I have fixed gaming on battery... Please do not repost in other forums

If you choose to post in other forums, Please have the integrity to list STEVENXOWENS792 as the solution...

1. Step 1, hit f2 on bootup and go into bios.

2. Choose Advanced tab. (Note also make sure you have stock bclk)

3. F10 to save and exit.

4. Boot into Windows 7.

5. Create a power option called GAMING ON BATTERY.

6. Choose advanced options for this power setting.

7. Set PROCESSOR POWER MANAGEMENT TO MINIMUM 90 AND MAXIMUM 90 PERCENT FOR BATTERY. (For Steady FPS)

8 Set Intel Graphic Settings to Balanced for Battery.

9 Set (Graphic Processor State) Nvidia Graphic Settings to Balanced for Battery

10. Save

11. Choose your new gaming on battery setting and reboot!

Go have fun and game for approx an hour on battery.

Your welcome...

StevenX

Edited by Stevenxowens792
  • Thumbs Up 8

How did I test this you ask.. simple.. I did it, played Battlefield Bad Company 2 MP online for 30 minutes and still have another 40 left on battery. Frame rates were 60fps settings, high, shadows low, no AA/AF. Fraps running to give me constant rates. It would dip into the 40s from time to time but no issues.. totally smooth.

StevenX

I keep wifi on max power and performance just to try the gaming online... and it worked great. It just lowers battery.. I guess you could make a seperate profile for online vs offlline. But yep, disable alienfx and all the other "Doo Dads" that eat up da juice.

StevenX

The root cause is how much the battery is allowed to output vs what is needed to keep the CPU/GPU stable. On my 15x (which I am selling as of tomorrow) will play the games full blast for about 15-20 minutes. No overclocking or anything. So if we can play with 555 at modest levels and the cpu at around 1.5ghz on 8 threads it's still pretty powerful for gaming on the go. And much more powerful than the m11x on full blast. I may see the exact percentage vs full the cpu will allow for battery gaming but I have proven for over 30 minutes that 75 percent of the 2630qm is stable.

Best Wishes, StevenX

It looks like your fix sacrifices some CPU performance which reduces power consumption and probably helps prevent the throttling that most users are seeing while trying to game on battery power. Nice work Steven.

Not sure why NBR doesn't want knowledgeable people like yourself posting on their forum. After you left they decided to harass Martin, the brains behind HWiNFO. In typical communist fashion, they deleted any posts supporting Martin and his contributions to the community and then locked the thread to prevent further discussion. Great.

You won't see that kind of asinine behavior over here on Tech | Inferno.

Edited by unclewebb
  • Thumbs Up 6

I'm sorry to hear NBR did the same to you Martin! I'm glad you are all here, they don't seem to appreciate what contributions you or any of us here make to the community as a whole.

In typical communist fashion, they deleted any posts supporting Martin and his contributions to the community and then locked the thread to prevent further discussion. Great.

Fuck them!

• Thumbs Up 3

Really, wow.

on the side note, Freakin steve you did it. I never got the chance to do it when i got home since i had to work on some stuff.. (Flash) but yeah, very impressive. Sucks they don't have you anymore.

What did HWinfo do to them?>

• Founder

Nice job steven, this is going to be very useful for M14x users. And yeah it's NBR's loss and our gain. Give us your downtrodden, give us your knowledgeable posters, give us your poor...okay..you get my drift :)

• Thumbs Up 2

The folks in NBR are stomping and wondering why why why you can't game full power on the battery. Im sure that dell can mod the bios so you can. And you will get about 20-25 minutes on full power gaming. Think about it this way... 45-47w for cpu. Another 45 to 50w for gpu. So the battery needs to output about 100 watts not including the LCD. Nope... not gonna last long.

Like I said before, I can game on full power without overclocking for about 20 minutes on the m15x. I guess that's one MP match of BFBC2 if it goes smoothly.

Being able to game for over an hour at medium power is pretty good in my book. I had turbo enabled and high power gpu and couldn't game. I then lowered the gpu to balanced with turbo enabled and I couldn't game. I changed it to my settings above and I can game fine.

StevenX

As I said at NBR, the best of both worlds if you're just going to game, getting the M11x would be the best option. Since you can game in full power. IF you are very particular of the power output rather than the game itself. I can deal with medium power in gaming because it's all about the game not the goodness of the graphics.. hahaha :D :D Love this world. We all want the perfect laptop..

I'll quote my friend

"The perfect laptop is the laptop that you can be productive with."

whether in game or work. What can float your boat.

• Thumbs Up 1

On my post it says as long as they give me credit it's ok with me. They have to come to this site to read the fix. The response from a member at NBR is something like we want gaming on full power. And again.. my response is.. ok, you can game for 20 minutes on full power.. so why would you want that? Why not game at medium power for an hour or more.

exactly, and we must understand that we're playing in bttery mode, so, dont expect miracles!

though, and without offending anyone, dont you think that is a lot of process just to play? I still think there must be a better way, or easy way, maybe a bios update or something...anyway meantime we have the "Steven way" :D

I can game a little bit on battery while on "Balanced" just that the clocks of the video card don't go as high. They cap out like at 350 or 400 instead of the stock "590" or whatever setting you have them at.

What about setting something over 75% max and set the minimum to 25% so that it saves more energy when its not needed... locking it at 75% min would keep it from saving power when there was an opportunity to according to CPU usage. Just a suggestion not a solid answer. SSD drives could save energy over their motorized competition. Probably can see 25% more battery life with SSD over platter drives. Another thing is you can try lowering the time it takes to turn Hard drive off when idle... your system isn't always going to be reading or writing to the hard drive every second or minute. I don't know, hope this helps a little. Turning your wireless lan radio off and Bluetooth off can save energy too. i'd mention brightness but I hate sacrificing brightness at all for battery life.....