Upgrading PSU for GT60/GT70 - Few Questions

RPXZ

I have been doing a little research on upgrading the power brick to something along the lines of a 220 watt or more. However I do have a few questions.

Is the max power draw BIOS/Firmware limited? From my research some are saying that upgrading to something bigger than the 180watt is pointless because its firmware locked at 180watt max power draw.

What unit is everyone getting? I saw the units from dell but i see that the amps are different. Is that ok? Should I get the 240watt or the 330watt? Would I need to find adapters to fit the plug in on the laptop?

Thank you guys!

I have multiple Dell laptops and quite an array of compatible PA-model adapters to use with them ranging from 65W to 240W. (65W, 90W, 130W, 150W, 180W, 210W, and 240W)

With this I was able to test the total draw from my E6420 (i7-2620QM and nVidia NVS4200) while overclocked, charging, and being benchmarked. I was drawing close to 150W, but only had my APC power conditioner at the time that was showing me my total usage; I wish I had a Kill-w-Watt. It jumped roughly 110W when I plugged it in and started the benchmark.

I have not tested with my M6700 yet, but I know for a fact that if you have a larger power supply and your battery supports rapid charge, it will charge faster. As for increased performance, I am unsure and nothing was recorded at the time.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow about getting some more accurate data comparing the use of my standard 90W power supply vs my 240W.

If you have the GT60/70 Ivy bridge generation, then a more powerful power supply will always help, especially if you want to overclock/overvolt your GPU. Only Haswell MSI generation are hit by the 180W power lock down due to the NOS feature.

If you have the GT60/70 Ivy bridge generation, then a more powerful power supply will always help, especially if you want to overclock/overvolt your GPU. Only Haswell MSI generation are hit by the 180W power lock down due to the NOS feature.

Damn, I have the haswell NB. The NOS feature can't even compete with a bigger PSU. I wonder if there is a way to disable it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

This might be a stupid question but how do you determine if you have a Haswell MSI generation. I have an MSI GT70-ONE 276US, does mine have this, and if not could I possible benefit from a more powerful power brick.

This might be a stupid question but how do you determine if you have a Haswell MSI generation. I have an MSI GT70-ONE 276US, does mine have this, and if not could I possible benefit from a more powerful power brick.

You have ivy bridge which is the third generation intel i processors, i3-3XXX, i5-3XXX, i7-3XXX. Haswell is the fourth generation intel i processors, i3-4XXX, i5-4XXX, i7-4XXX.

To be able to determine if you could benefit from a more powerful PSU I'll need to know what your current one outputs and which CPU you have.

• 1 month later...

Whats really annoying with NOS, is that it sometimes kicks in with no apparent reason, draining the battery at somehow fast rates, and sometimes while running a high load on both the cpu and gpu, the system seems to have enough juice from the psu and the battery charge remains at 100%, i've noticed this on a gt60 2od with 4700mq cpu o/c with multipliers (x36 max ) and without o/c and on the 780m stock and with a mild o/c +100Mhz core /+350mem running the same set of games/apps

Whats really annoying with NOS, is that it sometimes kicks in with no apparent reason, draining the battery at somehow fast rates, and sometimes while running a high load on both the cpu and gpu, the system seems to have enough juice from the psu and the battery charge remains at 100%, i've noticed this on a gt60 2od with 4700mq cpu o/c with multipliers (x36 max ) and without o/c and on the 780m stock and with a mild o/c +100Mhz core /+350mem running the same set of games/apps

Didn't history teach you anything? You need to wait for a NOS 2.0 LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Hey sorry that it took me two months to finally reply to this. I have an ivy bridge processor (i7-3840QM), and my current PSU outputs 9.5 A at 19V (180W). I have noticed that if i'm benching my CPU the temps are around the high 70's and if I start to bench my 680M at the same time the temps of the CPU drop which doesn't make much sense to me. Also, I haven noticed throttling problems with my GPU, even though its overvolted to 1 volt, and no overclocking. Could this be due to the PSU. Also, if I could benefit from a bigger PSU, which one would you suggest, and whats the best place to look for one. Thanks again, and sorry it took so long to answer.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey sorry that it took me two months to finally reply to this. I have an ivy bridge processor (i7-3840QM), and my current PSU outputs 9.5 A at 19V (180W). I have noticed that if i'm benching my CPU the temps are around the high 70's and if I start to bench my 680M at the same time the temps of the CPU drop which doesn't make much sense to me. Also, I haven noticed throttling problems with my GPU, even though its overvolted to 1 volt, and no overclocking. Could this be due to the PSU. Also, if I could benefit from a bigger PSU, which one would you suggest, and whats the best place to look for one. Thanks again, and sorry it took so long to answer.

This beta EC will help unlock the CPU throttling.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=162629.0