My Y500 SSD just died. :-(

octiceps

Well, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later, but my 16GB SanDisk U100 mSATA SSD cache has finally kicked the bucket after just 3 months of use.

It happened just like others have reported. The entire system suddenly froze during use and Intel Rapid Storage popped up saying the SSD had been unplugged. Checked RST, Device Manager, and BIOS and the SSD had completely disappeared from the system. There were a million disk errors logged in Event Viewer and now the laptop takes about 10 minutes to boot up. It just hangs on the Lenovo splash screen with the spinning circle for about 10 minutes. I need to physically take out the dead SSD to get normal boot times back. Yep, this thing is Most. Certainly. Dead.

The fact that I knew it was probably coming doesn't lessen my anger in any way. If Lenovo had any brains it would've issued a product recall or switched to another SSD altogether since it's obvious they either got a bad batch or this particular drive is prone to extremely premature failure. I don't doubt every single Y500 owner with the SSD has already had it fail or will have it fail in the near future. Yet 10 months after release Lenovo continues to sell the Y500 with 16GB SSD through its website and other online retail channels as if nothing were wrong.

This is already my third Y500 unit after having gone through two defective ones in short order. Oh, Lenovo support is gonna have a ball with me when I unleash upon them.

• 4 months later...

My 1TB HDD and 16 GB SSD cache are both working just fine nearing one whole year. It may just be that your particular part is defective and should be covered under warranty. Or else, it's also the perfect time to buy a larger mSATA SSD and replace your dead one. You'll have more storage space with the benefit of using SSD.