Y500 WiFi Card

JiTee

Hi, I recently bough a new router, from Netgear, and, only my pc has a card that doesn't support 450 mbps (It's the n900) and 5ghz band. I'm looking to buy a new one, that would be fast, that support 5ghz and that would fit and work in my Y500 from Lenovo.

Thanks for the help.

Depends on if the BIOS is unlocked or not cause Lenovo y500 has a whitelist of wifi cards which means only select card will work when booting otherwise the bios will lock you out. If your y500 is unlocked i think you should be able to add any wifi card that fits the slot, but dont quote me on that.

I hear you thought I have a netgear wdna3300 that is dual band 5ghz band and 2ghz band and it wont allow 300mbps at high frequencies (5ghz - N ), so my card only picks up the low 54mbps G band. It really holds back the laptop especially while gaming. I really dont understand why lenovo went with the card they did as the stock set-up other wifi card are the same if price with greater capabilities.

Hi JiTee, I purchase the Intel 6235N Wi-Fi adapter myself. As others have pointed out, you will need to mod your BIOS however to remove the whitelist. The switch from 2.4 Ghz 802.11n to 5 Ghz made a world of difference in connection stability and speed. I did run into a snag with the Bluetooth stack becoming corrupt. Windows won't detect or load the Bluetooth portion of the 6235N. If I reinstall the driver and reboot it will work; however a subsequent reboot will fail back to the previous behaviour. A reinstall of Windows 8 was able to correct the issue. A quick Google search indicates this is not uncommon. The 6235N adapter was only $19 CAD from a local computer retailer.

Hi, I'm aware that I'll need to unlock the BIOS, but, I'm looking for a card that would work. I heard that the 6300N would work but I'm really not sure about it, one of my friend tried the lenovo version of it and it wasn't even recognized, but, his BIOS wasn't unlocked.

Otherwise, thanks willywidget, I'm happy to see that the 6235N works, did you notice range and speed increase with the 2.4ghz too?

Hi guys, I kept looking for wireless cards and found that, the Killer™ Wireless-N 1103. Do you guys think it could be a good choice? Otherwise, is there any other models from this company and is there other companies that could make good cards?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I had recently replaced my Y500's wifi card with the 7260, but the problem I am facing is a common one but just wondering if someone has figured out a fix?

But the Bluetooth randomly disconnects after about an hour or so of use, sometimes it doesn't, anyone know why?

thanks in advance, Sorry, now back on topic aside from said issue the wifi is well worth the upgrade.

I say go for the intel 7260ac wireless card. =] getting the AC is better Future proofing. I am using it currently and it is working like a charm. I was able to connect my PS3 Controller to it too, though it was a little difficult. It has great ranged and when benchmarked with the previous card inside you will notice huge different in speeds (depending on your internet speed and router) For me i was able to obtain almost an 75% increase on my university network.

I ordered the 6235 and will be installing it tomorrow. Ordered the first thing I saw, and never purchasing a laptop wifi card I thought $24 was a steal. After ordering it and doing some research, I should have went for the 7260 :(

O well, if home network transfer rates are slowing down, I will probably spend $26 and get the 7260. ANYTHING has to be better than this 2230 though!

Edit: Installed!

3mbps at work to 12mbps.

VERY satisfied!

Edit 2:

18mbps at home to 57mbps.

12mbps at work to 20mbps.

After I left work, I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. Then got 57mbps at home and just updated the newest speed test on works network.

Extremely happy with the 6235, and would recommend it to anyone!

• 2 months later...

I just purchased the netgear ac 1200 dual band r6200 under $100 at walmart. It is a dualband router that has 2 frequencies at 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz

The Y500 will work on the lower frequency with the standard wifi adapter that came with the laptop.

I also really like the built in security and smartphone app to monitor it!

Works great so far, but I don't have a device compatible with the full 5ghz at 867mpbs which is kind of lame.

• 2 weeks later...
will a 6300 work in my y500? it has 3 attena and my laptop only has 2 wires

From what I understand, the 6300 with the correct FRU should work with the Y500 with a stock BIOS. However if you use a 6300 not meant for Lenovo, or any other card, you would have to unlock your BIOS whitelist. As for the antennas, you can either just plug in two of the three and leave the third connector unplugged, or you can order a new antenna (eBay) and find somewhere to put it in the laptop chassis. Personally I would just unlock the BIOS and go with a better 2x2 card like the 7260.