EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
schranzmaster

Lenovo Y580 Disassembled + Repasting the GPU and the CPU

I opened my Y580 twice and also noticed broken screw slot on the bottom plastic bezel. I probably applied too much force on this screw the last time I was closing my laptop. My advice - do not apply too much pressure on the screws :) This is not a top quality plastic.

Thats right.

Not the best quality, but really durable if you're a little careful in using it

I bought thermal pads a few days ago and repasted my Y580 again.

I updated the first post with new pics and where i placed the pads

The temperatures are ~10°C lower now, thats amazing for my system with that overclock.

check it out

So happy now :)

Schranz, would you care to share where you purchased the pads and which ones you purchased? I'm getting up into the 80s and need to repaste/repad.

Thanks!

Schranz, would you care to share where you purchased the pads and which ones you purchased? I'm getting up into the 80s and need to repaste/repad.

Thanks!

Yes of course :)

I bought ''Softtherm - 86/600 Kerafol 86/600 50 mm x 50 mm 6 W/mK'' with a thickness of 1 mm and 0,5 mm''

(you need 0,5 mm pads for the backplate of the 660m)

Hochleistungs-Wärmeleitfolie Softtherm® - 86/600 Kerafol 86/600 (L x B) 50 mm x 50 mm Stärke 1 mm 6 W/mK im Conrad Online Shop | 189072

Hochleistungs-Wärmeleitfolie Softtherm® - 86/600 Kerafol 86/600 (L x B) 50 mm x 50 mm Stärke 0.5 mm 6 W/mK im Conrad Online Shop | 189071

I bought them on conrad .de ... But there are better thermal pads out there on internet...

But this ones are working like a charm for me

Thanks alot. Is there any recommended thermal paste application method?

I didn't elapse the paste on the die's with a credit card, like some people do it...

It worked well for me to just apply a single little dot of thermal paste on gpu and cpu and let it spread by the pressure of the heatsinks

I bought ''Softtherm - 86/600 Kerafol 86/600 50 mm x 50 mm 6 W/mK'' with a thickness of 1 mm and 0,5 mm''

Hochleistungs-Wärmeleitfolie Softtherm® - 86/600 Kerafol 86/600 (L x B) 50 mm x 50 mm Stärke 1 mm 6 W/mK im Conrad Online Shop | 189072

Hochleistungs-Wärmeleitfolie Softtherm® - 86/600 Kerafol 86/600 (L x B) 50 mm x 50 mm Stärke 0.5 mm 6 W/mK im Conrad Online Shop | 189071

I bought them on conrad .de ... But there are better thermal pads out there on internet...

So you applied the pads on the backside of the motherboard right? The gpu and cpu cores have paste on them?

Mine did, and i didn't have pads so i just re greased with as5 worked ok, but my hdd is still getting scorched.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

So you applied the pads on the backside of the motherboard right? The gpu and cpu cores have paste on them?

Mine did, and i didn't have pads so i just re greased with as5 worked ok, but my hdd is still getting scorched.

Yes, you should change all thermal pads, even the ones on the backside of the motherboard (backplate of the 660m). And yes, thermal paste on the core of the GPU and CPU

For me the HDD doesn't become that hot like before...

Thanks for the awesome write-up! It's distressing to see that amount of thermal paste, but unfortunately not abnormal, regardless of the manufacturer you're looking at (including Apple). One nice thing I see here is that it doesn't look like an awful process on the whole, aside from the number of screws on the bottom of the chassis...

You deserve a lot of credit for tearing down a pretty pricy laptop to do this type of work. As you note, it should go a long way toward extending the life of your equipment!

The amount of paste they put on there is DISGUSTING. check mine outduqyna8u.jpg

Shranz, did you only purchase one of each sheet? I can't remember how big of an area I will have to cover. Just want to make sure I get them all in one purchase. thanks!

I'm looking at these:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16882/thr-167/Fujipoly_Extreme_System_Builder_Thermal_Pad_-_60_x_50_x_05_-_Thermal_Conductivity_110_WmK.html#blank

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16883/thr-168/Fujipoly_Extreme_System_Builder_Thermal_Pad_-_60_x_50_x_10_-_Thermal_Conductivity_110_WmK.html?tl=g8c487s1290

Yes, this size should last your Y580.

How difficult would this me to repaste the Y500? How similar are the Y580s and the Y500?

I just did a small mod to my Y580 two days ago.

post-10385-14494999605532_thumb.jpg

now GPU temperature maxes out at 69 °C (@ 1200 MHz core and 2800 MHz memory)

and CPU temperature maxes out at 75 °C (3,2 GHz with Throttlestop on all cores) :witless:

Perfect for gaming

post-10385-14494999604679_thumb.jpg

nice! i was looking for that. after doing some cleaning, and changing the thermal paste, my maximum temps got lower

anyway, i still think 580's cooling scheme is pretty bad

i had to use an cooling pad otherwise all my games gets low fps

I just did a small mod to my Y580 two days ago.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14304[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14305[/ATTACH]

now GPU temperature maxes out at 69 °C (@ 1200 MHz core and 2800 MHz memory)

and CPU temperature maxes out at 75 °C (3,2 GHz with Throttlestop on all cores) :witless:

Perfect for gaming

did you just attach heatsinks to the fan? any particular order, or....? how did you get them to stay? what were temps before you modded with the copper heatsinks? and does it push against anything once you reassemble? thanks in advance!

did you just attach heatsinks to the fan? any particular order, or....? how did you get them to stay? what were temps before you modded with the copper heatsinks? and does it push against anything once you reassemble? thanks in advance!

At first i used some Tesa tape to test where I can place the copper-heatsinks. As you can see on the picture, this are the parts where the heatsinks fit in the laptop without pushing against anything when reassembled.

I get them stay at its place with ''Arctic Silver Alumina Thermal Adhesive''... It worked great so far. I created this mod to use the laptop without the back cover and a cooling pad under it... Thats why the small holes in the plastic you can see on the second picture. (I used a small drill for that)

You can see my temps before that mod in my first post of this thread

My temperature-Information is always when running the Y580 at full load on GPU and CPU.

When i play less demanding games like League of Legends, the temparature of the GPU stays at 63°C and the CPU at 74°C maximum. I think that is a pretty good result, if you take a look at my overclock (and CPU clock, btw) :)

- - - Updated - - -

nice! i was looking for that. after doing some cleaning, and changing the thermal paste, my maximum temps got lower

anyway, i still think 580's cooling scheme is pretty bad

i had to use an cooling pad otherwise all my games gets low fps

Thank You!

Yes i also think that the cooling scheme isnt good designed... Thats why I wanted to do this :) A third heatpipe would be still nice :D

Thanks for this threat!

I repasted my Y580 a while ago and the results are awesome. I didn't expect so much dust in my notebook, although i'm using the dust removing tool at regular intervals. The temperature dropped more than i expected and the perfomance is great too. I'm looking forward to overclock this baby. ;)

To all of you who suffer from overheating or performance drops:

Repaste it and get a USB cooling pad in case you're using it as a stationary PC (like i do, most of the time).

@schranzmaster: Can you tell what thickness are the thermal pads you used?

Btw: Does anyone have experience with this coollaboratory liquid metalpads, could these be used instead of thermal paste on cpu/gpu and instead of thermal pads?

I used 0,5 mm pads for the backplate of the GPU and for the other parts i used 1 mm.

Sorry, i never tried these metalpads

hi,

I'm about to change thermal paste and thermal pads in my Y580...My processor without overclocking throttle in games like Diablo 3 :) it reaches 100C and then it drops to 80C.

For now I restricted power to 85% and my temps are lower (~88C) but I need to change paste.

I've ordered Gelid EC Extreme 03.

But i'm not sure how many thermal pads I should order?

I saw You said that 1 set of 50x50x0,5mm and 50x50x1mm is enough ? So only 2 pads needed ? On Your pictures I can see much more pads used.

i want to buy these ones:

GELID GP-EXTREME TERMOPAD 12W/mK 1mm TP-GP010-A (5723533091) - Allegro.pl - Więcej niż aukcje. 80 x 40 x 1 mm

GELID GP-EXTREME TERMOPAD 12W/mK 0,5mm TP-GP005-A (5723533150) - Allegro.pl - Więcej niż aukcje. 80 x 40 x 0,5 mm

how many peaces of each should I get ?

btw. In throttlestop You overclock all of Your cores to 3,2 ?

This is amazing,

I did repasting and before my CPU was throttling at 100C very quickly (few minutes after intense gaming), my GPU was reaching 88C all stock clocks..

Directly after repasting within 1 hour of gaming my CPU reached 66C and GPU 77C.Now after all night of gaming my CPU sit at 62C and GPU at 71C. (stock clocks).

I used Gelid EC Extreme 03 and Gelid termopads (12W/mK) 1 packahe mentioed above was enough.