Microsoft acquires Skype for 8.5 Billion Dollars

mw86

Internet Communications vendor Skype was purchased May 10th for $8.5 Billion. In a seperate buisness division, Skype CEO Tony Bates has been promoted to President and will now report to Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. Lync VOIP platform, Outlook mail, Messenger instant-messaging, Hotmail Web mail and Xbox Live gaming service will be integrated with Skype allowing cross talk between those services. Microsoft was bidding against Google and Facebook for Skype and won. Apparently the largest monitary aquisition under Microsoft's belt of many thus far. Read about it here...

Microsoft buys Skype for $8.5 billion; creates new business division | ZDNet

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I gotta say the winner of this instant messenger war is gonna be either Xfire(owned by Viacom) or MSN so make your picks.

The Vegas line is 2 to 1 in favor of msn, but is hard to discard Viacom with full support of the MTV networks and Comedy Central.

The sad part is that I rely on skype for many things and I use it everyday for many hours inluding on Linux, I would hate to see it limited only for Windows..

your so right and we can't do anything at all about it except take it from them. When something gets in Apples way it designs something as a response... Microsoft assimilates it only to take a good thing and F*** it up!

• 3 years later...