MSI GX60 can't boot to USB.

T3hFirefly

Hello. I bought a MSI GX60 several months back. I really hate Windows 8. Not as user friendly when you start messing around with network settings and other things. And some of my games like GTAIV I had to download a cracked launcher just to get it run because SecuROM kept crashing (If you don't believe I own it check my steam library). I tried to ignore it til I read that Higher clocked Ram can boost the Graphics Performance of A10 processors and that the processor can get up to 3.2GHz. I bought some sweet 2133MHz Ram but I also read that the laptop wouldn't support anything over 1866 with out getting Xonar's custom BIOS and setting it to XMP. I made my self a bootalbe DOS USB and pluged it into my GX60. Pressed F11 to get to the boot Menu selected the USB then it Brought me back to the Boot menu after a quick screen flicker selected the USB again and it proceeded to boot me into windows 8 for some reason. I did the process again in a different USB slot. Same result. Assuming it was the USB its self I tried it with 3 other USB drives and ended in the same result.

I used rufus 1.3.4 and made 4 different bootable dos USB. I tried both MS-DOS and FreeDOS on all 4 of the drives. I put Linux Mint XFCE on one of them (using YUMI) and it game me the same result.

Is what I tried to use. They all ended in the same result. Bootmenu select USB. Screen flash. Select USB. Boot to Windows 8 for reasons XY&Z.

Am I missing something? Does it need to be a 4GB USB(smallest I got is 8GB)? Does it just not like the brand? I used 3 different Sandisk USBs and a PNY USB drive. Does it just not like Fat32? Could I possibly do it from Windows 8?

I haven't changed anything Hardware wise. Its all stock. My 2133 ram is still in the box.

MSI GX60

AMD 4600m (2nd gen APU I believe)

8GB of ram 1600 (Stock ram)

Stock 750GB HDD

I really don't want to be stuck using terribad Windows 8 (even with start8 I still find it annoying to use) and if that's the case what if my HDD fails how do I reinstall the OS it won't let me boot to the Disk Drive

And Thanks.

Well I was able to flash it. But unfortunately I have seemed to have created a $1200 Paper Weight in the process. IDK what I did wrong actually. I switched it to legacy. Flashed the BIOS (It did it in like 15 seconds). The laptop shut its self off before I could do anything. Turned it back on the come to a wonderful Orange light and Black Screen. I unplugged the CMOS for about 20 seconds. (At least I assume I unplugged it.)

post-16631-14494995964597_thumb.jpg(I think this is the CMOS battery)

I was unable to do a Hard-Flash I never heard the beeps that should take place.

What if I start up the laptop with out the Cmos plugged in at start up?

Well I was able to flash it. But unfortunately I have seemed to have created a $1200 Paper Weight in the process. IDK what I did wrong actually. I switched it to legacy. Flashed the BIOS (It did it in like 15 seconds). The laptop shut its self off before I could do anything. Turned it back on the come to a wonderful Orange light and Black Screen. I unplugged the CMOS for about 20 seconds. (At least I assume I unplugged it.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8765[/ATTACH](I think this is the CMOS battery)

I was unable to do a Hard-Flash I never heard the beeps that should take place.

What if I start up the laptop with out the Cmos plugged in at start up?

Hmm, did you flash a BIOS for win8 or win7? Yes that's the CMOS battery, nothing will happen if you try to start without the battery.

Download your original BIOS from MSI and put it on a fat32 USB stick without renaming it and then try a blind flash.

I got the unlocked bios from here.

MSI G-Series Unlocked BIOS

I tried to hard flash it with the Win8 BIOS from here

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GX60-Hitman-Edition.html#/?div=BIOS&nbos=win8

However no matter what I press I can't get it to do a blind-flash. Ctrl+FN+PgUp, Ctrl+Alt+num7, Ctrl+Alt+Delete. No beeps to indicate its doing a hard flash.

Have you read this?

@srw134:

I tried to mod the BIOS for my GX60 by myself and I think I did everything right but AFUDOS always told "error 18, not able to start a secure session" or something. I tried with /RECOVERY and whatever it did or not looked dead to me. So I rebootet -> black screen.

So what I noticed then:

When turned on for a very long time (10min?) the USB-Stick-LED started to show some activity. I read more about these BIOSes: I have an AMI Aptio UEFI Bios. You need the same version of BIOS as you already had and it should have it version-number as name. For me E16FKAMS.D06 as filename for the BIOS (4mb filesize).

I don't know what helped as I had both a CD with nothing but this BIOS-file and a USB-Stick. Start the notebook and wait. If really nothing happens then it's dead. My notebook showed HDD-activity at the very early bootstate -> something was alive! After some time the CD started to run (again, maybe 10mins after booting).

They also say that holding Ctrl+Home before turning on and holding for some time until you recognize that something inside is working should force this blind recovery.

I don't know what it was but after 10-15min with CD and USB-Stick with the BIOS-image it rebooted into the BIOS with a new menu for recovering BIOS (recovery mode). Pressed enter to flash this BIOS -> reboot. Everything like it was before :)

Hope this helps you and maybe someone else. I didn't expect it to take THAT MUCH TIME. About 10-15mins to load that BIOS-file from CD (i guess it was the CD as it was running...) and loading it. Maybe this blackscreen after AFUDOS filename /p /RECOVERY was the same "blindflashing" and I, stupid as I am, cancelled it by rebooting -.-

Does anyone know what to do with this Error 18 of AFUDOS?

Is /RECOVERY bad?

Did anyone use AFUWIN? I killed another notebook once by flashing from Windows. But it was an ASUS-tool and I read a lot about these.. After it's killed, you read a lot, yes -.- 70€ for a new flash... So I'm very carefull now :D

http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/1839-msi-g-series-unlocked-bios-46.html#post50102

I burned the Offical MSI BIOS to a disk. and put it on all my USBs. Pluged them into all the usb posts and put the CD with the BIOS files in the Disk drive and left it on over night. (I press Ctrl+Home etc. And came back to the same black screen. I called MSI and they said I could send it in and get the MoBo replaced probably at a price but hopefully I can get them to upgrade the processor to a 5750m from the 4600m. It will be the next best thing. And the sky rocket of Ram prices will leave me wit a Profit on the 2133ram that I could use to pay off MSI.

If your system is still covered by warranty then you can just send it in, that should not be a problem. And as long as you didn't remove any "warranty void if removed" seals MSI won't care if you opened your system. Maybe they won't even care if such stickers are removed, I heard that they are pretty tolerant there.

I'm not familiar with the MSI Bios recovery procedures... all I can offer is a Bios chip programmed with the proper firmware.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
hi...

i need help, please

my gx60 start withe a black screen after unlocked the bios.

what can i do?

If you have flashed with the wrong BIOS, You need to make a bootable USB with an auto executing .bat file with the correct vbios and blind flash.