Speccing up a new AW 18

elliott6307

Hi guys,

I had a M17x r4 but so much went wrong with it, AW decided to refund me my money so I could buy a new beast ;)

I am defiantly getting the GTX 780M SLI option.

The only option I am deciding on is the processor.

4800mq

4900mq

4930mx

Which one do you guys recommend?

I was worried about the 4700mq as it may become a bottleneck whilst playing demanding games.

Is the premium price for the 4930mx worth it over the 4900mq?

Is the 4900mq much better than 4800mq?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

I had a M17x r4 but so much went wrong with it, AW decided to refund me my money so I could buy a new beast ;)

I am defiantly getting the GTX 780M SLI option.

The only option I am deciding on is the processor.

4800mq

4900mq

4930mx

Which one do you guys recommend?

I was worried about the 4700mq as it may become a bottleneck whilst playing demanding games.

Is the premium price for the 4930mx worth it over the 4900mq?

Is the 4900mq much better than 4800mq?

Many thanks in advance.

It's tough since the 4930mx is so damn expensive. If you like playing around with overclocking then go with the 4930mx since you're spending a ton anyway. If you think you would leave one at stock or close to stock, then don't bother and go for the cheaper CPUs. There would only be a substantial performance advantage with significant overclocking.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the Alienware 18 with 780M sli and a 4800MQ CPU and it's working just fine; If you do not plan to OC your CPU, you should definitely put the money difference in SSD drive; I personally chose the 256G SSD mSATA option for boot drive, and even if it's only LiteOn OEM (at least when my laptop was assembled), I had no issues at all from performance or stability perspective - for sure I would rather had chose an intel or samsung mSATA SSD myself, but it would have been a little more expensive.

I was originally going to just get the 4900MQ as my CPU for my AW 18 (Which I just received yesterday!), but I was able to get one of the 30% dell mystery coupons so I went with the 4930MX since I was getting a great price. I agree with the people above though, get the 4930MX if you plan on overclocking a lot, otherwise just get the 4900MQ.