Sata SSD or msata SSD

Rik Pierlo

Like the title says, what do you guys prefer, was planning to buy a ssd tomorrow but now i cant figure out wich one is best to buy msata or sata. Also wich brand is the best/fastest?? I now have stock hdd and msata caching ssd. My option is to replace the msata, or the hdd for ssd and hdd in the ultrabay.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to look into the mSATA as my y500 does not have anything populating the mSATA slot. I see that they are about 200 for a 256Gb online, so really it's a no brainer for me. I would not want to give up my SLI by modding an Ultrabay, or lose any storage by getting rid of my HDD. The mSATA from my limited research looks like it is the best option for my current rig. I have heard that the x-fer rates are a bit slower on the mSATA, but I have not personally tested this. When I do upgrade I will do a speed test before and after the install. I hope this helps! Good Luck with your purchase.

I like msata if your laptop has supports sata3 for it. As my p150em msata port only uses sata2. I don't get the full speed out of the msata ssd. Also if your bios allows you can buy the same sata ssd and msata ssd and raid them together to go even faster.

I like to have lot of data withe me on my notebook. My old Asus G71V had two sata ports, so I put a real sata ssd into it. My new Y500 do not have a second hd, unless I abdicate the second graphics adapter. So I decided to by an msata ssd for it. Now I have a big hard drive an adequate ssd.

I bought Crucial m4 256gn mSata ssd, and it's working great in conjuction with original 1Tb hdd. The only thing is, for some reason UEFI does not allow booting from ssd, and reverting UEFI mode to "Legacy support" increases boot time by 4 seconds. For now, i've added second windows installation into hdd's bootloader, but i want to be able to boot each system indepentently. How can i do this?

• 2 weeks later...
That's not true. The 840 Pro does come in mSATA form as the PM841, however it is not sold through retail and can only be found in preconfigured laptops and in limited availability on eBay and Amazon. The Plextor M5M is just as fast and can easily be found online.

I don't know why you guys think of the mSATA as a big factor, maybe because you want to keep the 1TB hard drive? What I did is: took out the 1TB drive; replaced it with 256GB Samsung PRO 840Series; left the 16GB SSD intact, and using the 1TB as an external hard drive.