14" Lenovo T400 + GTX650Ti@2Gbps+c-EC1 (PE4H 2.4a) + Win7 [robynasi]

Here my 3dmarck06: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P9500,LENOVO 6474C58

<dl><dt>SM2.0 Score</dt><dd> 3150 </dd></dl>

<dl><dt>HDR/SM3.0 Score</dt><dd> 4313 </dd></dl>

<dl><dt>CPU Score</dt><dd> 2108

</dd></dl>

Total 8363.....seems a little low :(

Here's the result of a overclocked 14" Elitebook 6930P [email protected] + [email protected]: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600,Hewlett-Packard 30DB running a 127Mhz pci-e BUS (+27% pci-e OC, 40% CPU OC). Quite a bit better than yours.

• 8 months later...

I would like to report that i have succesfully implemented two pm3n adapters with the pe4h adpater connected with gtx 260 gpu. I have a T400 also but only with intel 4500mhd, no switchable graphics.

I performed a x2e connection, where the connection is established with pcie port 1 and 2, and the GPU-Z reports that I have a x2 connection. But the problem is I can´t get the optimus option to work with my egpu and igpu, even with a succesfull igpu + egpu 32 bit compaction, I even tried 36 bit compaction, forcing the igpu to 36 bit space and forcing igpu + egpu to 32bit space but nothing. I even tried 260, 275, 290, 295, and 306 drivers you mentioned, even with registry modifications to nvinitx, which was no where to be found in the path, so i also extracted te nvinitx.dl_ file to nvinitx.dll file and placed accordingly to the specified path in the reg key, but no results.

Also tried nvidiaInspector, in the edit table of the drivers, I enabled the optimus rendering (shim renedering) but no results.

I am running 64 bit version of Windows 7, with 2gb ram and t8400 core duo processor.

Is it that the optimus option is limited to the x1 connection, or the expresscard adapter (but that is still a x1 connection)? Or am I doing something wrong?

It would be really appreciated if there is a solution to get optimus working with a x2E connection, and will make a detailed guide of achieving such performance, but please help.

I would like to report that i have succesfully implemented two pm3n adapters with the pe4h adpater connected with gtx 260 gpu. I have a T400 also but only with intel 4500mhd, no switchable graphics.

I performed a x2e connection, where the connection is established with pcie port 1 and 2, and the GPU-Z reports that I have a x2 connection. But the problem is I can´t get the optimus option to work with my egpu and igpu, even with a succesfull igpu + egpu 32 bit compaction, I even tried 36 bit compaction, forcing the igpu to 36 bit space and forcing igpu + egpu to 32bit space but nothing. I even tried 260, 275, 290, 295, and 306 drivers you mentioned, even with registry modifications to nvinitx, which was no where to be found in the path, so i also extracted te nvinitx.dl_ file to nvinitx.dll file and placed accordingly to the specified path in the reg key, but no results.

Also tried nvidiaInspector, in the edit table of the drivers, I enabled the optimus rendering (shim renedering) but no results.

I am running 64 bit version of Windows 7, with 2gb ram and t8400 core duo processor.

Is it that the optimus option is limited to the x1 connection, or the expresscard adapter (but that is still a x1 connection)? Or am I doing something wrong?

It would be really appreciated if there is a solution to get optimus working with a x2E connection, and will make a detailed guide of achieving such performance, but please help.

GTX260 will not enable Optimus features. You need at least a Fermi card, say a GTS450 at a minimal. You can of course get better but the driver your are limited to (see below) restricts you to pretty much a GTX680 out of the box. Though with INF file mods you could go up to a GTX7xx.

The last driver allow Optimus on a 4500MHD iGPU is 306.97WHQL: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6253-t500-compat-q-4500mhd-optimus-ends-306-97whql-3.html#post89243 . Optimus can be enabled on a x1, x2, x2E link no problems. However, x1 pci-e compression only engages on a x1 link, which can accelerate DX9 apps 30-300%, eg: 3dmark06 gives a better result when you detach a cable from your x2E link and run x1.

However, the 306.97WHQL driver may restrict performance over new ones as I found at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-336.html#post96830

Therefore, highly recommend you consider upgrading to a Gen2 capable machine with an expresscard slot, something like a HP 8460P/4530s. 8460P one of the rare Sandy Bridge machines with USB 3.0. Ivy Bridge machines coming with USB 3.0 standard.

There you'd get the x1 pci-e compression and bandwidth equivalent to your x2 link. x2/x2E making no different when running recent NVidia cards. AMD cards however do benefit. You'd also need to upgrade your eGPU adapter to say a PE4L 2.1b or a PE4C 2.1.

Thank you for your reply.

I recently upgraded the ram to 4gb, it is 2 x 2 gb of ram, and the problem is with the setup, that upon boot i cant get the thinkpad logo screen on my display, it is in a boot loop, epgu powers on, but laptop wont boot, and it goes on and on. The tolud value with the 4gb of ram installed is 3.0 gb, so i dont understand why is this happening. I also tried switching the delay switch on the pe4h adpater, but no solution, i mean it boots, but setup1.x does not recognize the epgu. When i take out the additional 2gb of ram it boots fine and it is recognized in setup 1.x.

Does this have anything to do with the modification of pci.bat or dsdt table?

Thanks again for your time

Thank you for your reply.

I recently upgraded the ram to 4gb, it is 2 x 2 gb of ram, and the problem is with the setup, that upon boot i cant get the thinkpad logo screen on my display, it is in a boot loop, epgu powers on, but laptop wont boot, and it goes on and on. The tolud value with the 4gb of ram installed is 3.0 gb, so i dont understand why is this happening. I also tried switching the delay switch on the pe4h adpater, but no solution, i mean it boots, but setup1.x does not recognize the epgu. When i take out the additional 2gb of ram it boots fine and it is recognized in setup 1.x.

Does this have anything to do with the modification of pci.bat or dsdt table?

Thanks again for your time

Does appear the T400 BIOS is having trouble allocating the eGPU on boot with 4GB installed, hence the hang. The solution is to ensure the BIOS doesn't see the eGPU on boot. Do that by using the PCI Reset Delay, as you've been unsuccessful to do, or by hotplugging the eGPU after boot in either the Setup 1.30 software or by halting OS boot with F8/F12 and hotplugging.

There is a third solution that being using a PE4C 2.1 instead of a PE4H 2.4. It has two delay switches - PCI Reset Delay (PERST#) and CLRUN, plus is x2 capable and betters the PE4H by offering Gen2 capability.

Does appear the T400 BIOS is having trouble allocating the eGPU on boot with 4GB installed, hence the hang. The solution is to ensure the BIOS doesn't see the eGPU on boot. Do that by using the PCI Reset Delay, as you've been unsuccessful to do, or by hotplugging the eGPU after boot in either the Setup 1.30 software or by halting OS boot with F8/F12 and hotplugging.

There is a third solution that being using a PE4C 2.1 instead of a PE4H 2.4. It has two delay switches - PCI Reset Delay (PERST#) and CLRUN, plus is x2 capable and betters the PE4H by offering Gen2 capability.

The problem is with x2E setup, at least with t400 model, that if I want to successfully boot to windows 7, i have to do port allocaton x2e than reboot, so bios recognizes the x2 setup and than do the 32 bit compaction... Than i have a fully working x2 connection, but the hot plug or halt method, obviously wont work because i tried and the only thing I got was recognition of x1 connection (with the delay switch and timing the access to setup in 2-3seconds, but in that case i would only get after 32 bit compaction only 64mb usable for graphics...)

I think immediately when you use the second slot for ddr module in thinkpad t400 you will have problems booting the egpu. I thought that the solution maybe in the 8gb of ram, but only confirmation we have is from the person who started this thread, and he didnt go pass the x1 connection and with pcexpress card adapter,which in his case is a crippled x1 connection.

As for the rest of the solutions, I am not planning to buy any new adapters in the near future.

But I would still like to believe that the solution lays in the 8gb of ram, and would like to hear your opinion.

UPDATE,

I checked the bios version for my t400 it dates from 2008, and there is a newer one dating from 2012 version 3.24/25, I think that would explain why I get a subscore of 5.9 in windows, for my ssd which was originally from t61 with middleton bios and it had a score of 7.4, so basically I am not running the disk at sata 2 speeds, and that would explain problems with 4gb ram upgrade regarding the egpu setup.

I would like to try that solution, with your consultation on that mather. The only thing that bugs me, is, is it safe to put a bios image on a usb stick and flash it from usb, or does it have to be a flash via cd-rom, burnt image disc.

Thank you for your time

The problem is with x2E setup, at least with t400 model, that if I want to successfully boot to windows 7, i have to do port allocaton x2e than reboot, so bios recognizes the x2 setup and than do the 32 bit compaction... Than i have a fully working x2 connection, but the hot plug or halt method, obviously wont work because i tried and the only thing I got was recognition of x1 connection (with the delay switch and timing the access to setup in 2-3seconds, but in that case i would only get after 32 bit compaction only 64mb usable for graphics...)

Try hotplugging the port1 mPCIe/EC slot after setting x2/x2E mode. I had a problem with a P8600 HP DV4 with the same issue. What happened was that once CLKRUN# was started on the port1 it would never actually run in x2 mode, even though the port was set to. I ended up modding my PM3N where the jumper was changed from being a delay to starting CLKRUN# when set. That fixed it, alleviating the need to do the somewhat dangerous hotplugging.

Try hotplugging the port1 mPCIe/EC slot after setting x2/x2E mode. I had a problem with a P8600 HP DV4 with the same issue. What happened was that once CLKRUN# was started on the port1 it would never actually run in x2 mode, even though the port was set to. I ended up modding my PM3N where the jumper was changed from being a delay to starting CLKRUN# when set. That fixed it, alleviating the need to do the somewhat dangerous hotplugging.

I tried your method but nothing, i even replaced the 2 gb ram module in the top slot with a one with 1gb and still the same result, immediately when the top ram slot is occupied it fails to boot with the egpu.

I think the problem is in the outdated bios, beacuse the ssd that was in the t61 had speeds up to 160mb/s when copying and on the t400 it has somewhere between 70 - 90 mb/s. I dont even have sata 2 speed, and its a newer chipset.... I dont understand...

The problem is with the bios, because many users bricked their t400s when updating bios, red a lot of posts about it (to avoid flashing via windows and do it via boot image, but still....). It isnt a bullet proof mod like middleton bios for t61. For that reason I am discouraged to try it for now. I ll wait to grow a pair, and try it later, than I will post results if there are any changes. For now when I use 2gb in 1 slot everything works fine.

If you have any additional info or experience about this it would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the reply.

I tried your method but nothing, i even replaced the 2 gb ram module in the top slot with a one with 1gb and still the same result, immediately when the top ram slot is occupied it fails to boot with the egpu.

I think the problem is in the outdated bios, beacuse the ssd that was in the t61 had speeds up to 160mb/s when copying and on the t400 it has somewhere between 70 - 90 mb/s. I dont even have sata 2 speed, and its a newer chipset.... I dont understand...

The problem is with the bios, because many users bricked their t400s when updating bios, red a lot of posts about it (to avoid flashing via windows and do it via boot image, but still....). It isnt a bullet proof mod like middleton bios for t61. For that reason I am discouraged to try it for now. I ll wait to grow a pair, and try it later, than I will post results if there are any changes. For now when I use 2gb in 1 slot everything works fine.

If you have any additional info or experience about this it would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the reply.

I can't see how it can fail to boot if you don't have lane1 connected to the PE4H (first port) on boot. Lane2 is connected using just the 4 PCIe lines with no control signalling so won't even register the card. Pls try again - ensure lane1 is disconnected on boot, boot to Setup 1.30, change your port to x2 mode, hotplug lane1 to the mPCIe port.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't see how it can fail to boot if you don't have lane1 connected to the PE4H (first port) on boot. Lane2 is connected using just the 4 PCIe lines with no control signalling so won't even register the card. Pls try again - ensure lane1 is disconnected on boot, boot to Setup 1.30, change your port to x2 mode, hotplug lane1 to the mPCIe port.

Ok, I have been away from experimenting with egpu for some time due to the lack of it. But I managed to acquire some for additional testing and this is what I came with following your advice.

Disconnecting the first lane from the mpcie port or the 1st mini hdmi connector on the adapter doesnt make a difference when i boot to the setup 1.x, of course I cant boot with the first mini hdmi port on the adapter occupied, when connecting it to the port after entering the setup it is still not recognized. Further more, I tried combining the first and the second mcpie ports with first or second mini hdmi ports on the adapter, but no successfull results (following your disconnection advice).

The odd thing is when i boot with 4 gigs of ram and set the delay switch on the egpu adapter to number 2 (I think the delay is for 6 or something seconds) I boot to the setup 1.30 with no problems but with no egpu recognized even with f5 rescan option BUT immediately when I setup the port to do the x2e connection the egpu is RECOGNIZED.... but the pci allocation option offers me 256 mb of memory that end up with 64 mb of memory after doing the 32 bit compaction... And following the procedure with the reboot to get the x2E functionality I lose again the connection due to the delay or it simpy stops when I try to trick it by setting the dely switch back to 1 between the setup and the reboot.

I think, this is the problem, as you mentioned with the bios, something is messing it when the top ram module slot is occupied, or could it be to the CPU? or the eGPU (which is the gtx260 with 896mb and 448 bit memory bus), I even considered that the memory bus size (448bit) could be making this problems.

What do you think?

I still didnt try to do the bios update, because all I see in the version descriptor is "updated CPU microcode"....

Again, thank you for your time and patience

I have been reading abut bios updates for the t400 model, and apparently lots of people are using modded bios versions of the 3.24 bios, because it removes the whitelist limitations when installing new wifi cards. Could it be, that with occupied top ram module slot, it somehow blocks the egpu because it is using the wifi slot, like it automatically whitelists the port being used for connection to the adapter?

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/16/2015 at 8:40 PM, asdfasdfsadfa said:

Woohoo, thanks robynasi! I've just gotten my eGPU (Gainward GeForce GTX 650Ti 1GB) to work with my Thinkpad T500 with these drivers, displaying on the internal LCD (using the ExpressCard EXP GDC to connect it). Magic!

Hi, do you think it's also support GTX750 Ti?