start automatically but I start it manually. Also on drivers, Nvidia newer drivers gave me problems with sli only on planetside 2, I had graphical issues lots of glitches but just rolled back to older drivers and it was fixed but this more nvidia side and not windows 10 or 8.1 because it happens in both. One thing I hate from Windows 10 it's the automatic updates because it updates Nvidia drivers, TouchPad drivers so make sure you block windows from updating drivers you don't want.

So this is a my little review of Windows 10 on y510p.