14" Lenovo Y450 + GTX560Ti@2Gbps+c-EC1 (PE4H 3.2) + Win8.1 [inyallan]

inyallan

Hello folks -

I have struggled for days figuring out how to install my Lenovo Y450 with eGPU GTX 560TI. Thanks to Nando for all the help. He's been patient with all of my stupid questions. Also, you need to have a lot of PATIENCE and LUCK (for the driver)!

NOTE: THE LAPTOP MONITOR CANNOT BE USED AS YOUR MAIN MONITOR FOR THE GTX560Ti. That is unless you apply the Chung Gun/Ultramon method that drags a *windowed app* from the eGPU LCD (virtual) to the internal LCD.

Pictures

coming...

Hardware configuration

Lenovo Y450 T6600 2.2Ghz CPU

8GB RAM

NVidia G110M dGPU, no iGPU

Windows 8.1 Preview 64bit

eGPU:

PE4H v3.2 EC2C (express card)

Thermaltake ATX 430 Watts

NVidia GTX 560Ti

Installation steps

1. Install DIY Setup 1.20 or newer.

2. Run windows and disable driver signing and enable testing. Download unified 320.20 driver containing both the G110M and GTX560TI PCIIDS: LaptopVideo2Go: Drivers

3. Clear all the nvidia drivers using Guru3D video sweeper.

4. Reboot.

5. Select Setup 1.x from the Windows boot menu

- PCI Compaction->Run (I got 256MB free)

- PCI Ports->Hot Reset Port (select the eGPU)

- Video cards->Initialize the eGPU

- Chainload->Test Run (MBR)

I hit F3 after each one so it was automatically added to my startup.bat, though vidinit needed to be manually moved to be after 'call pci' else it BSODs. Means on subsequent runs I only need to select the "automated startup via startup.bat" boot option and not navigate the menus:

call speedup lbacache
call vidwait 300
call iport reset 2
call pci
call vidinit -d %eGPU%
call chainload mbr

6. Boot Windows 8.1 Preview in safe mode

7 . Install the unified 320.20 driver. Install from untrusted driver - click it when prompted.

8. Reboot

9. Do step 5 but when chainload to Windows bootloader in (6) run it in normal mode

Benchmarks

DX9/DX10/DX11 ones from http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html#implementations

post-16845-14494996018733_thumb.png

Hope this helps! :)

post-16845-14494996018938_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 2

My y450 is slightly different from yours. Mine is with GT 130m graphic card, and i've been trying to solve my "error 12" in device manager without any progression.

I understand most of your steps except the follow line. Could you please tell me how to "got 256MB free"?

I dont know if my problem is related to 4G memory limit since i only left 1 GB memory on motherboard. I've already tried 36bit(56.25G) item in SETUP 1.10b5 version, resulting in black screen after windows 7 four-color booting peroid.

Also i tried some other DTST method.

Thank you very much.

- PCI Compaction->Run (I got 256MB free)

btw inyallan, could you tell me your BIOS firmware version? I tried 17CN28WW and 17CN38WW. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
My y450 is slightly different from yours. Mine is with GT 130m graphic card, and i've been trying to solve my "error 12" in device manager without any progression.

I understand most of your steps except the follow line. Could you please tell me how to "got 256MB free"?

I dont know if my problem is related to 4G memory limit since i only left 1 GB memory on motherboard. I've already tried 36bit(56.25G) item in SETUP 1.10b5 version, resulting in black screen after windows 7 four-color booting peroid.

Also i tried some other DTST method.

Thank you very much.

btw inyallan, could you tell me your BIOS firmware version? I tried 17CN28WW and 17CN38WW. Thanks.

Hello kivist, so sorry for the delay in my response. I have troubles in accessing this forum due to password thing. and the site is not very upfront in password reset.

Did you solve your problem already?

- - - Updated - - -

@robynasi

Why the internal LCD can't be used?

It depends on the motherboard of your laptop. some motherboards can support that.

- - - Updated - - -

I also own a 130m model Y450 and I'm wondering whether CPU would be a throttle after the upgrade. Would it be worthwhile upgrading T6600 to P8800 or P9600?

not entirely clear what your question is. :)

all components of your computer, of course works hand in hand. the faster the CPU the less bottle neck your external GPU will have. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just wondering how much performance improvement I can get from the upgrade. Can I run Crysis 3 smoothly at high or medium setting after this upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am not entirely sure to be honest. but i played a decent frame rate on Tomb Raider 5, under normal settings.

Well yeah I guessed that.

I suppose I need to research my choices in processors...

I agree with Khengish.

I suggest - buy a laptop with a good processor with no dedicated vcard.

Look for the highest PCIe speed for faster transfer rate to and from the ext vard. :)