Any tips on keeping the Y500 cool?

SavageNerdz

@sergioosh Yes they do it automatically and there is no user voltage control. The new Intel CPU's are very power-efficient and use almost nothing at idle.

@conscriptvirus The person used way too much thermal paste and for some odd reason used it in place of thermal pads on the graphics card?!? I use a dot smaller than a pea on the GPU and a small line about the size of a grain of rice on the CPU. Like I said before it's better to undershoot and use too little than use too much because once the computer is powered on and everything heats up the paste will spread out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Maybe it's a weird question but is there enyone have experiance with building an external cooler from a metal suitcase. The plan is to stuf some fans in (the more, the better) and fit the whole Y500 inside. I want to connect a 27" screen so it's no problem if I can't use the screen of the Y500. At the in- and outtake I want to fit 2 fans, the whole space will be stuffed with foam so there only flow air in and out at the right places. And maybe just maybe I'm going to fit 2 more fans at the outside...

Maybe it's a weird question but is there enyone have experiance with building an external cooler from a metal suitcase. The plan is to stuf some fans in (the more, the better) and fit the whole Y500 inside. I want to connect a 27" screen so it's no problem if I can't use the screen of the Y500. At the in- and outtake I want to fit 2 fans, the whole space will be stuffed with foam so there only flow air in and out at the right places. And maybe just maybe I'm going to fit 2 more fans at the outside...

Ive thought of this myself of making a enclosure that helps the cooling pad remove all that hot air I am always worried about overheating.

I'm going to repaste the CPU and GPU's, after that I plan to mod a Cooler Master Notepal U3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997872&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6146846&SID=1ktvlnhp5hldc

The three 80mm fans will be replaced by three 120mm. What I also want to do is placing one fan on each side (left and right) on the outtake. I want to make a push pull config out of it...

Did anyone try to increase the speed of the main internal fan?

I've tried repasting (still have to try Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra) and cooling pads with little to zero changes in temperature.

Normally the y500 doesnt reach more than 80°C, but as soon as the Cpu is fully loaded the temps skyrocket.

Last but not least: don't run Furmark on a non-gaming Laptop (i mean the real gaming Laptops with adequate cooling), will only do harm.

Yesterday I've tested my CPU and GPU with Crysis 3 running for 30 minutes. I've tested the Y500 with and without the backplate. And with the backplate on things where kooking inside especially the GPU. I'm using a Zalman laptop cooler but the cooleringfan has no results with the backplate on. I looked at where the coolingfan is mounted but the fan of the cooler and of fans of the Y500 are not facing each other. I will try to order a new backplate for modding and hopefully I can bring the temps down.

Results with backplate:

CPU 82C

GPU 93C

Results without backplate:

CPU 73C

GPU 77C

I posted this in an other thread.. It's good to see that the temps are drestically low with the lid off, but with a major downside.

I'm going to repaste the CPU and GPU's, after that I plan to mod a Cooler Master Notepal U3.

Cooler Master Notepal U3 Laptop / Notebook Cooling Pad, Up to 19" (3 x 80mm Configurable Fans) - Newegg.com

The three 80mm fans will be replaced by three 120mm. What I also want to do is placing one fan on each side (left and right) on the outtake. I want to make a push pull config out of it...

Somebody already did a similar thing, but instead of replacing fans, he added 2 (i think) more. Didn't make any difference.

@Zhadox that slowly kills the purpose of a "notebook". Why not buy a desktop?

Somebody already did a similar thing, but instead of replacing fans, he added 2 (i think) more. Didn't make any difference.

@Zhadox that slowly kills the purpose of a "notebook". Why not buy a desktop?

Well... I'm using this one (Y500) as a desktop, it's to big to hang out with it on the sofa anyway. And I "must" spend my money on somthing... :D

I carry it (Y580) each day to work and use it to play games at home at my desk, sitting on the sofa in living room, and sometimes play a bit of Skyrim in bed before going to sleep... It's not THAT big. Well, I used to have Dell XPS M2010, so every notebook looks small to me now ;)

post-15132-14494996343691_thumb.jpg

Getting back to the topic... I change energy settings depending on what I do. Some games work well without Turbo Boost, without OCing GPU, or even without Nvidia GPU. Lower CPU frequency works fine with most games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that when I drill small holes in the bottom cover there will be more airflow to keep the Y500 cool. Of course I will use a dustfilter... I've searched for a bottom cover but I didn't find one. I want to keep this one in case the project fails.

I searched at ebay and on Welcome to Lenovo Spare Parts -. Can anyone point me in the right direction please...

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9624[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9625[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9626[/ATTACH]the best way i have found so far is to totally rebuild the machine. more copper more fans= no heat

Well I'll be damned...

What kind of maximum temperatures under stress testing are you getting for CPU and GPU with this Frankenstein?

BTW great first post. :78:

Not the best looking modification, but if it does its job then well done.

I do not know how does the heatsink in y500 look by default, so I'm not sure what do you mean by "more copper". Did you add more radiators or...?

Your call. Here are the "before" pictures:

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2773-y500-disassembled-pictures.html

Y500 Disassembled (Pictures)

post-12330-14494996421091_thumb.jpg

i did in fact add to the radiators. i added about 1/3 more. it was too iffy to solder the parts. copper heat pipes melting point is about the same as the solder. i opted for a custom thermal adhesive instead. i mixed it in a 2 parts thermal compound (antec nano diamond formula 7), to a 3 parts devcon 2 part clear (low viscosity ) epoxy ratio. adding the extra copper to the heatsinks required me to modify the whole motherboard tray, as i also was going to add 2 fan to directly cool the thicker heatsinks. post-12330-14494996421857_thumb.jpg i will provide some temperature tests soon . i been really busy lately

post-12330-14494996421457_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9642[/ATTACH]

i did in fact add to the radiators. i added about 1/3 more. it was too iffy to solder the parts. copper heat pipes melting point is about the same as the solder. i opted for a custom thermal adhesive instead. i mixed it in a 2 parts thermal compound (antec nano diamond formula 7), to a 3 parts devcon 2 part clear (low viscosity ) epoxy ratio. adding the extra copper to the heatsinks required me to modify the whole motherboard tray, as i also was going to add 2 fan to directly cool the thicker heatsinks. [ATTACH=CONFIG]9643[/ATTACH] i decided to cut out a "breather" hole for the ultrabay gpu. [ATTACH=CONFIG]9644[/ATTACH] i will provide some temperature tests soon . i been really busy lately

Wow this is impressive!!!

Can you make a new thread and explain step by step how to make this modd possible. Maybe someone can provide you some pics of the process if you don't made them.

I'll be greatly thankful because this is what every Y500 owner wants...