780m and P9000 3Dmark11?

RPXZ

What are you overclocked to for the people that are getting P9k in 3Dmark11? I for some reason can not get 9k. The highest I have been able to achieve is P8756 with the card clocked at 1020/3000 using the latest beta nvidia drivers I'm seeing a lot of machines breaking into the 9k mark with less clocks. Is there something I am missing here? CPU is a 4900MQ with setting the multipliers as high as it allows me to.

What are you overclocked to for the people that are getting P9k in 3Dmark11? I for some reason can not get 9k. The highest I have been able to achieve is P8756 with the card clocked at 1020/3000 using the latest beta nvidia drivers I'm seeing a lot of machines breaking into the 9k mark with less clocks. Is there something I am missing here? CPU is a 4900MQ with setting the multipliers as high as it allows me to.

People can have validated benchmarks with some tessellation settings turned down giving higher scores. Try another benchmark like one built into a game e.g. Tomb Raider, Metro Last Light, Bioshock Infinite and see if you can find other people's results.

The very high scores use heavily overclocked XM CPUs for 11K+ physics scores. Are you using an svl7 BIOS? If not your card will be downclocking during tests.

The very high scores use heavily overclocked XM CPUs for 11K+ physics scores. Are you using an svl7 BIOS? If not your card will be downclocking during tests.

Yes I am using a slv7 vbios. I've been logging with gpuz and it doesn't seem to down clock however anything over 1020 I have to up the core clock 5mhz more. For example if I want 1030 I would have to use inspector to clock it at 1035. As of my latest benchmark run I'm at 8934 with a graphics score of 9205. So close :/

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Question: say if I use slv7 vbios and keep the clocks at 1000 cpu core and a +300ish memory OC, will that severely limit the life of my card? or will it be pretty safe.?

Depends what you set the voltage at. Higher = more heat = less life. I personally wouldn't worry about it too much depending on what your temps are at.

It sounds to me like your GPU is throttling at those clocks. Either exceeding the power limits, or the temperature limits. I would think with that overclock that you would be getting that P9k in 3DMark11 with a 780M no problem. I think you have to increase the power & temperature limits of the 780M using EVGA PrecisionX or NVInspector, in fact I think NVInspector is better (that's what svl7 seems to recommend using based on posts I've read).

EDIT: you say the card doesn't seem to be downclocking. Maybe it just stays at the same clocks (doesn't downclock) when it reaches the power limit, and instead maybe just decreases GPU usage to stay within the power limits?

EDIT2: Haha, I've just noticed you got 9205 GPU score. Right, then you're card is probably performing absolutely fine at those clocks, probably not downclocking or throttling at all. Yes, you need more CPU power if you want the overall score higher, like has been mentioned already. (Or keep pushing the GPU onto ever higher scores!)

Ya I don't want to shove more power to this card so I think I'll mess around with the reference clock a little and see if I can squeeze some more MHz out if the processor. Surely I can get another 35-40 points out of it. I simply just want to break into the P9k and I be satisfied... I think. Power doesn't seem to be too much of an issue yet. According to the kill-a-watt meter the nb is drawing 155ish and peaked one time at 170 but still not enough for MSI's dumb hybrid mode to kick on.

Ya I don't want to shove more power to this card so I think I'll mess around with the reference clock a little and see if I can squeeze some more MHz out if the processor. Surely I can get another 35-40 points out of it. I simply just want to break into the P9k and I be satisfied... I think. Power doesn't seem to be too much of an issue yet. According to the kill-a-watt meter the nb is drawing 155ish and peaked one time at 170 but still not enough for MSI's dumb hybrid mode to kick on.

Haha, yeah, that NOS system is a real cop out for them; they should have just supplied a power adapter with enough Watts in the first place, and for them to then have the cheek to advertise NOS as a plus point! Haha.

very nice, what was the voltage set at on your gpu? And I assume you used intel XTU for your processor.

Yes, XTU for the processor. Only changes with that were 102.2485 reference clock and forcing the multipliers at 36/35/34/34.

The 780 was clocked at 1060/3000 but for some reason that actual core clock was at 1040ish or so. Nvinspector was off by at least 15mhz. I'm not sure why but I found a couple people on the forum were having the same issue. I had to have it at +62.5mv. May have been able to go a little higher at that voltage but I was happy breaking 9k.