First BIOS update for the new Alienware 18 has just been released, grab version A02 here: Driver Details | Dell US

>>>>>

Before updating to A02 please check whether your machine came with A01, I'm still looking for a dump of that version. If that's the case please wait with updating and let me know so I can tell you how to dump your current version for me. Would be really appreciated.

>>>>>

Changelog A02:

1. Update Intel GOP 5.0.1032.

2. Update Intel VBIOS 2175.

3. Modify load default behavior in Setup Menu.

4. Enhance secure boot function.

5. Enhance Panel information interface.

6. Update Microcode 306C3h Rev.09h.

7. Add New ROM part support.

8. Disable WLAN ASPM L0s.

9. Modify SATA configuration behavior for tool load default.

10. Add CMFC OEM Project Function.

• Thumbs Up 4

The PSU is not inadequate for almost all purposes. If you ordered 4930MX and 780M SLI and plan to do extreme overclocking, it won't be enough. Otherwise, it will be totally fine. Even with extreme overclocking, there are not many benchmarks that will completely exhaust the 330W AC adapter and no games will unless you are pouring on more power than appropriate or necessary. The GPU throttling problem is fixed thanks to John and svl7, and I am optimistic there will be a BIOS update to take care of the CPU power settings that prevent the CPU from running full speed under load. I believe your story should have a happy ending, but you may have to be patient while it gets worked out. This is one of the hazards of being an early adopter/pioneer with a new product... happens a lot of the time. It was like that with 580M, 680M and 7970M. None of them were without issues or performed that well at launch.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi svl7, I just got hold of an AW18. it was built last week and shipped with BIOS A00, do you need this BIOS version?

Also what is the precedure to dump the BIOS?

I could not see any way to do this using various windows or DOS BIOS tools. The supplied flash utility just flashes your BIOS without giving you a backup option as far as I can see.

To this point I have not tried to flash A02 on this system.

Yes, I can send you a chip with an unlocked BIOS.

Flashing per software won't work at the moment. I don't have a system to test it myself and most people don't seem to be eager to test anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just updated to BIOS A02, and noticed the CPU fan is now always running. with the A00 BIOS it would switch off when the CPU was idle and had a low temp.

Has anyone else found this?

Also is there an application that can contol the fan speed on these systems?

Yes, I can send you a chip with an unlocked BIOS.

Flashing per software won't work at the moment. I don't have a system to test it myself and most people don't seem to be eager to test anything.

May I have this, and what would it cost you to provide me with this please. We're talking some small microcontroller or the bios rom itself on ic itself ?