New gaming laptop - better that M14x with 650M

Komurka

Question

Hello.

Can you help me with chosing really good gaming laptop that will:

- be better that M14x with i7 and 650M GeForce (about 2x more fps)

- be pretty quiet at full load / doesn't require any additional cooling

- can look crapy and have crapy display; I'll be connected to monitor most of the time anyway

Thanks in advance :)

i think g750jx price is reasonable..770m with i7 haswell or if u could find a used msi gt783 with 580m that will be sweet too, well the bottom part is ur budget.

Good advice I think, but I wouldn't recommend the 580M - it's last generation tech, runs hot with high current consumption, has a fairly high hardware failure rate, and is nowhere near as fast as the 770M. The 770M is excellent though.

Someone can correct me if im completely out of line on whether this is good or not, but over at xoticpc there's a "Sager NP8235" Rocking one of them newer I7's and a 770m for pretty darn cheap. Might be something to look into. I have no experience with it, the specs are awesome, and since its sager i assume its build quality is pretty good.

Someone can correct me if im completely out of line on whether this is good or not, but over at xoticpc there's a "Sager NP8235" Rocking one of them newer I7's and a 770m for pretty darn cheap. Might be something to look into. I have no experience with it, the specs are awesome, and since its sager i assume its build quality is pretty good.

Yep, seems pretty good to me :-)

Given one of your criteria was not too loud I'd watch the Sanger's they use barebones manufactured by a company called clevo and most seem to consider their fans noisy. They are great performers for the money and keep cool but might want to do some soul searching on the noise. couple of example models below though there others:

W230ST review (sanger NP7730)

P150SM review (sanger NP8250) this has a 765m in but there are other review on the notebookcheck site, genterally a great site to start if you are looking for a new laptop.

You'll pay a premium for the ASUS G750 but its supposed to be pretty quiet.

G750 review

Most of these you can get with a couple of GPU options:

>the 765 looks ~2x as fast as your 650

>the 770 being ~2.5 times as fast.

There is also the MSI Barebone which is supposed to be a little quieter than the clevo's for a little more money. Not sure where you'd find those in the US though.

MSI example review

In this gen i think the 765 looks price/performance sweetspot more than that you are looking at diminishing returns. again this is from notebookcheck where they have a pretty full comparison list for GPUs

However then I'm looking at a 780m in a Clevo shell so even i don't take my own advice!

I got one of these medion erazer notebooks..

They are very cheap and have very good cooling, especially those designed by the german hardware community pc games hardware.

Got the x7819 and with a gtx 670mx overclocked i can reach high framerates on games like crysis 3 and rome 2 for just under ~1200€

I got one of these medion erazer notebooks..

They are very cheap and have very good cooling, especially those designed by the german hardware community pc games hardware.

Got the x7819 and with a gtx 670mx overclocked i can reach high framerates on games like crysis 3 and rome 2 for just under ~1200€

Hi Rambo, you've got the same GPU as me; yep, they're awesome for overclocking. Did you flash a modded vBIOS to it? How far did you manage to overclock it?

I'd definitely say Asus is the way to go for bang for your buck type of purchase. I've also heard Clevo's been making some "affordable" powerhouses but I don't have any personal experience with that brand yet other than the Clevo 680m that I'm currently running in my M18x. I've owned a couple Asus Republic of Gamers laptops before and they did just fine for what I payed for them. Just my 2 cents!

Good luck!

I may be wrong but I'd risk saying that most of the high performance GPU laptops run quite hot and loud. Having said that unless you overclock there is probably no need for any extra cooling, although I must say that my GPU in Asus G51j broke :(

Just recently I got the new Alienware m18, and this laptop is running quite and cool even under load :) It is gigantic, heavy and the battery life sucks though :)

Personally I use the Lenovo Ideapad Y510P and It's quite the power house. It has a 4700MQ and GT 750 SLI. If you play most main stream games you don't have to worry about SLI compatibility. I haven't played a game that couldn't be on high/ultra and get at least 30 FPS. I see 75FPS in Skyrim with 20+ graphic mods including 2k texures.

I also overclocked both GPUs +135Mhz and Memory OC by 400Mhz.

The new MSI GT series are pretty nice. Good value, looks, and performance. Steelseries keyboard (lovin' it) and you can upgrade CPU/GPU/RAM easily. It has two years warranty if it matters to you. I would recommend getting the 15" one since you'll be connecting to a monitor. MSI GT60 20D: 4th gen CPU, 780M GPU, great speakers, gaming network card, backlit keyboard, gold flashed audio ports for the extra bling hehe.

2x the FPS might be a bit of a push unless you keep diamonds in your wallet, I'm using a Lenovo Y410P with an i7 and Nvidia 750m, you can also stick another 750m in these bad boys if you sacrifice the cd-rom. I'm not sure you'll be able to double your FPS but it should improve considerably with two GPU's. I'm quite poor but these laptops are a bargain, only $800 and if you dont live in America bundlebox is a great service to get it sent to you. Only downside is these laptops come with an awful wi-fi card but it only cost an extra $30 to pick up the latest intel or $40 for a Bigfoot and there easy to install after a simple bios update.

What is your budget? if 1k I would say one option is a y510p with 750m SLI, not exactly 2x 750m performance but I would guess around gtx 770m. It also has an i7 4700mq and has a 1tb with an 8gb ssd cache hybrid drive. The screen is a 15.6 inch 1920x1080 screen. it has 8gb ram and a backlit full keyboard with number pad for $999.99. There is a cheaper option with the same except an I5 4200m and 6gb ram for $879.99 And a more expensive version with the same as the 1st but 16gb ram. If I were to get one of these three I would get the 1K one and upgrade the ram later if needed. I might even, if I had the money throw in my own ssd and use The HDD externally.

Given one of your criteria was not too loud I'd watch the Sanger's they use barebones manufactured by a company called clevo and most seem to consider their fans noisy. They are great performers for the money and keep cool but might want to do some soul searching on the noise. couple of example models below though there others:

W230ST review (sanger NP7730)

P150SM review (sanger NP8250) this has a 765m in but there are other review on the notebookcheck site, genterally a great site to start if you are looking for a new laptop.

You'll pay a premium for the ASUS G750 but its supposed to be pretty quiet.

G750 review

Most of these you can get with a couple of GPU options:

>the 765 looks ~2x as fast as your 650

>the 770 being ~2.5 times as fast.

There is also the MSI Barebone which is supposed to be a little quieter than the clevo's for a little more money. Not sure where you'd find those in the US though.

MSI example review

In this gen i think the 765 looks price/performance sweetspot more than that you are looking at diminishing returns. again this is from notebookcheck where they have a pretty full comparison list for GPUs

However then I'm looking at a 780m in a Clevo shell so even i don't take my own advice!

I have the Lenovo Y510P and it is very quiet. Even when gaming with bith gt 750m in sli it is still relatively quiet. It also packs as much punch as a GTX 770m as long as the game supports SLI. Most do nowadays. Get it on sale and you will be very happy. Only issue i have is the wifi card is a bit lame but if you disable the whitelist on the laptop you cna swap wifi cards. got mine with i7 4700mq, gt 750m sli, 8gb ram etc for $680 open box from newegg.

I'd personally avoid MSI if I were you. Myself as well as many other friends have had SERIOUS issues with MSI. Bad monitors, video cards failing, lighting connections breaking. Excessive flexing in the case is a major issue with mine. The turn around time for a fixed laptop is also pretty terrible.