Clocks locked even After Multiple Bios Changes

Captmario

Hello, i have this MSI barebone 1762, i was using 314.22 drivers as they are most stable.

I decided to flash svl's custom vbios to unlock my clocks, however even after a successful flash my clocks are still locked and i can't change them,

Although before the flash my Core clock used to run at 758mhz and after the flash, it was running at 771mhz, but locked.

To test whether it was a vbios related problem, my friend gave me some custom vbios i flashed, it had default 812 mhz clock on core and 2200 mhz on memory. i flashed it and it was weird that i was now running on 797 mhz and clocks were still locked and i could not change them..

i thought maybe its a driver issue, so i performed a clean install of 320.49 drivers now and now core clock is running at 812mhz as it should be, however clocks are still locked regardless of which vbios i use, i want to use svl's bios that unlocks everything so i can adjust as i want to. but anyone know what's going on?

My stock vbios was same version as the one provided by you with unlocked clocks, because when it asked me to replace this with that, the version numbers were same.

I have no idea whether my BIOS is latest because MSI doesn't really provide BIOS for barebones, i can ask my manufacturer for latest one but only if you are certain that it's a BIOS related issue, because flashing a BIOS is last thing i want to do considering its risk.

Is it possible you can give me same vBios but with adjusted clocks, for e.g clocks already at 850 mhz core and 2200 mhz memory? even with locked clocks it will run at stock :disturbed:

Edit : I also want to state that whenever i change my clocks and press Apply in MSI Afterburner, the clocks in my GPU-Z shows the change, however my Afterburner still shows core running at default.

You can try a different overclocking tool, but it is most likely your BIOS that doesn't provide overclocking support. This happened with many Kepler systems, even the Alienwares, a BIOS update was required to make overclocking work.

I used a software to check BIOS version and date.

it shows

E1762IG6.70U

11/23/2012

Do you know if that is a fine Bios or wrong one? :)

Edit : by the way i want to ask something, how high is it possible to overclock without changing voltage?

Ok After alot of testing, i can't figure out what's causing this, however i can understand what's happening.

I can downclock my GPU on core, but whatever i do, im unable to exceed max default clock set by GPU vBios, the vBios my friend gave me has 812 mhz on core as default set by vBios, and i can get to 812 mhz.

But other weird part is that my GPU is sometimes running on 797 mhz and sometimes 812 mhz. just now i realized that if i overclock my GPU by +15, it will now always run on 812 mhz but it won't exceed that.

Possible solution is having a vBios that have high stock clocks, then after flashing i can downclock them to my own liking.

However 1 question i really need answer to and only you can answer it :)

what max clocks can i reach on default voltage. which i believe is 0.900?

But i don't want to overvolt as it increases temps and probably reduces life of GPU

Edit : Update:

I m having a weird problem now. my GPU is constantly running at 812 mhz and 2200 mhz memory with nothing running at all.. MSI afterburner is showing constant 810 mhz and 2198 mhz regardless of it being on battery or plugged in. so its affecting battery timing aswell now..

However when i run a program like GPU shark or Nvidia Inspector, my clocks go down to 135 and 324 respectively, however as soon as i close them my clocks are again back on max regardless of any usage.

and when i run games, the clocks are at 797 mhz and 2198 mhz constantly. i didn't change any setting at all as i was waiting for your reply.

This is getting so weird. its not even normal. are Performance states f***ed up?

@svl7