Why is my 3dmark11 score only in the 6000's after the new vbios? (GTX 780M SLI)

I'm also using the beta 326.58 drivers. Machine is Alienware 18 running dual 780Ms in SLI with 4700MQ cpu.

I was actually hitting 10000 in 3dmark11 before I did the vbios flash. But now I'm in the low 6000's.

Also, these cards were recently replaced by a technician from Dell. They seem to be running hot, IMO. I'm idling right now and my temp of the first GPU is 56 degrees and second is 47. They QUICKLY jump up to 90+ degrees C if I run any type of benchmark program.

I know I probably need to repaste the cards, going to buy some online, don't have any extra laying around.

Attached is screenshot from GPU-Z.

One thing I noticed...some programs like my GPU clock speed at like 130 MHZ, and memory speed at 100. That's what I'm overclocked to, and doesn't seem to be adding in the actual value and just lists the overclocked values. Is this normal or is something wrong?

post-16316-14494995948613_thumb.gif

post-16316-14494995948613_thumb.gif

Sounds like they're overclocking (seems as if boost is disabled) and your cards are overheating. On stock your GPU score should be around 14,000. Try resetting the vBIOS to stock and see if you're getting around those scores. I have seen reports of dell 780ms only scoring around the 5500-6000 mark out of the box.

Here's my results now: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,Alienware 01W2J2

I reinstalled 3dmark11 and it fixed it somehow. Odd.

Two things to note, though, on that results page. It says my cards only have 3 gigs of memory instead of 4 gigs. Secondly, it lists the core clock speed at 324 MHz.

Any ideas?

Is this new score "typical" for the system, or should I be getting higher?

Here's my results now: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,Alienware 01W2J2

I reinstalled 3dmark11 and it fixed it somehow. Odd.

Two things to note, though, on that results page. It says my cards only have 3 gigs of memory instead of 4 gigs. Secondly, it lists the core clock speed at 324 MHz.

Any ideas?

Is this new score "typical" for the system, or should I be getting higher?

Yeah that should be typical for a an SLI system. Your score seems low because of the CPU score, but in reality the cpu won't bottleneck the GPU's that much, if at all, the 4700mq is a great mobile processor, and no mobile processor, even OC'ed will be able to match the score of the a 780m SLI GPU Score.

Your CPU performance is completely destroying your overall benchmark result. This will even have an adverse effect on your GPU performance.

Install XTU and drop core voltage to 1.165v, leave it set to Adaptive mode. Set your long and short turbo power limits to 100 each, increase the turbo time window to at least 256 and set Processor Current Limit to 90 and see if your 4700MQ improves. (Don't try to change Core Current Limit. That will not work at all, and it will also force a reboot.) If this helps, tinker more with XTU settings to fine tune the performance. Also, go into the BIOS and make sure the overclocking features are enabled. Set your core multipliers as high as the BIOS will let you for each core.

Your CPU performance is completely destroying your overall benchmark result. This will even have an adverse effect on your GPU performance.

Install XTU and drop core voltage to 1.165v, leave it set to Adaptive mode. Set your long and short turbo power limits to 100 each, increase the turbo time window to at least 256 and set Processor Current Limit to 90 and see if your 4700MQ improves. (Don't try to change Core Current Limit. That will not work at all, and it will also force a reboot.) If this helps, tinker more with XTU settings to fine tune the performance. Also, go into the BIOS and make sure the overclocking features are enabled. Set your core multipliers as high as the BIOS will let you for each core.

Can this same advice be used for a 4800mq?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

@RPXZ yes, if your motherboard supports XTU it should work as a starting point. (I don't know what brand you have, so it is hard to give a carte blanche answer.)

You may have to adjust the power settings up or down and take the time to figure out what is best for your CPU. The higher you overclock, the move power is required. For an MQ processor you will have more limitations, but you should definitely be able to wring more performance from it. If you experience issues with the system shutting itself off (without overheating) this can be an indication that you are pushing the power settings too high and need to back down on them.

@RPXZ yes, if your motherboard supports XTU it should work as a starting point. (I don't know what brand you have, so it is hard to give a carte blanche answer.)

You may have to adjust the power settings up or down and take the time to figure out what is best for your CPU. The higher you overclock, the move power is required. For an MQ processor you will have more limitations, but you should definitely be able to wring more performance from it. If you experience issues with the system shutting itself off (without overheating) this can be an indication that you are pushing the power settings too high and need to back down on them.

Thank you for your response Mr. Fox! I have a MSI GT60 2OD with a 4800mq, the board supports XTU however I am at a loss on how to overclock the haswell chips. I will take your advice and make the changes and see what happens![h=1][/h]

As a general rule, is this the best way to config my Alienware 17 for daily use? do you have any tips?

Thanks

I have the i7-4800MQ but the "Turbo Boost Power time Window" option is greyed out, yet I have seen other peoples XTU profiles running alienware systems that have been able to mofify this, what am I missing?

Thanks

Hey, so I went to support.dell and changed to all related drivers and chose "chipset", then I downloaded:

Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Driver

and

Intel Management Engine Interface Driver

The first one tells me my system is not compatible and the second one says I already have a newer version of the driver installed on my system... Here is what I see in XTU (I took your profile Mr. Fox and used it, everything updated except the "Turbo Boost Power Time Window" which is grayed out and cannot be changed as you can see below:

http://i.imgur.com/hFTn4an.jpg