Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 GPU Frequency

ElShotte

Hey guys, I'm new here, but I see this is the place for any info in regards to tinkering with such things.

Anyway, I was playing BF3 yesterday, and noticed my FPS went down horribly making the game unplayable. I've started eVGA Precision X just to see that my max GPU usage was roughly 71%, and my GPU core clock was at 950 Mhz and temps around 83 C. This freaked me out, since I did not implement any overclocking via the Precision software.

On a side not, a day earlier I was messing around to see if there's a way I can control or even see the fan speed, and I've installed the Lenovo Energy Management software from a Z580 (I think that's what it was). Also, for some reason, the GeForce drivers were disappearing on me. I never turn off my laptop, and trying to pay BF3 yesterday, I saw horrible performance when I got into the game, so I closed it, shortly thereafter realizing that Device Manager was showing "Unknown VGA Device" instead of GTX 660M and NV CP wasn't in the context menu. After reboot, they were installed again. So I uninstalled the Energy Management app from the Z580, and re-installed the proper one, and re-installed the GPU drivers, I have yet to see if the issue persists.

Does anyone know if the Lenovo Energy Management software is the culprit for this? Or is it a bigger issue?

Uh-oh... I hope I'm wrong but it seems your GPU is dying. Recently I've noticed more and more people report problems with their discrete GPU in Y580, though your symptoms are little bit different. In my case when using discrete GPU for like 15 minutes (it hits no more than 60 degrees in that time though) causes crash or hang, and then after I restart the computer either the system hangs right after login screen or the nvidia card disappears from system. After I give my Y580 a short rest the card is back, but now I don't use it at all now, as sometimes all it needs to crash/hang the system is checking the temperature and clocks...

Check out this topic at Lenovo Community: Y580 problem with GPU - Page 6 - Lenovo Community

In your case I'd repaste the GPU and put some space between laptop and desk whenever playing games. Even a cheap passive cooling pad with good thermal paste should reduce temperatures by few degrees.

You can adjust the fan speed (or rather when it comes on) with unlocked BIOS.

Believe it or not, after I've installed the Z580 Energy Management app, the problem occurred 4 times throughout the day, since I've installed the proper Energy Management app, I have not had this problem happen. I am assuming that the Z580 Thermal Management is quite different, and since this is done through an actual driver, I think it was causing the motherboard/gpu to go all wonky.

The Lenovo energy management does weird things on seemingly a "deeper" level than the normal Windows/Linux management, I can definitely confirm that.

After I uninstalled mine it stuck at 135MHz and 405MHz (P8 and P5 states), and I thought there was some weird thermal throttling going on. I installed the program again and set to High Performance, then uninstalled, and it now works as it should (all states available).

"Lenovo dynamic graphics mode" overclocks 660m clock to 950 mHz. It seems that "Power Saver" energy plan downclocks the gpu to 135/405 (p2) state. And Lenovo's energy management software is kind of buggy - i too had my clocks stuck after i deinstalled it.

• 6 years later...

In order for there to be an increase in FPS in games, you do not need to constantly update NVidia drivers, I noticed that in many new versions of drivers, very poor performance. Itself put the old driver instead of the last and was dumbfounded, FPS grew three times.