[HARDWARE MOD] IPS panel for W110ER

Well, it seems the real difference between SLP and SLN is the connector. SLP is "interface pin pitch 0.4 mm" while SLN is 0.5 mm. Wish I had noticed that before buying this SLP1!

Well, that's unfortunate. I was about to spring for the SLP1 as well since the SLN2's screen mounts seem to be an issue. Let us know how the SLP1 works out.

I also have a different 11.6" laptop that I'm trying to replace the screen for, haha.

@Prema

In the pictures in your first post, it looks like the person's SLN1 has the appropriate screen mount attached by bending the old screen mounts. Was that some special setup by the seller?

Well, that's unfortunate. I was about to spring for the SLP1 as well since the SLN2's screen mounts seem to be an issue. Let us know how the SLP1 works out.

I also have a different 11.6" laptop that I'm trying to replace the screen for, haha.

@Prema

In the pictures in your first post, it looks like the person's SLN1 has the appropriate screen mount attached by bending the old screen mounts. Was that some special setup by the seller?

Also about your panel, how did the side brackets not fit into your laptop? The screw holes don't match up, but shouldn't it still fit?

Sorry for the load of questions, very interested in getting an IPS panel!

I don't know about the SNL1, but the SNL2 is not as deep as the original screen, so if we put the screen mounts behind the side brackets there will be huge gap between the screen and the bezel. The screen mounts can very easily be removed with a fine sharp scissor.

I don't know about the SNL1, but the SNL2 is not as deep as the original screen, so if we put the screen mounts behind the side brackets there will be huge gap between the screen and the bezel. The screen mounts can very easily be removed with a fine sharp scissor.

Thanks for the info. That makes a lot of sense, I see why you would need thick double sided tape to attach it.

Greetings,

I'd also like to change the screen in my W110ER to an IPS model.

The first posts in this thread seem to imply that ordering the SLN1 would be the safer and easier choice over the SLN2. However, I'm seeing reports in other forums saying that the SLN1, when bought through laptopscreen.com, doesn't bring the same mounting holes so it has the same problems as the SLN2 in the end.

Also,some people say it doesn't work altogether.

That said, what's the chance of me buying a SLN1 or SLN2 and then having the screen not working at all?

How hard is it to adapt the SLN2 to the W110's upper frame?

Prema mentioned a LVDS extension cable being needed for his SLN2. Is that usually bundled with the screens or should I order one as well?

Thank you for your time.

• 2 weeks later...

Go for the matte SNL2, some versions of the SNL1 come with a non-working firmware.

BTW, just compared the SNL2 to my W230ST IPS screen and it beats it by far in brightness (238 vs. 337 Candela):

wyfh.jpg

Added the Color Correction Profiles for these two monitors here!

ENJOY!

So I just acquired a second-hand W110ER for a friend (yeah, I'm pretty late to the party) and the first thing I noticed was how horrible the stock screen is. I guess I've been spoiled by my W230ST. Anyway, a few google searches later and I've arrived at this thread.

I think I want to do a panel swap. It seems easy enough, provided I find a panel, LVDS extension cable, and some thick double-sided tape. I've found an SLN2 on Ebay at New LP116WH4 SLN2 Exact P N Matte IPS LED Tablet LCD Screen LED A 1366x768 | eBay and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this seller and if there were any other reputable suppliers for this panel? I've already asked the Ebay seller if an LVDS extension cable was provided with the screen and I'm waiting for a reply.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've just received my panel and it's in good shape, but the LVDS extension cable I received is the wrong one. It looks exactly like the one from your pictures Prema, but the connector that plugs into the panel is flipped so that the pin-out is essentially reversed. Now I'm trying to track down the correct cable, but I'm having trouble locating it. Any ideas where I might be able to find one? I tried the panel without the extension and it works fine, but it can't be mounted obviously because the W110er's cable is too short.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all, thought I would throw my hat in the ring for the LCD replacement conversation. you guys have been killing it in getting this little wonder to sing and I have been following this thread in addition to the laptopreview w110er thread, and loving the little w100er enough to try and get a real screen in there to replace the awful stock nonsense. I went with the LP116WH4(SL)(N2) from laptopscreen as well as the LVDS extension cable (invoice read: 1) Laptop LCD Screen 11.6-inch WideScreen (10.08"x5.67") WXGA (1366x768) HD Matte LED compatible with p/n LP116WH4(SL)(N2) / 3 Years warranty. 2) Screen Cable Transfers LED connector from LEFT to RIGHT. 8.9...15.6 LCD) I went with the matte display as that is what I prefer as well as the better viewing angles/overall color quality. (The stock screen really is crap)

1) Here's the little bugger before shenanigans.

IMG_1512.jpg

2) Bezel removed (the 4 black sticky bumps have 4 phillips screws beneath. just carefull when prying off the plastic bezel so it doesn't break (this was the hardest part due to the excitement)

IMG_1514.jpg

3) what the back of the old screen looks like

IMG_1515.jpg

4) attach new screen (the bubbles are protective plastic covering). and this was the result:

IMG_1516.jpg

5) the back of the new screen

IMG_1517.jpg

6) here is the LVDS cable up close. I noticed the right side had 3 cables that seemed soldered together which couldn't be right, so I carefully and miraculously was able to re-solder them with a too-large and unwieldy radioshack soldering gun (it was impressive) but that didn't help.

IMG_1521.jpg

7)So I spent another $48 and bought a new LVDS cable (from RJTECH.com they shipped fast, and would use them again for parts for sure). I re-wired the LVDS exactly the same way the original was (snaking through the hinge was tricky, but not too hard) and here it is... new LVDS cable and new LCD! ugh...

photo_2.jpg

Finally, the WORST part is.. .my orginal LCD doesn't work anymore either!?! The backlight on both work like a charm, but there is no LCD activity. I have connected it to both an external LCD with the VGA output, and an HD tv with HDMI and both work like a charm! So, the graphics cards aren't an issue. I have tried with an without the extension cable with no luck. I have disconnected the power supply and battery and pressed the power button for 30sec and reconnected.. nothing. So it seems I have either blown TWO LCD monitors in this experiment, or there is something wrong with the internal companant that routs to the external display wiring? I'm truly at a loss here. I hope the images help, and if anyone has suggestions or questions, have at it! I am dying to make this little monster live to its full potential!

Prema! thanks for responding- you're the man, btw.

Thanks Prema- I tried what you suggested, but same problem- backlight ok, external displays ok, still no laptop LCD. I booted into the bios using the external screen and (of course YOU know of all people) nothing much in there to speak of (version 1.02.11).

My Mod BIOS has an updated Intel GPU vBIOS, maybe that's why the same screen works here on my system....

TBH something maybe blown on the LCD output on the board side, those 3pins belonged together after all...

One more option would be a broken line in the main LCD cable, just twist it briefly while switched on to see if that changes anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question for those who have done the mod with the SLN2 panel; How did you attach the panel using double sided tape? Did you put the tape behind the panel? Did you attach the panel physically with the tape or is it simply there to keep enough pressure between the frame pieces?

What location seemed to work best for the tape etc... I have the panel working in the laptop now, and it does look fantastic (even with the film still on it it beats the hell out of the stock display) but I'd like to make sure I get this sucker installed as best as possible (don't want it crooked and such lol)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, i have decent problems to get the right LVDS extension cable here in Germany. So is there a Shop were i can see the Specs the cable should have? I would then go to our nearby electronics store and show them the description.

Or has someone a better idea to get a LVDS extension cable to Germany?

I've double-read the whole 4 Pages to get more info about the extension cable. Since johnnyringo smoked up his panel/GPU (by in my opinion using the wrong cable or so) i'm affraid i could loose my w110er also and cripple my card with the wrong cable or so.

So please, i need a little more info about the cable.

EDIT: maybe don't use an extension cable and use some spare parts cable in the right "longer" length. Maybe this Ebay shop has some sort of right Cable?

http://stores.ebay.de/njytouch/Cables-for-DIY-/_i.html?_fsub=3585600018

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there, with a week or two delay i can now respond.

I ordered the adaptercable from laptopscreens.com, the display was a very cheap deal on ebay.de and i prayed that it is the one that i needed.

And yes, to bring a long "change the display session" on the last weekend to an end i can reply that it works like a charm. It was a bit annoying to center the Display in the Bezel. Cause im a perfectionist and i can not stand it if the gap/distance on any of the 4 sides is different. So i had to reopen the Bezel 6 times to get the position i wanted. To fill the gap between the lcd and the lid i used the soft side of thick velcro. It fits perfectly and is a protection also. To secure fasten the lcd because the rough side of the velcro were too much i used hot glue on every of the 4 corners of the screen. It really fits perfectly now and i'm very satisfied!

• 5 months later...

I realize that the W110er is now a few generations behind, but still love this little beast. Like many others, I felt the screen quality left a lot to be desired, so thanks to this thread I decided to give the screen mod a try. For the record, I am using Prema's v3 bios (thanks Prema!)

Ordered the LP116WH4(SL)(N2) along with the smaller left to right adapter, had some tape handy, and got a pack of velcro dots. Worked great! I had read in different places about people thinking velcro would be a good option, and it is. Very satisfied with the result. Still can't believe the colors, viewing angles, and brightness of this screen... and the matte is not grainy like it was on my P170EM.

For the record, I did order from Laptopscreen.com

• 1 month later...

I just Acquired a W110ER and am going to do this IPS Screen upgrade. I am using Prema V1.5 OVA with Windows 7 Home Premium. Hope there wont be any issues. I had to order the screen from China as LaptopScreens was out of stock. Got it from Ebay here.

LP116WH4 SLN2 Exact P N Matte IPS LED Tablet LCD Screen LED A 1366x768 | eBay

I just Upgraded to v3 UOV tonight was easy not any problems and it runs great. Now I just have to wait for my IPS SLN2 Panel to come in a week or two. I plan on using velcro dots so I can easily position/reposition it. Here is my Idle temps with the laptop cooler.

post-31227-1449499878222_thumb.png