W230ST Undervolting

lonesyndal

Looks like I've come with an odd issue...

Intel XTU settings does not save when I do a shutdown.... Been manually setting it back every time I power the system on after a shut down (it stays after a restart, go figure). Laptop hasn't crashed at all either.

EDIT: Fixed the problem...apparently a fresh install of Windows 8 has a "Fast Startup" option that instead of fully shutting down your PC, it sets it to a hibernation state. Only noticed when I attempted to shut down and boot back up that it said the PC was starting from Hibernation. After disabling "Fast Start Up" (Power Options->Choose what closing the lid does) and enabling Hibernation as a separate shut down option, the settings now stick. Retarded changes that I'm new to for Windows 8...

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to chime in and say that the 4702MQ with -100mv undervolting is providing me with very good battery life. I think we can go up to Razer Blade 14 battery level with proper tweaking. This machine is pretty awesome.

Also, with the latest version of XTU, I didn't have to disable fast startup, the settings stick properly.

Just wanted to chime in and say that the 4702MQ with -100mv undervolting is providing me with very good battery life. I think we can go up to Razer Blade 14 battery level with proper tweaking. This machine is pretty awesome.

Also, with the latest version of XTU, I didn't have to disable fast startup, the settings stick properly.

Yep, noticed the latest XTU did that as well since the update a few weeks back. As for undervolt, it should only lengthen battery life if you were running heavier applications as it just decreases the amount of voltage in turbo boost. Another method is to decrease multipliers for a similar/same effect without lowering voltage.

Yeah I'm getting pretty good battery life now, had to lower it to -80mV though, heavy multi-tasking tends to result in crash with -100mV.

The 765m OC is working quite well too, went all the way up to 135MHz, got massive FPS bump! The temperatures stay around 70 too, really happy with the machine so far.

My 4700MQ is stable at -80mV but anything more than this and I get frequent crashes when doing anything intense. I've found undervolting only gives me a minor decrease in temps.

I've underclocked to 28x when 3 or 4 cores in use and this has made a huge difference to temperatures with no real performance impact. I've kept the stock multipliers with 1 or 2 cores in use.

Any owners of the W230ST tried undervolting the CPU?

Mines has an i7-4700MQ and currently undervolted to -80mV and decreased each multiplier by x2 for stability (without crashing while mutltasking between 2-3 games).

Just wanted to know what everyone else has tried and the success they made when doing this.

I've tested a few and kept the -80mV as my default. For the multipliers, I've had them at 28, 26, 25, 25 in order from 1-4 cores active. This limits the CPU speed under load and does similar/same effect as undervolting.

For some odd reason, games tend to force the CPU to max regardless of my max frequency after modifying settings, so I just decreased the multipliers to help.

73-76C under heavy load when playing games like Metro Last Light, HAWKEN (High Settings; PhysX Enabled), and etc. at 45FPS+ (Not overclocked;would probably be a massive bump if i maxed the OC on GTX 765M).

@Prema: The fans...even under light load... make me cry D: There needs to be salvation for the fan profiles so it doesnt go to only just silent, slightly audible, and full blast. I swear...its as if those are the only three settings it has. Mines end up being on full blast most of time when running slightly heavy applications.

• 1 month later...
Kinda new to undervolting. Would the Windows version (7/8) installed affect the temperatures and ability to undervolt/OC? I have keys for both 7 and 8, and I plan to pick up a w230st soon without OS, and was wondering which one would be better.

Works fine in both with Intel XTU Software.