AMD APU with eGPU? help

pasport

Hello!

I have a HP Pavilion g6 laptop with amd a8-3520m APU. I planning to buy a pe4h adapter with radeon hd 7750,

but i dont know how the APU will respond for the egpu.

Please help me!

I think Tech Inferno Fan will be able to give you an answer.

Hello!

I have a HP Pavilion g6 laptop with amd a8-3520m APU. I planning to buy a pe4h adapter with radeon hd 7750,

but i dont know how the APU will respond for the egpu.

Please help me!

No previous implementation exists. You'd be pioneering this one. So important steps to check are:

- there is no expresscard slot on the G6. How accessible is the wifi mPCIe slot?

- do you have free PCI space to host the HD7750?

- is there a unified driver for the HD6620G (APU) + HD7750 eGPU?

So going ahead has some risk involved.

Have you instead considered offloading the G6 for say a HP Probook 4530s? The Probook has a pci-e 2.0 expresscard slot, can be upgraded to a Sandy Bridge i7-quad and has a HD3000 iGPU so you can get Optimus pci-e compression and internal LCD mode with a NVidia Fermi/Keplar eGPU. Those systems have also been modified easily with a 1080P LCD and are a favorite for Hackintosh. Should be available for a low $$ on ebay too.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

I am 100% new to this, have not looked into it whatsoever.

I do know that I want to put some money into it and create a powerful gaming computer out of the one I currently own.

The idea of having something portable for when I need to take my laptop to class and be able to come right back, hook it up, and go enthralls me.

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC

Product #: A6Y53UA#ABA

Processor: AMD A8-3520M APU

GPU: AMD HD Radeon 6620g

(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03188483)

I would like to use a GeForce GTX 660 TI, or something along those lines.

I need to know things like:

- Will I need to buy a cooling system?

- What cables will I need?

- Will I need to take apart my laptop?

- Will I need to reinstall windows 7?

Is it cost efficient to do this, or should I just go out and build a gaming desktop?

How much will this cost me in the end?

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it to the fullest!

-Kenny

I am 100% new to this, have not looked into it whatsoever.

I do know that I want to put some money into it and create a powerful gaming computer out of the one I currently own.

The idea of having something portable for when I need to take my laptop to class and be able to come right back, hook it up, and go enthralls me.

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC

Product #: A6Y53UA#ABA

Processor: AMD A8-3520M APU

GPU: AMD HD Radeon 6620g

(HP Pavilion dv6-6c35dx Entertainment Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Support)

I would like to use a GeForce GTX 660 TI, or something along those lines.

I need to know things like:

- Will I need to buy a cooling system?

- What cables will I need?

- Will I need to take apart my laptop?

- Will I need to reinstall windows 7?

Is it cost efficient to do this, or should I just go out and build a gaming desktop?

How much will this cost me in the end?

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it to the fullest!

-Kenny

This thread should help you http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-[version-2-0].html

Your link failed there @Suoah

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html

You will want to read through that carefully (a few times).

I'm running with a GTX 660Ti as well. Mine is connected over ExpressCard with the PE4L.

You will need:

video card of choice

adapter that works with your system

a PSU for the video card (desktop psu or a xbox 360 psu seems to be popular)

case is optional, MikjoA doesn't use one.

You would only need to take apart your laptop if you don't have a ExpressCard or TB slot/port, which it appears you do not have. You would have to connect your eGPU over an internal mPCIe IF you can. This is sometimes hard to do if there is a hardware whitelist in the BIOS. @MikjoA has his connected this way.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2158-diy-egpu-guide-sony-vaio-vpc-z2-svz13.html

Would have do something similar to that.

You do not have to reinstall windows 7 (in most cases). the Setup 1.x is installed afterward, and you can remove it if need be (I had to do this multiple times in order to get some random bugs on my end).

Your link failed there @Suoah

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html

You will want to read through that carefully (a few times).

I'm running with a GTX 660Ti as well. Mine is connected over ExpressCard with the PE4L.

You will need:

video card of choice

adapter that works with your system

a PSU for the video card (desktop psu or a xbox 360 psu seems to be popular)

case is optional, MikjoA doesn't use one.

You would only need to take apart your laptop if you don't have a ExpressCard or TB slot/port, which it appears you do not have. You would have to connect your eGPU over an internal mPCIe IF you can. This is sometimes hard to do if there is a hardware whitelist in the BIOS. @MikjoA has his connected this way.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2158-diy-egpu-guide-sony-vaio-vpc-z2-svz13.html

Would have do something similar to that.

You do not have to reinstall windows 7 (in most cases). the Setup 1.x is installed afterward, and you can remove it if need be (I had to do this multiple times in order to get some random bugs on my end).

Thanks you for the quick response!

If I decide to go ahead and try it, I will let you all know how it goes!

I'll keep you all posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, when you say I will need a video card of choice, do you mean gpu of choice?

If you do mean video card of choice, will the one already in my computer work?

you will probably need to use the wifi mpcie slot. Llano gen hp definitely have whitelist. Even if you solve the whitelist issue, you are stuck with non optimus x1 which is a significant bottleneck, in fact the llano would bottleneck the 660ti pretty badly.

Thanks you for the quick response!

If I decide to go ahead and try it, I will let you all know how it goes!

I'll keep you all posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, when you say I will need a video card of choice, do you mean gpu of choice?

If you do mean video card of choice, will the one already in my computer work?

I meant the external GPU of choice (in your case the GTX 660 Ti ). From the spec sheet, it appears you do not have a onboard video chip/card.

you will probably need to use the wifi mpcie slot. Llano gen hp definitely have whitelist. Even if you solve the whitelist issue, you are stuck with non optimus x1 which is a significant bottleneck, in fact the llano would bottleneck the 660ti pretty badly.

This as well. Without optimus you will be hurting performance wise. Your dv6 isn't really a good system for an eGPU project.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html

This would be a good place to start.

Your dv6 isn't really a good system for an eGPU project.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html

This would be a good place to start.

Yes. Suggest offload it for a 15" HP 4530s or 12" HP 2570P. Both have expresscard slots and are x1.2Opt capable. Just note to avoid a Radeon card or GTX650 cards (GTX560Ti/660/670 etc are OK) for the 4530s as can't fit in the 32-bit PCI space. 4530s is i7-quad and 1080P upgradable. 2570P is the most powerful tiny desktop replacement system with an expresscard slot on the market when upgraded to a i7-quad and is available for a very good price on ebay.

• 7 months later...

hey Tech Inferno Fan can you help me out. I need some advice. I want to do an egpu setup with my HP Pavilion 17. I know it may be difficult to pair an apu with an egpu but I really wanna test it. I have pics of my mini pci express slot if you wanna see it. I really wanna try this out. Any suggestions on what graphics card may be suitable with the apu?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.