Y500 Blank Screen on Boot

Usraek

Hello,

I've had my Y500 for a few months now without incident but as of a few days ago I started having a problem. During startup, the screen will just be black. Not blank, but black as if it hasn't turned on. The backlight for the keyboard is on though. I end up having to restart the computer multiple times before the Lenovo logo comes on and it starts.

I've performed every toubleshooting step I can think of to try and determine the issue without much luck. Sometimes it seems like the GPU is giving the problems and others it seems as the LCD is the problem.

I've tried it on A/C only, battery, with the SLI card, without, with external display, without. Most times it will boot into Windows fine without power to the LCD, other times the LCD with be backlit with a blank screen and it doesn't boot. Most of the time the external display will work, and others it will not initialize. I've tried this with and without the SLI card inserted.

I'm going to keep monitoring the behavior in the next few days, but unfortunately I am going on holiday very soon and I don't have enough time to contact Lenovo for warranty work until I get back in two weeks-ish. It has been working fine intermittently, and runs fine once it does work. Maybe I should just leave it sleeping or hibernating instead of a cold-boot to Win 7 every time.

I've seen a couple other posts of people having a similar issue without any response. I plan to open the bottom and re-seat my RAM, SSD, and HDD when I get home tonight. I also plan to check to see if there is any similar behavior while hibernating or sleeping.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Is anything logged in Windows Event Viewer that might help you diagnose the problem? Can you run Memtest86+ to rule out bad RAM? What video driver are you on? It might be a good idea to upgrade to the latest ones like 326.41 or 326.80 if you're on an older one as a lot of bug fixes have come out recently. I was getting a lot of crashes and black (blank) screening in some games with 314.22. Even idling at the Windows desktop would sometimes results in TDR's (video driver crashing and recovering itself). All of that is gone since upgrading to 326.41 and now 326.80 and both have been rock solid for me. Like you said it's a good idea to sleep or hibernate in the meantime while you're diagnosing this issue.

I'll run a Memtest later.

I'm not sure the video drivers are to blame nor anything in Windows due to it happening before POST and any operating system loading.

I did notice that sometimes while using the second display the device manager only showed the TV under monitors installed. Maybe even the LCD cable?

Hrrrmmfffggghh

I'll run a Memtest later.

I'm not sure the video drivers are to blame nor anything in Windows due to it happening before POST and any operating system loading.

I did notice that sometimes while using the second display the device manager only showed the TV under monitors installed. Maybe even the LCD cable?

Hrrrmmfffggghh

Yeah it could be the cable. No idea how something like that gets loose but it's a possibility. I recall reading somewhere else that another owner also had this problem.

• 10 months later...
Hello,

I've had my Y500 for a few months now without incident but as of a few days ago I started having a problem. During startup, the screen will just be black. Not blank, but black as if it hasn't turned on. The backlight for the keyboard is on though. I end up having to restart the computer multiple times before the Lenovo logo comes on and it starts.

Thanks

Hello,

I've got exactly the same problem. Did you find out, what was the problem?

I don't want to restart my laptop 8x before I can work on it and I don't want to give it away for a month to servis when everything works fine after successfull boot.

Thanks

Sorry, I never came back to clarify.

I had to send it in for warranty repairs, it was indeed the LCD (LVDS) cable that was faulty.

It took a while so I forgot that I had even made this post!

Sorry, I never came back to clarify.

I had to send it in for warranty repairs, it was indeed the LCD (LVDS) cable that was faulty.

It took a while so I forgot that I had even made this post!

Thank you for coming back and updating the post. A lot of threads go into the nether without ever being resolved.