2012 13" MBPr + GTX660@10Gbps-TB1 (Sonnet EE SE) + Win7/8 [Strandmatte]

Hey guys,

At last I got my eGPU to work:haha:

Since there is no guide on how to set up a double width full length graphics card with the native 10Gbps Sonnet Echo SE Thunderbolt to PCIe adaptor, I want to write down how it worked for me. Thank you Nando for supporting me. It was a bit of work to get me up and running :tennis:

My hardware configuration

2012 13" Macbook Pro 13 Retina, i7-3540M 3.0Ghz, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Win8/64-bit

or
Thunderbolt-to-pcie 10Gbps 60W enclosure. They are
. Only difference is the
has a 3yr warranty (vs 1yr) and a black exterior (vs silver).

a salvaged ATX PSU

NVidia GTX 660

Steps to get it working

1. You need to cut the gpu from power supply through the adaptor and reconnect it to the PSU. This is needed because the Sonnet Echo SE comes without a PCI Reset Delay. Done by following the wiring guide created by MystPhysX (here).

2. Wire everything up.

3. Install Windows 7/8 via Bootcamp

4. Boot with PSU/eGPU powered OFF

4.1 While booting hold alt/option key to get to the boot-menu

4.2 Power ON the PSU (eGPU should start) and wait 3 secconds

4.3 Select Windows

4.4 eGPU should be detected --> install driver

5. Install DIY eGPU Setup 1.30, run c:\eGPU\egpu-setup-mount to get drive v:\ and use notepad to create the two text files in the spoiler:

v:\config\startup.bat

call speedup lbacache

:: wait for eGPU to appear on the PCI BUS
call vidwait 60

:: initialize NVidia eGPU
call vidinit -d %eGPU%

:: Perform the pci-e fixups
call pci

:: Chainload to the MBR
call chainload mbr
:: Speed up end-to-end runtime of startup.bat using caching

v:\config\pci.bat

@echo off echo Performing PCI allocation for 2012 13" MBPr based off Tech Inferno Fan's findings . . . :: The X16 root port @echo -s 0:1.1 1c.w=6030 20.l=AE90A090 24.l=CDF1AEA1 > setpci.arg :: Underlying Bridges in order from high to low @echo -s 4:0.0 1c.w=5131 20.l=AB00A090 24.l=C9F1B801 >> setpci.arg @echo -s 5:3.0 1c.w=4131 20.l=A700A200 24.l=C5F1B801 >> setpci.arg @echo -s 7:0.0 04.w=7 1c.w=3131 20.l=A300A200 24.l=C1F1B801 28.l=0 30.w=0 3c.b=10 >> setpci.arg @echo -s 8:3.0 04.w=7 1c.w=3131 20.l=A300A200 24.l=C1F1B801 28.l=0 30.w=0 3c.b=10 >> setpci.arg :: The NVidia eGPU @echo -s 9:0.0 04.w=400 0C.b=20 24.w=3F81 10.l=A2000000 14.l=B8000000 1C.l=C0000000 3C.b=10 50.b=1 88.w=140 >> setpci.arg setpci @setpci.arg set pci_written=yes

5.1 save everything and shut down

6. Boot with eGPU powered off

6.1 when asked to boot Windows or DIY eGPU Setup, select DIY eGPU Setup and power on the eGPU

6.2 in DIY eGPU Setup boot-menu select "1. automated startup via startup.bat". It should do it's stuff without any errors or warnings.

6.3 you'll be asked to boot Windows or DIY eGPU Setup again. This time select Windows.

7. Your eGPU should work:Banane38: You can install any game you like and enjoy! :Banane06:

Benchmarks

3DMark results:

IceStorm

CloudGate

17466: 3DMark06 result

And some stats from my experience:

Battlefield 3 Ultra graphics settings and Full HD --> 40 fps

new Neverwinter MMO on all graphics settings maxed --> 35-40 fps

Metro last light on maximum settings --> runs fluently (didnt check the fps but it looks nice)

• Thumbs Up 9

Nice job!

You've done pretty much what I did for my project all those months back. I was supposed to write a guide for Nando4 about this but I fell ill shortly after starting it. Since the Echo Express SE is the same thing as the Helios I would request that @Tech Inferno Fan makes this the official guide for both systems as you finished your guide way before me.

One thing I would like you to add to your post if this becomes the general guide.

To get an AMD card to run don't bother with the text files, just follow these steps the first time you enter Setup 1.30 (tested with HD 7950 and HD 5850):

1. Change the chainloading option to "mbr".

2. Perform 32-bit compaction on "All devices on pcie bus".

3. Select "Test Run".

4. Everything should work now, just choose "1. automated startup via startup.bat" when you want to run your eGPU next.

The steps here remain the same for the 15" (which I have) as well. The only thing that changes is the setup for an Nvidia eGPU (tested with 2 different GTX 560ti's) THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT

1. You need special drivers to run both the 650m and GTX 5/6/7xx together. Use the latest from here; you have to have the 650m enabled so don't bother doing anything else.

2. Follow the instructions for an AMD eGPU.

3. You're done, good luck!

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is great work!

I have a few questions though. How much strain does this place on the actual thunderbolt port? Isn't there a lot of heat generated in the process?

I am also pretty confused with the wiring of the whole set up. I am definitely intrigued into trying this set up, but on the contrary thinking about buying a new tower PC, (but that would be a bit more expensive). Could you please explains the first two steps more deeply? Or would it become obvious once I actually buy the Sonnet Echo SE?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

5. Install DIY eGPU Setup 1.30, run c:\eGPU\egpu-setup-mount to get drive v:\ and use notepad to create the two text files in the spoiler:

Hey! Im on the journey of putting this together. Can't wait to see how it works!

One question, according to the quote above, is that data (the two text files) only for your MBP? As i have an early 2011 i5 2.3ghz, 16gb ram, would i need different text files or is that okay?

thanks!

Hey! Im on the journey of putting this together. Can't wait to see how it works!

One question, according to the quote above, is that data (the two text files) only for your MBP? As i have an early 2011 i5 2.3ghz, 16gb ram, would i need different text files or is that okay?

thanks!

Based on your i5-spec you'd have a 2011 13" Macbook Pro. Setup 1.30 can do PCI Compaction with that model and so generates an automated pci.bat for you. No need to reference a sample pci.bat file.

Would be great if you could document your experience with more detail. You can see that see pashashocky would like more detail on creating the PCI Reset Delay extender cable. Unfortunately Strandmatte is MIA to explain, possibly gaming on his rMBP :)

EDIT: I've removed your posts asking the same question in other threads.

Tried the pci express riser card mod presented here and a couple of notes.

Low power cards (without 6/8 pins connectors) won't work. The PSU will shut down immediately. Discovered that I also need to connect a ground to make it work.

Second, my MSI 680 lightning will run its fans at full speed and is kinda annoying. Any solutions/ideas about this? Will that issue go away once I install the drivers?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Nice job!

You've done pretty much what I did for my project all those months back. I was supposed to write a guide for Nando4 about this but I fell ill shortly after starting it. Since the Echo Express SE is the same thing as the Helios I would request that @Tech Inferno Fan makes this the official guide for both systems as you finished your guide way before me.

One thing I would like you to add to your post if this becomes the general guide.

To get an AMD card to run don't bother with the text files, just follow these steps the first time you enter Setup 1.30 (tested with HD 7950 and HD 5850):

The steps here remain the same for the 15" (which I have) as well. The only thing that changes is the setup for an Nvidia eGPU (tested with 2 different GTX 560ti's) THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't look like Strandmatte has been on since he posted the steps-by-step on making his Sonnet Echo SE setup.

Since I'm thinking about doing the same thing with my 2012 15" rMBP, I was wondering if anyone with a similar setup could answer a few questions before I get started (MystPhysX, you mentioned you had something similar)?

With the PCI riser delay mod, do you have to start the computer and wait 3 seconds before switching on the eGPU every time, or is that just during the initial setup?

Does your computer always ask if it should boot into windows or DIY eGPU every time it starts, or only with the initial setup?

How much of the DIY eGPU initial setup is reversible if there are problems?

Hi, i have a sonnet echo SE, and MBP 13" retina i5/8GB/256SSD nvidia club 560 ti.

I have a raiser expansion pcix and have the modifications in the wiring to connect to PSU.

The DIY setup 1.30 don´t detects the card.

but in another test with ATi x300 works good.

i use the pci.bat and config.bat, but dont work :nonchalance:

v:\config\startup.bat

Code:

:: Speed up end-to-end runtime of startup.bat using caching

call speedup lbacache

:: wait for eGPU to appear on the PCI BUS

call vidwait 60

:: initialize NVidia eGPU

call vidinit -d %eGPU%

:: Perform the pci-e fixups

call pci

:: Chainload to the MBR

call chainload mbr

v:\config\pci.bat

Code:

@echo off

echo Performing PCI allocation for 2012 13" MBPr based off Tech Inferno Fan's findings . . .

:: The X16 root port

@echo -s 0:1.1 1c.w=6030 20.l=AE90A090 24.l=CDF1AEA1 > setpci.arg

:: Underlying Bridges in order from high to low

@echo -s 4:0.0 1c.w=5131 20.l=AB00A090 24.l=C9F1B801 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 5:3.0 1c.w=4131 20.l=A700A200 24.l=C5F1B801 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 7:0.0 04.w=7 1c.w=3131 20.l=A300A200 24.l=C1F1B801 28.l=0 30.w=0 3c.b=10 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 8:3.0 04.w=7 1c.w=3131 20.l=A300A200 24.l=C1F1B801 28.l=0 30.w=0 3c.b=10 >> setpci.arg

:: The NVidia eGPU

@echo -s 9:0.0 04.w=400 0C.b=20 24.w=3F81 10.l=A2000000 14.l=B8000000 1C.l=C0000000 3C.b=10 50.b=1 88.w=140 >> setpci.arg

setpci @setpci.arg

set pci_written=yes

Hi, i have a sonnet echo SE, and MBP 13" retina i5/8GB/256SSD nvidia club 560 ti.

I have a raiser expansion pcix and have the modifications in the wiring to connect to PSU.

The DIY setup 1.30 don´t detects the card.

but in another test with ATi x300 works good.

i use the pci.bat and config.bat, but dont work :nonchalance:

1. If the GTX560Ti isn't being detected then that is the root cause of your problem. The pci-e riser wiring should be such that it delays the device appearing on the PCI BUS so you can boot the system and then you power on the eGPU to see if detected in Setup 1.x and/or the OS.

2. The rMBP has 2 Thunderbolt ports both with different addresses. The sample pci.bat is based on using the one closest to the LCD panel (back) of the system.

1. If the GTX560Ti isn't being detected then that is the root cause of your problem. The pci-e riser wiring should be such that it delays the device appearing on the PCI BUS so you can boot the system and then you power on the eGPU to see if detected in Setup 1.x and/or the OS.

2. The rMBP has 2 Thunderbolt ports both with different addresses. The sample pci.bat is based on using the one closest to the LCD panel (back) of the system.

I tested:

ATI x1600 - no PSU needed - black screen.

Nvidia quadro fx4600 - no PSU needed - black screen.

I can´t install nvidia driver in windows 7, but no detects the card.

I test to start from usb DiY setup, and change pci.bat and config.bat. but always when start up, the Diy setup dont detect the card, shutdown the PSU and unplug the thunderbolt but nothing..

Tomorrow i will post pictures.

anyone Have an idea?.

Thanks for al Nando4!!

Works!!!! :haha:

stesps:

post-14517-14494996347209_thumb.jpg

post-14517-14494996347959_thumb.jpg

post-14517-14494996348716_thumb.jpg

The trick is:

-First boot from DIY setup, and when apears freebsd, start on the psu, and the DIYsetup detect the card

-clik on disbale IRQs unused

-click on pci compactation

run test option

and windows detect ok the card.

post-14517-1449499634685_thumb.jpg

post-14517-14494996347603_thumb.jpg

post-14517-1449499634834_thumb.jpg

Since there is already an nVidia GPU in the rMBPs, are they a better choice for people who will use their laptops with and without the eGPU, since they will share drivers?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The GT750M dGPU is a liability in the latest 15" rMBP when it comes to eGPU use and battery life when used under Windows. That's because the Apple dGPU implementation doesn't allow for the iGPU to be accessible in Windows, hence no NVidia Optimus internal LCD mode or x1 pci-e compression (if doing Expresscard-TB implementation).

Better to get the Iris rMBP model. When specced with the same RAM, CPU and SSD size they cost the same too. Apple appears to know that the Intel Iris iGPU only model is more valuable to some users.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2012 13" MBPr + GTX660@10Gbps-TB1 (Sonnet EE SE) + Win7/8 [Strandmatte]