Y510P Ram Issue

JosephCianciola

Just bought a y510p, upgraded it with a new m500 120gb SSD and set all that up fine, then i decided to buy 16gb worth of Kingston Hyper-X Pnp Ram, 1600mhz and all, and all it does is cause errors in the boot of windows, pulls a BSOD and loops that with various windows errors. Anyone else having this problem?

Hi, welcome to T|I!

Make sure it's plugged in completely and properly. Then go to the bios and load the default settings and reboot. If you still have issues try one stick at a time only.

Yeah, its a little odd, im not a newbie with computers either and this puzzles me, ive tried each ram stick separately, and with only one hyper-x in a slot, the same error occurs, but when each stick is paired with one of the stock ram sticks (total of 12gb) then the computer starts fine. and i tried each of the hyper-x's with the stock ram just to see if maybe one of the sticks were bad...confusing lol

do you think i need a modded bios first to perhaps mess around with the ram options?

• 2 months later...

Before I bought my Y510P I had 16 gigs of DDR3 1.5v laptop memory sitting around and became very concerned about the whole DDR3 1.5v vs DDR3L 1.35v thing. I did tons of research and couldn't find squat. I decided to go ahead and buy the system and stick the standard DDR3 laptop memory in there and see what happens and guess what... it works. This might just be the ram that I have, or it could not. Who knows. As someone else in some thread that I can't even remember said (because I read, no joke, something like 100 pages on this) if there was an issue ram manufactures and everyone and such would have huge warnings about this.

I'd honestly call Lenovo and see what's up. The ram that I'm running is 1.5v memory (this memory) and it works just fine. Maybe it's my particular model number. Maybe it's my processor (my Y510P has a 4700MQ). I have no idea. But it works.

The ram that came out of my Y510p system was RAMAXEL RMT3170EB68F9W-1600. Here is the data sheet

The ram that came out of the system (the RAMAXEL RMT3170EB68F9W-1600) is spec'd at 1.35v, but backwards compatible to 1.5v. I'm not sure if the Corsair ram that I have in there now is backwards compatible to 1.35v. Or... maybe it's just capable of being undervolted and the ram that you got is not /shrug