MSI GX640-260US Supports 7970m Nicely!

jonny30bass

Hello I just wanted to share my experience with upgrading my MSI GX640 with a Dell 7970m ES flashed with the Clevo HM Enduro Off vbios. I have the card up and running nicely with an idle temp of around 38C at clocks of 300/150 with 0.825V. I did a lot of heatsink mods so that the 7970m would work properly with my laptop.

Here is a picture of my heatsink: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Also I overclocked it using ASUS GPU Tweak. I'm running it with a stable overclock of 1000/1400 @ 1.1V. I did a 3dMark 11 Basic Edition benchmark and got a system score of 6420 with a gpu score of 7355. Here is a link to the results: AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-740QM Processor,MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-1656

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
Wow I didn't even realize you can add heatsinks like that! I will be taking mine apart shortly and doing that as well as it should improve overclocking results substantially. What type of thermal paste/glue did you use?

Your just use double-sided thermal tape to keep the small heatsinks in place. I use arctic cooling's mx-3.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys :) I'm a new here and I wanna mod my laptop MSI GX740 like a removed my old graphic card 5870m and upgrade with Radeon H7970m with gpu Wimbledon. I'ts possible to do this thing? I shoud searching card H7970m from DELL? or other producers are good to? sorry but my english is terrible I known that :/

Hi Jonny I have MSI GX740 and I wanna to change graphic card from H5870m to H7970m like You have. If I buy this card H7970m from dell laptop so is a little chance that it works without flashing vbios in MSI GX740? or I must searching someone who has laptop Clevo Alienware and flashing this card in his laptop?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...