Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

So NO one even bothered to help me solve my issue... But its cool, I got it sorted out by myself. I have a another question that the helpful people can once again ignore. Can someone tell me how to flash a higher default clock settings to my internal gpu? (I have the secondary 750m gpu from a 510p in my 410p and its working fine)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Lizzo - because noone ever did it. Either only screen is black - then people provided instructions for when bios boots up, use up/down/enter keys to reset the igpu value (find bios video to check where to go in youtube). Or the screen is black because bios flash failed and EC is bad, so USB is not even booting. If someone ever solved this, other than replacing motherboard, please do share.

I solved it without chAnging the board and I have no problem actually helping someone else.. USB wasn't even booting and after doing some research it came to me. The laptop has a DUAL BIOS, and the purpose of the secondary BIOS is for situations just like this.. I swapped the primary with the secondary bios, then I proceeded to do the emergency recovery with fn+r then plugging in the laptop and pressing power... I'm happy to say that I now have a working laptop. Now then, to my question: can someone tell me how to flash modified clock settings to the internal 750m? I've noticed that the 305 modded bios has got a higher than default clock setting flashed to it.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

I solved it without chAnging the board and I have no problem actually helping someone else.. USB wasn't even booting and after doing some research it came to me. The laptop has a DUAL BIOS, and the purpose of the secondary BIOS is for situations just like this.. I swapped the primary with the secondary bios, then I proceeded to do the emergency recovery with fn+r then plugging in the laptop and pressing power... I'm happy to say that I now have a working laptop. Now then, to my question: can someone tell me how to flash modified clock settings to the internal 750m? I've noticed that the 305 modded bios has got a higher than default clock setting flashed to it.

Hey good to know you solved your issue. Please post a step-by-step here, some people could use yer expertise and knowledge.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey good to know you solved your issue. Please post a step-by-step here, some people could use yer expertise and knowledge.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey Guys,

I've got a big problem! I changed the voltage and the multipliers of my CPU inside the menu of the modded BIOS (I know that was so stupid) and now it won't boot. If I press the power button the display doesn't start but the LEDs of the keyboard and the power button turn on. If I remove the AC power there is a beep sound.

I HOPE for help.

Thank you guys :)

Hey Guys,

I've got a big problem! I changed the voltage and the multipliers of my CPU inside the menu of the modded BIOS (I know that was so stupid) and now it won't boot. If I press the power button the display doesn't start but the LEDs of the keyboard and the power button turn on. If I remove the AC power there is a beep sound.

I HOPE for help.

i once did that and i just powered it on and let it stay like that for about 10minutes and it alone by itself turned off and reseted bios

if it boots but with black screen then press F2 several tmes after you see the keyboard lightup then count like 10-15 seconds and hit F9 and ENTER and then F10 Enter and that should reset the bios and everything peachy

OTHER TOPIC PLEASE HELP

i have a an SLI setup on my Y410p and everything runs Perect and i totally love this pc.... but is their a way to flash GPU internal BIOS to change core speeds and do a little under-volt since i have to run a Frame cap to 60 so temperatures dont go above 80Celsius... i think if i had both gpus to 925mhz at 0.9volts .... it would be the sweetspot for no heating issues:purplebananna:

i once did that and i just powered it on and let it stay like that for about 10minutes and it alone by itself turned off and reseted bios

if it boots but with black screen then press F2 several tmes after you see the keyboard lightup then count like 10-15 seconds and hit F9 and ENTER and then F10 Enter and that should reset the bios and everything peachy

OTHER TOPIC PLEASE HELP

i have a an SLI setup on my Y410p and everything runs Perect and i totally love this pc.... but is their a way to flash GPU internal BIOS to change core speeds and do a little under-volt since i have to run a Frame cap to 60 so temperatures dont go above 80Celsius... i think if i had both gpus to 925mhz at 0.9volts .... it would be the sweetspot for no heating issues:purplebananna:

I tried the second solution but it didn't work... is it possible that some hardware got damaged? I'm gonna try the first solution now.

:)

edit: I powered it on an let it stay like that for about an hour right now... that didn't work. I don't know what to do :( I would be incredibly happy if anyone could help me or has a solution :)

Hey Guys,

I HOPE for help.

Lol changing the multiplier won't cause that issue... Changing a setting pertaining to the video card (like I did) will cause that issue. As I posted, the solution that worked for me was taking it apart, and exchanging places of the primary BIOS with the secondary BIOS then running the emergency BIOS of recovery method of putting a stock bios file on a flash drive (named Yx01.bin) then plugging in the flash drive (fat32 format), removing all power sources from the laptop, and then holding down fn+r then plugging in the power adapter and finally pressing the power button while still holding down the fn+r keys.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol changing the multiplier won't cause that issue... Changing a setting pertaining to the video card (like I did) will cause that issue. As I posted, the solution that worked for me was taking it apart, and exchanging places of the primary BIOS with the secondary BIOS then running the emergency BIOS of recovery method of putting a stock bios file on a flash drive (named Yx01.bin) then plugging in the flash drive (fat32 format), removing all power sources from the laptop, and then holding down fn+r then plugging in the power adapter and finally pressing the power button while still holding down the fn+r keys.

I changed the multiplier of the third and fourth core to 27 and undervolted by -60mV. Where do I get this stock bios file named Yx01.bin?

Thanks so far :)

I changed the multiplier of the third and fourth core to 27 and undervolted by -60mV. Where do I get this stock bios file named Yx01.bin?

Thanks so far :)

Just download a bios from the Lenovo website for your model, use 7zip to extract it and then you will see a file with the extension ".bin" and rename the file to Yx01

• Thumbs Up 1

Just download a bios from the Lenovo website for your model, use 7zip to extract it and then you will see a file with the extension ".bin" and rename the file to Yx01

Ok I'll do that. And then I need to put it on a bootable DOS drive like at the installation of the modded bios? I hope it will boot from the usb drive.

edit: Okay I did that and it didn't boot. I don't know if it's important but before that happened I set USB Boot to off and BIOS Backflash as well. I continue to hope for a solution and thank you for your help so far :)

it worked wow. thank you so much

For those who don't like the restrictions Lenovo put on their system, here's a BIOS mod that will get you back at least some of the freedom you should have over your own hardware.

Features:

• WLAN card whitelist removed, any (hardware-wise compatible) card should now work
  • hidden BIOS menus unlocked
  • VBIOS tweaked for more performance and better tuning possibilities

Keep in mind that not necessarily all of the BIOS options available with this mod will be fully functional, so use the new available settings with care.

If you're unsure about something don't change it and ask here, someone might be able to help.

Available for v1.07 / v1.09 / v1.10 and v3.05.

v2.04 and v2.07 added (only whitelist removal as for now)

If you have a different BIOS (or more specific, a BIOS newer than 3.05) I will need a copy of it in order to make it work for your system.

Instructions for flashing the modified BIOS v3.05:

You need a USB stick prepared to run DOS, here is a guide you can follow in case you don't know how to do this:

Guide by @StamatisX - thanks!

>>> Before continuing make sure the AC adapter is connected to your laptop and your battery has at least 20% charge remaining. <<<

• (0) - NOTE: This step is Only necessary if your system isn't already using BIOS v3.05
    Update to the official v3.05 BIOS provided by Lenovo
  • (1) - Create a backup of your own BIOS (now v3.05) by using this tool.
    Extract the files and run the included .bat file from an admin command prompt.
  • (2) - Download the files for the v3.05 mod, put the files of folder [1] to the root of your prepared USB DOS stick.
    Let the BiosFixer prepare your BIOS for flashing by drag and dropping your backup file on it. Put the created "v305mod.bin" file to the root of your USB DOS drive as well.
  • (3) - Now you need to downgrade the firmware back to v2.07 in order to flash the mod.
  • (4) - Boot from your USB DOS drive, when you see the command prompt type BIOS and hit enter. Wait until the BIOS is flashed (you can safely ignore warnings about non-existing regions).
  • (5) - Once the BIOS flash completed with no errors, type EC and hit enter. Wait until the EC is flashed. Then reboot.
  • (6) - Go to the BIOS setup menu, load the default settings, apply and reboot.
    Done. In case you're using an ultra bay GPU follow the instructions in post #2 and flash the vbios..

NOTE: It's crucial that you flash both, BIOS and EC. Having different EC and BIOS versions can in certain situations lead to issues.

IMPORTANT: If you want to go back to stock v3.05 you can do that easily by simply using the official update from Lenovo. That's it, nothing additional required in this case.

Old instructions for users with v1.07 / v1.09 / v1.10 or v2.04 / v2.07 who for some reasons don't want to update to v3.05:

• Create a backup of your own BIOS by using this tool.
    The archive contains the files of the program and a .bat file that will create a backup of your BIOS. You need to call the .bat file from an admin command prompt.
    Don't delete your backup file, you will need it in case you want to go back to the stock BIOS some times. Also don't share it since it contains your personal Windows key including activation.
  • Download the attached BiosFixer, simply drag and drop your BIOS backup on it and it will create your personal mod for you.
  • Flash the modified file with the tool from the first step, use the command below:
    fptw64 -f v1xxMod.bin -bios

• Wait for the flash process to finish, if you don't get an error reboot. (You can safely ignore warnings about non-existing regions).

Video walk-through of bios settings (thanks @allstone):

My donation link in case you want to buy me a beer ;)

I may have joined Bobbey in the y510p brick club after turning off "Special Features" in the video section of the BIOS.

The laptop rebooted, with a blank screen, interestingly it did load Windows I could hear the sign in. But after I reset the system, it has not since booted into Windows and I also suspect it may not be entering BIOS either cause I have not been able to reset the BIOS settings or undo my step (I did write down the key strokes to undo that). Any suggestions are welcomed!

So.... do you have any pointers on doing the BIOS swap? Is it easy to do without any special tools? Is there a diagram or photo available (or that someone is willing to take) of the motherboard and the locations of the chips?

It's very promising that you Lizzo have been able to recover from the black screen of death so please share with us the specific details so noobs like Bobbey and I can get our laptops working again. Huge thanks in advance!!!

Ok I'll do that. And then I need to put it on a bootable DOS drive like at the installation of the modded bios? I hope it will boot from the usb drive.

edit: Okay I did that and it didn't boot. I don't know if it's important but before that happened I set USB Boot to off and BIOS Backflash as well. I continue to hope for a solution and thank you for your help so far :)

Did you read the part where Lizzo says he took it apart and did a physical swap of the BIOS chips? I think you may have glanced over that part and it might explain why the USB recovery boot is not working - I also tried this but I assume it's because I haven't yet tried Lizzo's suggestion of swapping the BIOS chips. Hopefully Lizzo can chime in with more specifics on how he accomplished this.

I screwed up. I changed a setting in the BIOS to the graphics card and now there is nothing on the screen.I removed the CMOS battery but has NOT reset BIOS. It has a jumper or something? I copy a stock bios file(from Lenovo website,i use 7zip to extract) on a flash drive (named Yx01.bin). I made the flash drive with HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. I holding down fn+r then plugging in the power adapter and finally pressing the power button(1 second) while still holding down the fn+r keys.Nothing happens :(. I just changed in the BIOS restart delay(video) from 100ms to 300ms.I'm doing wrong? How upgraded to the factory? Thanks for your help!

Guys it seems like the forum has been updated and the last page of this thread got lost :( could you please send this image of both BIOS again and Lizzo would you please explain again what I have to do and what I should say to a computer expert in such a shop when I give them my laptop? Huge thanks in advance :) !!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, some of our previous discussion on doing the BIOS chip swap was replaced. Anyway, I opened up the system to look for these BIOS chips as indicated by @Lizzo and believe these are the ones:

post-38746-14495000727783_thumb.jpg

If Lizzo can confirm that would be great, also any tips on performing the operation would be most appreciative. Ie: specific step by step instructions and what tools are needed.

Yes, some of our previous discussion on doing the BIOS chip swap was replaced. Anyway, I opened up the system to look for these BIOS chips as indicated by @Lizzo and believe these are the ones:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15908[/ATTACH]

If Lizzo can confirm that would be great, also any tips on performing the operation would be most appreciative. Ie: specific step by step instructions and what tools are needed.

Thanks and that is exactly what I need :) are you guys sure it is save to swap these chips and it's going to solve this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

So excited to get this mod, my wifi takes almost two minutes to recover from sleep! Then half the time it doesnt even pick up wifi again, says there are no available networks. So of course i put it back to sleep and wake up again, poof they magically appear. When I run the troubleshooter, windows just says wifi adapter is turned off. This is just crazy!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15908[/ATTACH]

Sorry for not being on in a while, but those are in deed the BIOS chips