MS-16F2 w/GTX770m Need vBios Please Help!

Wotan

Hello

I have a similar story. Bought from eBay green card.

What are the chances that will work in my GT683? Or even trying to install?

I had two completely new dell cards (770m) neither of them worked. Stuck at bios splash screen. Cards worked in alienware.

Clevo card (blue board) worked perfectly.

However, in this post http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/3810-upgrading-gt780dx-277us-ms-1761-gtx780m-3.html

BigKid states he bought green (dell) card and it worked.. hes struggling with drivers but the card booted. I'm confused now. Looks like hit'n'miss

Hello!

I upgraded my gpu in my ms-16f2 whitebook to a gtx 770m. I think I need a modded .inf file to install the driver (win7/64 331.82) to make it work. Can you help me by sending me that file ? This is a screenshot in gpu-z of my card https://www.dropbox.com/s/15nvv6vbl3sn5l9/videok%C3%A1rtya.jpg and here are my hardware IDs https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8tippqniezvys4/videok%C3%A1rtya%20hardverinfo.jpg .

Thanks!

update: I tried with a modded inf file but the nvidia driver failed to install. Any idea?

update 2: I got my gpu working now with 331.65 driver and with this http://www.komeil.com/download/3011 .inf file.

Hello everyone,

I've bought a Clovo GTX770M and laptop boots up fine. I have to install laptopvideo2go moded drivers (331.40) to let card works normaly but in games I had FPS drops from time to time. Once I had dell GTX 580M and flashed MSI BIOS on it and it worked - could even install normal nVIDIA drivers on it so i thought that I could install dell BIOS and if it doesn't work I will return to clevo one. But no go. It freeze on bootscreen like in case of Bugii and I don't realy know what I should do now...

Should I take this card to someone with 3-rd gen processor and try to install clevo BIOS?

Does someone have original MSI 770M vBIOS?

Thanks in advance for your help

EDIT: My laptop is GT780DX

EDIT2:

Went to my friend who has got 3-rd gen i7 inserted my GTX 770M with dell vBIOS. Everything started normaly and it let me to flash GTX 770M MSI vBIOS.

It's even better because it works in my laptop and his and there is no need to instsall modified drivers = have installed original nVIDIA 331.82 drivers with no issue :) (if someone want to try it just do it on your own risk - works for me like a charm ;) )

But there is a strange issue:

- when card was in his laptop it works properly. Battlefield 4 goes smooth like hell :D

- then I put card in my laptop and it was working in the same way as before CLEVO was. It's very strange for me. What can I do now? Anybody?

EDIT3:

Forget to mention that in his laptop afterburner showed ~80°C (GPU usage was fine) and in mine machine it can't raise over 60°C (GPU usage goes up and down 95 - 50 %)

EDIT4:

It starts throttling at 55°C :/ It hits 55°C fan starts to boost up and it goes down in a second for a few seconds and then it starts over again. Any help???

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@ligrew which MSI bios did you use? Also did you need to use another to flash the vBios or was that part of your testing path when you was trying to findout about the throttling mate.

Was it defo clevo blueboard GTX770M before flashing MSI version vbios on. Only asking as my GTX770M is on its way and i am wondering about dumping the stock vbios from the clevo card then trying to crossflash.

I will be requiring a Stock MSI GTX770M vbios as i just want it to run as stock as possible on my laptop not interested in O/C'ing the card as it will be tons faster then my current GTX560M in my MS-16F2..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi techies/genius!

I would like to upgrade my msi gt683dxr with a nvidia gtx770m, but I have many questions about this:

1.- the are a clevo, dell, or many others brands, which is the brand recommended ? place/website to buy? some specifications to be sure that could work without problems

2.- do I must flash the video card? how could I do that? tutorial about this?

3.- do I must flash the bios in the motherboard? tutorials about this?

4.- my laptop has a gtx570m, the heatsink is the same for the gtx770m or I must buy a new one? where could I buy?

5.- after all this the procedure to install drivers is pretty transparent or I must "cheat" some files?

Sorry if this qustions are too basic, but I want to be sure about the process before spend the money and avoid have a video card/laptop as decorative in my desk....

Thanks in advance for your answers and help.

Hi techies/genius!

I would like to upgrade my msi gt683dxr with a nvidia gtx770m, but I have many questions about this:

1.- the are a clevo, dell, or many others brands, which is the brand recommended ? place/website to buy? some specifications to be sure that could work without problems

2.- do I must flash the video card? how could I do that? tutorial about this?

3.- do I must flash the bios in the motherboard? tutorials about this?

4.- my laptop has a gtx570m, the heatsink is the same for the gtx770m or I must buy a new one? where could I buy?

5.- after all this the procedure to install drivers is pretty transparent or I must "cheat" some files?

Sorry if this qustions are too basic, but I want to be sure about the process before spend the money and avoid have a video card/laptop as decorative in my desk....

Thanks in advance for your answers and help.

1. You need to buy a Clevo card. Mokkin on ebay has it.

2. No, only if you want to unlock the card for OCing or if you want to be able to install drivers without a modified .inf, then you'll need a MSI VBIOS.

3. No.

4. Yes it's the same.

5. To install the drivers you need a modified .inf or as I described in 2, it's easy to install with a modified .inf.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello, It's me again :D

I found two cards that mokkin sell on ebay, one stand "New, Pull from Brand New MSI Laptop" and the board is green and the other one say "New, Pull from Brand New Clevo Laptop" with the board blue, I think that the first could be the better for me because was taken from a MSI and could be "more" compatible with my gt683DXR, is this correct or I'm wrong?

the pulled from msi laptop is this(green board):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-770M-3GB-DDR5-MXM-3-0-Type-B-for-MSI-Alienware-/271324814030?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3f2c381ace

the pulled from a clevo laptop (blue board):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-770M-3GB-DDR5-MXM-3-0-Type-B-for-Clevo-Alienware-MSI-/271237279139?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3f27006da3

Could you advise me wich one should I buy?

I think I must buy some or alot of thermal pad, which brand or place to buy do you recommend? how should I put the pad to cover the important components?

Thanks again for your comments and advises.

Hello, It's me again :D

I found two cards that mokkin sell on ebay, one stand "New, Pull from Brand New MSI Laptop" and the board is green and the other one say "New, Pull from Brand New Clevo Laptop" with the board blue, I think that the first could be the better for me because was taken from a MSI and could be "more" compatible with my gt683DXR, is this correct or I'm wrong?

the pulled from msi laptop is this(green board):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-770M-3GB-DDR5-MXM-3-0-Type-B-for-MSI-Alienware-/271324814030?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3f2c381ace

the pulled from a clevo laptop (blue board):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-770M-3GB-DDR5-MXM-3-0-Type-B-for-Clevo-Alienware-MSI-/271237279139?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3f27006da3

Could you advise me wich one should I buy?

I think I must buy some or alot of thermal pad, which brand or place to buy do you recommend? how should I put the pad to cover the important components?

Thanks again for your comments and advises.

Clevo (blue board) is confirmed to work in sandy bridge (MSI 780/783/683)

I know it sounds stupid but I wouldnt risk the MSI card (green)

Get the blue one - clevo, it will work for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

hi guys, i'm totally a newbie. i'm really interested to upgrade my gt780dx gtx 570m to clevo gtx 770m. so my question is do i need to do any solder? or i just need to flash the vbios? thanks a bunch.

You don't need to flash anything.

Just replace the card.

Make sure to buy Clevo version GTX 770m - blue board. That one is confirmed to work in gt780dx.

Replace card and thats it. (of course, add thermal grease etc.) But nothing else is needed.

I'm still running on stock vbios - i didnt flash bios, it is working as it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you very much guys for your comments and help!

I will buy the video card, maybe I will ask you later for the procedure for update to the MSI vbios and this way use the nvidia drivers without the modified .inf file.

just waiting for the advise about:

"I think I must buy some or alot of thermal pad, which brand or place to buy do you recommend? how should I put the pad to cover the important components?"

Thanks again!

-----------------------------------------------

Hi Again

I forgot ask about the HDMI and VGA connectors, after the upgrade to the gtx770m will work these connectors without issues?

Thanks for your comments.

Hi

I d like to ask is there any way how graphic card from Alienware GTX560m can work in my MSI gt683 when i replace original graphic card with same specification but only originaly from MSI. Is there any chance be using some type of Vbios for card to make graphic card visible in my laptom???? At this time pcwork only on vga module :(( Motherboard MS-16F2. Thanks for response .

Thank you very much guys for your comments and help!

I will buy the video card, maybe I will ask you later for the procedure for update to the MSI vbios and this way use the nvidia drivers without the modified .inf file.

just waiting for the advise about:

"I think I must buy some or alot of thermal pad, which brand or place to buy do you recommend? how should I put the pad to cover the important components?"

Thanks again!

-----------------------------------------------

Hi Again

I forgot ask about the HDMI and VGA connectors, after the upgrade to the gtx770m will work these connectors without issues?

Thanks for your comments.

I bought the first one I could find.

Didn’t care about any brand… just got some 0.5mm and some 0.7mm

I used two stripes – 2x10cm and cut how much I needed…

Regarding how to place it… have a look at the card and heatsink.. slowly try to fit the heatsink while holding the card in one hand and heatsink in another.

All out of the laptop – without thermal grease… just to see which part is touching which…

And then just place the pads to the card so that no part of card is touching heatsink directly. Except for core ofc.

Most important are memory chips and the big square capacitors… but again, make sure nothing is touching directly the heatsink.

Then just place it into laptop, apply grease on core and fit the heatsink.

HDMI and VGA works great with stock clevo bios.

When I updated to MSI vbios.. it worked but VGA couldnt recognize my Dell Ultrasharp... It worked as "standard vga monitor"

So I flashed it back to clevo vbios... everything runs great but I have to use modded inf.

This however, depends on your laptop.. Ive got MSI GT780R... MSI vbios might work excellent on the GT70 and newer models.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, I've read through this thread and just wanted to let you guys know that I have just successfully installed an MSI 770m in my GT680R with no problems, NONE!! Mine was plug and play. The only thing that I could think of that gave me such success was that I have updated my EC firmware when I was prepping for a 580m. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, but mine worked. I won't kid, I was nervous after reading that no one had luck with an MSI card, but :woot:when mine booted right to windows.

If anyone needs any info, just let me know. I am more than glad to help!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey all, I've read through this thread and just wanted to let you guys know that I have just successfully installed an MSI 770m in my GT680R with no problems, NONE!! Mine was plug and play. The only thing that I could think of that gave me such success was that I have updated my EC firmware when I was prepping for a 580m. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, but mine worked. I won't kid, I was nervous after reading that no one had luck with an MSI card, but :woot:when mine booted right to windows.

If anyone needs any info, just let me know. I am more than glad to help!!

Nice to know it worked! Please share the VBIOS as stated above.

I don't know if people previously have bought a card that wasn't in fact a card from MSI, or it was defective.

Ok guys, here's a screenshot:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16122407/Untitled.jpg

and the vbios:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16122407/MSI.GTX770m.GK106.rom

The best way to know for certain if it's an MSI card is the printed identifier on the card. Most cards I've seen on floating around don't have the standard MSI model number printed on them under the ram dimms right above the chip. Like on my 570m that I pulled it had MS-1W051 printed on it. I would tell what's printed on the 770m, but I don't remember exactly. Hope this helps out.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi inches!, could you send me a link where did you buy your card from, share the link please.

Ok guys, here's a screenshot:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16122407/Untitled.jpg

and the vbios:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16122407/MSI.GTX770m.GK106.rom

The best way to know for certain if it's an MSI card is the printed identifier on the card. Most cards I've seen on floating around don't have the standard MSI model number printed on them under the ram dimms right above the chip. Like on my 570m that I pulled it had MS-1W051 printed on it. I would tell what's printed on the 770m, but I don't remember exactly. Hope this helps out.

Sorry man, there's not a link to a specific seller like everyone else has. I got lucky and caught mine one-off from a regular user on eBay. I wish I could point you in the right direction, but I seriously got lucky. After reading through this and other threads out there, I was sweating bullets hoping my card would post when I got it in. I will say this though. My card is a little different from the Clevo ones that everyone else is buying. Across the top of the card there are normally 4 ICs on the Clevo and other card, but mine only had two spaced every other one. Also it has the black protective tape right around the GPU chip itself. The best way to know if it's an MSi card is if you can see the standard MSi p/n naming convention print on the card i.e. MS-XXXX. That's you're best bet for sure.

Hi inches!, could you send me a link where did you buy your card from, share the link please.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Laptop MSIGT683DX - swapped graphic from GTX 570M to GTX770M - clevo. Modded driver... or looks good.

In tests...

post-12282-14494997696845_thumb.jpg

Throttling...

When testing, it's not throttling - all the time, clock at high speed.

When playing games... it's throttling... GPU (I checked CPU, and CPU don't change any speed.)

GPU Load is going down for few second, and go back to full load.

FPS from 50, go to 20 -10... for those few seconds.

Game - Elder Scrolls Online.... WoT, almost any game which use much of graphic. ( I like to see good graphic in games etc)

I'm thinking to change vbios to MSI bios... and just checked, that there's little differents. (compare to this)

Mine is:

post-12282-14494997696962_thumb.jpg

Texture fillrate slower

Pixel fillrate slower

Bus Interface - different

GPU clock - slower

Will it be good option to flash it?

one more thing, I can't download my vbios using GPU-Z (BIOS reading not supported on this device)

When doing tests in furmar - I run it for 20 min, 1080p, etc... temp was no higher than 75.

Or maybe changing driver will help... which means, I have to mod another driver.

Just info - Win8.1 64bit

Any suggestions?

I flashed slv7's msi vbios. For now, It's working.

Will check about throttling in games (in bench is good) - temp 79 max

Later, I will let you know how is the situation

edit:

Sensors in GPU-Z showing nothing (0MHz) - GPU Memory and Core clock)

Nvidia Inspector doesn't work - all gray, showing nothing.

ok - graphic card driver lost. (after reset) - That's why most of sensors are not working.

I will try to install driver again.

edit:

Installing driver - black screen... Than reset ... than - all good? Driver looks like installed properly.

GPU-Z - showing all things.

I checked Furmark... Almost good, (max temp, under 80, which is not bad).

But, after time, GPU Core Clock going down... and down... and down...

I realize, the reason of this is VDCD - which is 1V.

In my exact situation the best result in Furmark is, when VDDC is 0.9250V. GPU Core Clock stay at one frequency, no problems, just the best.

Also - Throttling. It was not GPU, It was CPU ( temp were 83 max )

Throttling solved also, I used ThrottleStop, to set max multiplier, and after that, I disabled speed step in bios (bios modded - in normal bios, even when speed step disabled, thottling was on....)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, ok this threat seems to be dead, but i think it is the right one to ask a few questions...

I'm having trouble with the GTX 460M in my GT680R. A few weeks ago it shut down my laptop randomly because of VRAM overheating. After I replaced the thermal paste and thermal pads it worked a while... but now i think it is dead. Standard VGA-Mode is working but Nvidia drivers don't. Windows TDR is responding and the monitor freezes. Sometimes there are pixel errors/artefacts. I decided to order a green MSI GTX 770M from Mokkin to replace my card. I also ordered a suitable heatsink.

I'm new to OC, so I have a few questions. First regarding replacement, second regarding OC...

1. I have a 150W power supply. TDP of GTX460M is 72W of GTX 770M it is 75W. Will i need to replace it with a 180W power supply?

2. Do I need to flash unlocked BIOS? ....I'm on the last version from MSI 3.0Z

3. Does EC-Firmware needs to be changed? ... Also last MSI version 4.24

4. If the card doesn't work, can I flash modded vBIOS or will I need to change it to a Clevo card and flash vBIOS?

5. I'm using VGA OC Tool from NVIDIA and Systemcontrolmanager from MSI.

6. Will I have to replace OC Tool with GPU Boost 2.0 from NVIDIA and is it possible to continue using of SCM?

Which ways can I go to OC? MSI Afterburner? Throttlecontrol for CPU etc... What are the benefits? Is it useful for me? I'm mostly playing WOT and KSP.

My intention is to have a stable, simply usage of the Laptop... I dont want to change settings every time I need to.