Install mac os x on your y500 hackintosh

liteon6x

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

But what's the point? I've done this in the past, and every time I've wondered why I'd even bothered. I'm reducing my performance AND functionality, considering that all the worthwhile programs and apps are Windows only. I end up jumping through hoops to use the software I was already using on Windows.

Is there a reason you prefer running OSX?

Thanks liteon6x!

@theagent Yes there are a few programs that you simply can't get for PC. For example, I work in theatre and I have yet to find a better cue playback/show control program than Qlab, which is a Mac-only program

Yes, Mac OS X would make this great laptop even better. Unfortunately, the link that OP posted is a hoax. I don't think anyone has managed to install OS X on Y500. We all experience the same problem: black screen, fans raging and then the restart.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not a fan Windows and have purchased the Y500 thinking that I could put OSX on it and have a hackintosh at 1/3 of the price that Apple charges but I have been unsuccessful with same results that Candylifter mentions above

..Still remaining hopeful, however, as the specs match up with Apple's PowerBooks

But what's the point? I've done this in the past, and every time I've wondered why I'd even bothered. I'm reducing my performance AND functionality, considering that all the worthwhile programs and apps are Windows only. I end up jumping through hoops to use the software I was already using on Windows.

Is there a reason you prefer running OSX?

If it could be done with ease it would mean I could keep all my Mac based work stuff and sell the actual Mac to get some funds!

Cheers,

What about virtual machines?

No graphics acceleration though not much useful.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Mac OS X would make this great laptop even better. Unfortunately, the link that OP posted is a hoax. I don't think anyone has managed to install OS X on Y500. We all experience the same problem: black screen, fans raging and then the restart.
did you try booting with -s and -x flags ?

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder will HD4600 works on mac as there are some model of mac seems to be using HD4600
yes it would likely would as long as you have the right version installed but you need to experiment with strings .

I got to the Darwin bootloader on my Y410P ( GT 755M) with OS X Mavericks Retail. However, I cannot get past this step, it throws a few error messages clearly related to my graphics card, "Failed to inject NVIDIA" and some hex error codes. I can see It load the kernel and other boot files when using the -v -x -f flags but the screen goes black and the computer restarts. Apparently they dropped basic VESA support from the bootloader in editions >= Mountain Lion that in the past has enabled people to get past this step and thru installation after which they can use Multibeast to handle kexts etc that our cards require. I wonder if I could use the unlocked BIOS to default to the HD4600 or at least disable the 755m until after installation.