2012 13" MBPr + GTX660@10Gbps-TB1 (Sonnet EE SE) + Win7/8 [Strandmatte]

Would this same setup work with a sonnet SEL as well?

I'm attempting this now. So far, none of the sequences for turning it off till holding option then turning it on as it starts Windows have worked for me. Always I see in Device Manager no Display Adapters other than the internal 650M.

Does anyone have advice?

I paid Tech Inferno Fan to get the DIY EGPU Setup 1.3.

The guides I saw about plug and play said that it required a 2013 MacBook, so it sounds like I'll need the EGPU Setup but the instructions in this thread original post sounded like the GPU should be at least detected before running EGPU software.

What do you think?

Thanks to Tech Inferno Fan and everyone providing guides, I hope I can figure this out and add another data point about a config based on what is surely going to be a popular setup for those who want a TB2 enclosure cheaply like the Sonnet SEL. (I'll have to upgrade to a Broadwell MBA or MBP with TB2 when they come out around Christmas).

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4570-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-rmbp-gtx660-sonnet-echo-express-se-%40-10gbps.html#post63754

According to that guide, the Echo boxes require splicing up the cable to prevent the slot from providing power and to only allow power to come from the PSU because the Echo lacks some kind of power timer delay.

This is a little intimidating.

Can anyone confirm if this is necessary to get the Sonnet Echo SEL working? Also I saw guide pictures but it would be AWESOME if someone could record a video of how this is done.

Okay thanks for the pictures and updated diagram. I just finished soldering it together and I'll give it a try. I recorded some video clips that could help illustrate it for others in future.

It didn't work. I have yet to see it detected by EGPU Setup or Windows Device Manager Display Adapters. I soldered the ATX PSU to PCIE riser cable as instructed and that keeps the card from spinning up its fans when the Sonnet Echo SEL is plugged in and turned on. I boot with option held, wait for drives to apepar, turn on the 550W Antec VP550 PSU plugged into the 6 and 8 pin connectors on the GTX 780, wait 3 seconds, release option and hit return, I get asked to boot Windows or EGPU Setup. If I pick EGPU setup, it can't see it and compaction hangs. If I pick Windows, Device Manager doesn't show anything except the internal 650m dgpu. I've done all the things, what do I do now?

Wait a second. The card must have its fans spinning, otherwise it means it is not working.

What card you have there? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EVGA GTX 780. The fans spin up when I hit the power button on the PSU which is giving it all its power via the 6 and 8 pins and the ATX-PCIe spliced wires that would otherwise be powered by the Sonnet slot.

Here's a picture:post-27230-14494997780139_thumb.jpg

Is it a problem that the ATX PSU cable I spliced is a 20-24 pin with some of its wires coming out as splits from the 20 connected to to the PSU? I couldn't find any colored 24-24 pin cables at Fry's only the all red kind which would be tricky to keep organized.

Yes, I think it looks ok. You can remove the other end and all wires not used and keep only one end to connect to the PSU. Use a needle to remove the wires from the connector.

Disconnect the video card from the slot and remove the sonnet echo.

Start the PSU with one fan connected to it and with a multimeter check all wires for voltages and see if all of them are wired properly.

If all good, reconnect everything and boot again, before windows boot loader manager connect thunderbolt. If no sign of video card, cold reset a couple of times. But it should work if you test it a little.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

So Sonnet SEL AC connected, Thunderbolt not connected to Mac yet.

PSU off.

Boot Mac holding option.

When drives appear, release option.

Power on PSU (while thunderbolt isnt connected yet).

Wait 3 seconds.

Hit return to boot Windows.

Plug in thunderbolt to Mac before bootloader appears.

Look for video card detected.

Is that the right sequence? I'll try it.

Tried that a few times and no luck still. I was excited that I managed to freeze it by plugging in Thunderbolt after 3 seconds from the PSU power-on but before it was done clearing the boot drive selection screen. At least freezing is different from what usually happens: Boots fine but no display adapter detected.

Just tried that. Sonnet connected to start. When Windows bootloader menu appears, I turn on PSU and card fans spin up. After three seconds I hit down and return to use EGPU Setup. Not detected.

Got no ideea, cause it is a mac not a pc or a laptop. On pc usually reset button or ctrl+alt+del works. Try with fn key maybe? Or use a pc keyboard on usb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found the reset menu option in Setup 1.3. Resetting didn't make it detect. Thanks for helping me figure this out Nando and Arise. I'm a bit confused though. Is Refind a possible way to diagnose anything?

I think the wiring could be wrong, maybe you wrong labeled the sides or didn't count the wires properly or the riser is not soldered properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't label it wrong and I have some soldering experience so I don't think that's the problem. I'll try voltmetering it but I suspect I may have to try a UEFI install. Can that work on a MacBook off of an external USB drive? Otherwise I might test it on my MacBook Air as doing a clean install isn't an option on my main MacBook Pro Retina atm.

I guess I'm going to try the UEFI route since the wiring reset method didn't work. I hear UEFI is problematic on a MBPr 2012 though and that only 2013 MBAs have native EFI 2.0. Do you have a recommendation for a guide to doing it on my machine?

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2012 13" MBPr + GTX660@10Gbps-TB1 (Sonnet EE SE) + Win7/8 [Strandmatte]