In the market for a Sager NP9570 / Clevo P570WM. Any advice?? X7200 Died on me. :(

DR650SE

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on since I'm deployed overseas.

Recently my X7200 dropped dead. I was playing Diablo 3 at work, shut down the laptop. Took it to my room and it wouldn't powrer on at all. Not even fans spinning for a sec. However the front indicator lights would turn on when the system was plugged in. I disassembled the laptop, cleaned it and nothing. Tried both seperate PSUs, nothing. Tried booting with no CPU, nothing. Pulled GPUs, nothing. Tried each CPU, nothing. So not sure how or what happened. Anyway being deployed I'm looking to get a new Sager NP9570 / Clevo P570WM. Below is a configuration I put together. From what I understand the 3970X is a bit much for the system. Being that it's 150W it makes OCing the system difficult. So I think I may drop the 3970X to the 3930K. This way I can keep it cool. Then when Ivy-E comes out, from what I see and understand (Please correct me if I'm wrong) the Sager NP9570 / Clevo P570WM will be able to support Ivy-E, so thats when I'll drop the real cash.

Few questions I had.

1. Is the Killer 1202 much better than the Intel card?

2. How much will I realistically be able to OC with Premas Bios?

3. Can I drop the TDP or play with voltage?

4. Will I realistically be able to drop in a 4970X when it comes out? Seems very appealing since it will have even lower power consumption than a 3930K.

Currently my plan is to get the min RAM, and if possible, order it with no OS/HDDs and just swap my old Sata 2 SSDs/HDDs from my X7200, into the Sager NP9570 / Clevo P570WM. Same thing with the RAM. Even though I only have 3x8GB sticks of 1333MHz, I figured it should be fine for now.

Below is a setup I'm looking at. Any advice? Which is the prefered boutique? Right now I'm looking at LPC-Digital, as Larry is a great guy and I got my Killer 1103 and Intel SSDs from him. However I wanted to purchase with not HDDs/RAM or OS, but was told by LPC that they can only sell full systems. I'm also looking at Powernotebooks.com as I can get a few more dollars off (from the price below) by paying cash upfront. I am waiting on them to answer whether or not I can order with no H

HDD RAM or OS.

Also going with the 3930K over the 3970X would save quite a bit, but you know me, I love to go big. :P Sorry if I jump around a bit, I'm typing this real quick from work before we have to start a mission.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Powernotebooks.com

Sager $50 OFF on orders of $1,350+

Special Promotion - $50 OFF - For Orders of $1,350+ (excluding Rush Order fee, Laser Tattoos, KingsCrypt, External Devices, Taxes and Shipping charges.) $-50.00

17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) 120Hz 72% NTSC Color Gamut Matte LED-Backlit Display (Model LP173WF2 (TP)(B1))

Dual nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 256bit w/4.0GB GDDR5 in SLi $950.00

Intel® Core™ i7-3970X Processor (3.5~4.0GHz) Extreme Edition - 15MB Intel SmartCache - 6 Cores-12 Threads $795.00

Sager Thermal Compound Standard

8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1600 Dual Channel Memory Standard

750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive Standard

Combo Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares Standard

External USB

9-in-1 Memory Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/SD/Mini‐SD/SDHC/SDXC)

Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1202 + Bluetooth™ 4.0 Combo Card $50.00

Windows 7 Ultimate - (64-Bit installed - 64 and 32-bit CD included) $205.00

Branding - Sager Logo

1-Year Parts and Shipping plus Lifetime Labor and 24/7 DOMESTIC Toll Free Support (Labor & Support paid by PNB) Standard

As Configured: $ 3969.00

3% Cash Discount: $ 119.07

3% Cash Discounted Price: $ 3849.93

• Thumbs Up 1

It sounds like your motherboard went out on the x7200. Possible to replace but a lot of work. If you have experience, time, and workspace, I would replace the motherboard.

If not though:

You can get barebone systems from RJtech here: Clevo P570WM, 17.3" Barebone Laptop, nVidia GTX 670MX 3GB or 680M 4GB Video Card, DVDRW

The P570 has a quad channel memory controller instead of triple channel on the x7200, so you want one more memory stick. Your current sticks are a bit slow, but you should be able to raise them to 1600 with XTU.

The 770m is only around half as strong as the 780m, so I highly recommend going with the 780m. Users have gotten hex cores thermally stable at over 4ghz, but they do run hot. It is much cheaper to buy graphics cards up front than it is to upgrade them later.

Yes IVB-E is supposed to be drop in compatible. The only question will be if clevo releases a BIOS to support it, or if they roll out a new system instead and refuse to update the BIOS in attempt to get more people to buy the new system (ex. P1xxEM and P1xxHM laptops not getting a BIOS to support the 780m). IVB-E will be a small upgrade, and with the chance that clevo will never make a BIOS supporting it makes me think you should just go with a good SB-E. The only real advantage of the 3970x cpu is the extra 3MB of cache, which is going to be a very small performance increase.

• Thumbs Up 2

As Khenglish says, if you'r set for X79 you might want to consider waiting for Ivy-E which is due in September. Slightly lower power draw will help.

The 3970X is definitely not worth the money (unless you desperately need that additional cache for whatever reason :)) because you won't be able to push it to the limits anyway...

Ivy-E support should only be a matter of a microcode update.

Still, you won't be able to push a six core cpu to the limit, not on that board. The power supply is too weak, the circuits on the board as well... you will certainly be able to get some very decent numbers, but you will hit a wall at a certain point.

Ivy-E will also introduce an unlocked four core CPU, but I guess that's not option for you :P

The Killer won't make noticeable difference imo, I had the 1103 in my M15x and got rid of it again.

What will make a difference is the memory, you should run quad channel memory on the X79 platform.

As for the overclocking you should take a look at this thread, those numbers should give you an idea about what you can expect: http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo-sager/3387-clevo-metabox-p570wm-monster-laptop-2.html#post52122

No more Alienware?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, Looks like Powernotebooks.com ist still cheaper in the end. Even if I'm stuck getting RAM, HDD and an optical drive, it comes out to something like $6 more than RJTech, and I can sell the HDD, RAM, and optical drive to recoup some cash.

@svl7, I wanted to go with Alienware, but in the end, really enjoyed having the 980X CPU. I've been doing a ton of video encoding, playing emulators, and of course, benching. Plus I really like having 4 full sized HDDs. It makes it easier to just install them by just swaping. I pretty much don't use my laptop unless I can plug it in, so to me battery life isn't a concern. But the big draw for me is being able to have 6 cores for folding@home, and some of the other stuff. Plus, it's enticing for benching to have the possibklity of a Ivy-E. At this point I realize that I will never get a full desktop overclocked experience. . That was the same case with the 980X. While I could put up some decent numbers, I just couldn't change the TDP and run with the true desktops. The board just isn't designed for it. I think I'm ok with that. Though I was able to run 4GHz stable for an everyday clock. But at the time the system died, it was running stock, only a GPU OC

Im definately still an Alienware Fanboi however :cool:

My original plan was to keep the X7200 as my mobile system and sell an old engagement ring I have. I can sell the ring (diamond) for about $4K. I was going to use all that money to build a home server, and a monster desktop. The other idea was going to be keep the X7200 and get the successor to the NP9570 / Clevo P570WM. But I'm deployed, and won't redeploy home until at least March 2014. I'm not sure I want to get into trying to repair the X7200.

I'm hoping the X7200 just has a dead motherboard, but those are not easy to come by. And I don't really have all the tools I would want. All I have is a small phillips screwdriver. Not much place to work, though I could do it at work.

*sigh* and I was just getting really into Diablo 3 (lvl 56 Barbarian. :P)

When I go home, if I get an NP9570 / Clevo P570WM, I may just part the rest of the X7200 (GPUs, RAM, Screen, keyboard, ect) and use the money to build a decent desktop around the 980x. Who knows. I want it all and I want it now! lol :P

EDIT: Why, on my T|I page, is everything centered? It's driving me crazy. Every post is centered, every line. :confuse:

Ah yeah, folding... well when it comes to raw power then an AW system can't keep up with a X79 board, even if it is gimped due to mobility.

I see your dilemma with the X7200... bad timing for it to die. Fixing old systems can be expensive and it's troublesome to find the parts, and if something else dies you have all the trouble again... that's when warranty comes it handy, and you only get this with a new system. If you can, get something new, it's always more fun to play with. :P

Also if you somehow have the possibility to sell the X7200 parts... do it as soon as possible, the price on the parts will only drop and it will become harder to find buyers, at least that's what I imagine.

Regarding the site... everything looks fine here, nothing centered, all aligned at the left side.

- There is no replacement on Clevos roadmap...and at least I will continue to support the system with BIOS updates... ;)

- You can raise the CPU voltage. The 3930K hits 4.5ghz on all cores and there maxes the cooling capacity of the system...go for that one or the bigger Octos and maybe through in an IV-E down the road...

- 4 RAMs are a must for Quadchannel (default 1600Mhz is max, but we OCed up to 2133Mhz stable on this system)

- GTX780M SLI

- One thing I miss with the Killer cards, which the Intel can do, is being able to receive WiFi and create a hotspot for other devices at the same time with just one card...

Hmm, must be a setting on my browser.

Yea, of all the senarios, the mobo dieing is something I didn't count on. I can part out the X7200 from here. Maybe even bench the 580M in the NP9570 :P But I will be able to sell a lot of the stuff. I had image backups of all my drives, and stored on two individual drives. I even just replacved the screen as it cracked when I was in transit out here. But I will definately be selling it.

So sounds like quad memory is a must. I may get that from the retailer then just so it's under warranty.

Also sounds like I'll be going with the Intel card.

I'm definately going to be going with the 780M SLI setup. I'm definately going to pickup Ivy-E when it's available. Then I can keep the 3930K and build a desktop around that. Then I'll be able to bench Ivy-E on a desktop with a simple swap.

OCing RAM is something I've never done. What kinda RAM would I need to get to get to OC to 2133MHz? I'm definately about maxing out specs and OCing :P

@Prema, Your work is great and another of the main reasons I want to invest in this system. Keep up the fantastic job!

Oh, and I'll definitely be getting a warranty. That's one of the main things I want to get since my X7200 isn't under warranty. Just need to decide how long out the warranty should go. 1-3 years?

Anyone know which screen is better? Matte 120Hz 72% Gamut, or the Gloss 90% Gamut 60Hz? I have a 90% gloss screen on my X7200 and it's a decent screen. Just havn't seen the 120Hz yet.

Anyone know which screen is better? Matte 120Hz 72% Gamut, or the Gloss 90% Gamut 60Hz? I have a 90% gloss screen on my X7200 and it's a decent screen. Just havn't seen the 120Hz yet.

I have the identical model 120Hz screen on my P170HM3 and love it, nice strong colors and the matte finish is very smooth...I would go for the 3D version, the P570WM3... :)

I have the identical model 120Hz screen on my P170HM3 and love it, nice strong colors and the matte finish is very smooth...I would go for the 3D version, the P570WM3... :)

Sounds good :D Thanks! That's what I'll do then. I've never used a 120Hz scree before so looking forward to it.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4

• Thumbs Up 1