Y400/Y500 power supply 170W+?

clarenc3

Hi all,

I was wondering what PSUs people are running on their SLI systems? Is the official 170W really enough on full load and overclocked?

Also, does anybody know what the connector type is called? I was thinking of getting a ~200W brick and using an adaptor to make it fit the Lenovo.

Cheerio

Hi all,

I was wondering what PSUs people are running on their SLI systems? Is the official 170W really enough on full load and overclocked?

Also, does anybody know what the connector type is called? I was thinking of getting a ~200W brick and using an adaptor to make it fit the Lenovo.

Cheerio

I'm using the 170 W Lenovo adapter and it's been fine so far when overclocking and overvolting. Others who have the 750M SLI system have remarked that 170 W is not enough when overvolting that configuration so they bought Dell Alienware 240 W adapters from Amazon with a conversion cable to fit the plug on the Y500. You can get any number of Alienware bricks of different wattages such a 180 W, 240 W, and 330 W from Amazon, and it may be preferable to getting the official Lenovo one even if you don't need the extra power as the Alienwares tend to be slimmer and cheaper. The conversion cable can be found here: X75 Power Connector - 7.4 x 5.08mm Female Jack to 5.5 x 2.5mm Male Plug

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! quick random post, thought it might fit here. I recently bought a second Ultrabay GT 650M, found a deal on Ebay that was too good to pass up. Might still be some left if anyone's interested, only $145! Anyway, I received a PA-1121-16 power adapter with my Y500, and it doesn't list the power output ANYwhere on it. Under output it reads 19.5V - 6.15A, and that's it. I'm thinking that I'll need a new adapter for SLI funtime, but I was wanting some sort of confirmation. So anyone with an SLI config and the proper adapter, could you possibly confirm? Thank you!

Hello! quick random post, thought it might fit here. I recently bought a second Ultrabay GT 650M, found a deal on Ebay that was too good to pass up. Might still be some left if anyone's interested, only $145! Anyway, I received a PA-1121-16 power adapter with my Y500, and it doesn't list the power output ANYwhere on it. Under output it reads 19.5V - 6.15A, and that's it. I'm thinking that I'll need a new adapter for SLI funtime, but I was wanting some sort of confirmation. So anyone with an SLI config and the proper adapter, could you possibly confirm? Thank you!

Watts = volts*amps. So 19.5V*6.15A = ~120W. You're gonna need a more powerful adapter for SLI.

Watts = volts*amps. So 19.5V*6.15A = ~120W. You're gonna need a more powerful adapter for SLI.

Wow. DAMN. Thank you sir. I feel a little bit silly cause I'm sure I've covered that in physics but its been so long....yikes. I might have to take another class now so I stop feeling so dumb.

Seriously, thank you for the reply and quick lesson! I'll be getting a bigger adapter straightaway. Haven't seen any on Lenovo's website, so I'll browse Ebay and try to find a good seller.

Wow. DAMN. Thank you sir. I feel a little bit silly cause I'm sure I've covered that in physics but its been so long....yikes. I might have to take another class now so I stop feeling so dumb.

Seriously, thank you for the reply and quick lesson! I'll be getting a bigger adapter straightaway. Haven't seen any on Lenovo's website, so I'll browse Ebay and try to find a good seller.

This is the official Lenovo 170W charger from their website: IdeaPad 170W AC Adapter (UL) | Lenovo | (US)

You can bring it under $70 (as well as get significant savings on anything else from the website) if you sign up for a free Barnes and Noble Gold account here: https://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/barnesnoblegold/StdAffinityPortal/en_US/Lenovo:EnterStdAffinity?affinity=barnesnoblegold

Others have decided to skip the overpriced and bulky Lenovo adapter altogether and buy an Alienware charger of sufficient wattage (180W or 240W) from Amazon: Amazon.com: dell alienware ac adapter: Electronics

And use this converter cable to fit the DC jack on the Lenovo: X75 Power Connector - 7.4 x 5.08mm Female Jack to 5.5 x 2.5mm Male Plug

• Thumbs Up 1

when you make overclock the charger gets hot or not??

So that should be the new overclocking metric, how hot your laptop power brick gets. Nice... :snicker:

The charger gets hot when you game, just like every other one for every other laptop, overclocked or not. No I didn't try to measure any potential increase in surface temperature after overclocking. ROFL. As long as it's not running out of juice, that's all I care about.

Bought today some Acer 20V 7.9A supply, gonna check if it runs with 650m SLI config. Also found out that when battery is charging my GPUs are downclocking in Splinter Cell Blacklist, when set GPU to max performance it hangs with blue screen :(

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently bought a second 650M for my Y400. I've ordered the 170 W brick, but it hasn't arrived yet. I've got the second card swapped in to my laptop with the original 120 W brick at the moment, but my laptop doesn't even seem to recognize that the second card is there. It generates heat, so I know that it's turned on, but there aren't any SLI settings to be accessed in my nvidia control panel. So my question is - does the second card need the 170 watt brick to function at all? Is my problem going to be fixed with the 170 W brick, or is something else to issue here?

• 4 weeks later...