14" Lenovo T400 + GTX650Ti@2Gbps+c-EC1 (PE4H 2.4a) + Win7 [robynasi]

Hi guys, i want to report my experience with this configuration. All was with the aim of best performance per watt per dollar per volume:

PSU 12V 30A + 12V to 5V DC-DC converter (18€+3€)

Zotac GTX 650Ti 2Gb (used for 100€) [one of the best performance per watt per dollar when i buy it ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti Direct Cu II 1 GB Review | techPowerUp]

Lenovo Thinkpad T400 (only intel 4500MHD video, 8Gb ram, T9500 @ 2,55Ghz upgrade to T9900 (used for 45€) @ 3.06 Ghz undervolted @ 1.1V 35W TDP) (used for 250€) (very reliable and rugged notebook)

PE4H 2.4a + hdmi cable + express adapter (used for 45€)

981768_10201669830846832_1462568574_o.jpg

1071399_10201669830086813_1203454239_o.jpg

Wired all up and:

1) plugin the express card adapter

2) power up the PSU and video card

3) power up the noebook

Everythng go fine, windows 7 boot up. Card was recognized, so i installed the lastest nvidia desktop driver (320.49). All ok. External video work.

Now there is something that i can not solve:

1) if i do not clone or extend the desktop on the eGPU i can't open the Nvidia control panel

2) can't find the "Preferred graphic processor" in the "Manage 3D setting" tab in the control panel (so i do not know if Optimus work)

3) can't figure out how to use internal LCD.

Can someone land me a hand? :D

Thank you guys

EDIT:

I finally get optimus working for my 650Ti card with 306.97 driver (luckily it is the first driver that support gtx650Ti!! and the last that support optimus for intel 4500MHD!!!!! :bananadoggywow::bananadoggywow:) with modified inf nvwi.inf - Komeil Bahmanpour Download Center , and the Microsoft Intel driver 8.15.10.2555:

post-15344-14494997764661_thumb.jpg

I'm now think to implement this setup using one of the other pcie slots of my thinkpad T400:

- one internal (unknow if root port 1 or 5)

- one which is used in the docking station (Thinkpad Advanced Dock) (unknow if root port 1 or 5)

post-15344-14494997776588_thumb.jpg

The other already used are:

- wifi (root port 2)

-express card (root port 4) [there is no root port 3 :confused::confused:]

post-15344-14494995797121_thumb.jpg

post-15344-14494995797217_thumb.jpg

Wired all up and:

1) plugin the express card adapter

2) power up the PSU and video card

3) power up the noebook

Everythng go fine, windows 7 boot up. Card was recognized, so i installed the lastest nvidia desktop driver (320.49). All ok. External video work.

Now there is something that i can not solve:

1) if i do not clone or extend the desktop on the eGPU i can't open the Nvidia control panel

2) can't find the "Preferred graphic processor" in the "Manage 3D setting" tab in the control panel (so i do not know if Optimus work)

3) can't figure out how to use internal LCD.

Can someone land me a hand? :D

Thank you guys

The 4500MHD iGPU needs to be active for the Optimus "preferred graphics" option to be available. Seems your BIOS sets the eGPU to be the only active graphics using your current bootup method since it detects it on boot. So change the bootup process so the BIOS does not see the eGPU by either:

hotplug after BIOS post to avoid BIOS detection

i) plugin the express card (EC2C) adapter

1) power up the notebook and hit F8 to halt Win7 startup

2) power up the PSU and video card and plug in the mHDMI connector into the EC2C.

3) continue loading Win7

OR

Use PERST# delay to avoid BIOS detection of eGPU

i) Preset the PE4H 2.4a PERST# delay to 6.9 (SW1=2) or 15s (SW1=3). The 15s option tends to work better.

ii) Plugin the express card (EC2C) adapter

1) power up the PSU and video card

2) power up the notebook and hit F8 to halt Win7 startup

3) wait for RED PERST# LED on PE4H 2.4 to switch off

4) continue loading Win7

Yeah, it does not run hybrid graphics but switchable graphics instead.

In the old switchable graphics implementation both the iGP and dGP can talk directly to the monitor, flashes flicks of black screens as the graphics switches, unlike in Optimus/Enduro where the dGP has to talk to the iGP so that it'll pass the signals to the display.

Yeah, it does not run hybrid graphics but switchable graphics instead.

In the old switchable graphics implementation both the iGP and dGP can talk directly to the monitor, flashes flicks of black screens as the graphics switches, unlike in Optimus/Enduro where the dGP has to talk to the iGP so that it'll pass the signals to the display.

mmm....so i can't use the eGPU with the internal LCD?

Yes you can. Not sure why all this talk of switchable dGPU graphics. You've indicated you have the 4500MHD model. There were some T400 units with switchable 4500MHD + HD3470 which again wouldn't be a problem. There you'd use a stock Intel 4500MHD driver rather than the Lenovo one and if necessary, disable the HD3470 using Setup 1.x to give you just the desirable 4500MHD.

Then the 4500MHD + GTX650Ti would run in an Optimus configuration gaining you internal LCD support and x1 pci-e compression. The latter accelerating DX9 anything from 30-300%.

Yes you can. Not sure why all this talk of switchable dGPU graphics. You've indicated you have the 4500MHD model. There were some T400 units with switchable 4500MHD + HD3470 which again wouldn't be a problem. There you'd use a stock Intel 4500MHD driver rather than the Lenovo one and if necessary, disable the HD3470 using Setup 1.x to give you just the desirable 4500MHD.

Then the 4500MHD + GTX650Ti would run in an Optimus configuration gaining you internal LCD support and x1 pci-e compression. The latter accelerating DX9 anything from 30-300%.

Ok, I did my tests. I followed your suggestion and boot up with the "hotplug after BIOS post to avoid BIOS detection" solution, but the situation is the same as boot with all aleady connected. So i follow your 2nd suggestion and i installed the last Intel GM45 unbranded driver. And boot again with "hotplug after BIOS post to avoid BIOS detection". But nothing again..the Nvidia Panel come up only if duplicate or extend or projector only mode. Also the "Preferred graphic processor" in the "Manage 3D setting" tab is missing. :too_sad:

I also notice that, starting with the hotplug method i lost the audio.

I want to inform you also that playing with the lastes Nvidia driver .inf i found that for the GTX 650 Ti the following keys are missing:

[nv_miscBase_addreg__##]
HKLM,"SoftwareNVIDIA CorporationGlobalCoprocManager",OptimusEnhancements,%REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,"SoftwareNVIDIA CorporationGlobalCoprocManager",ShowContextMenu,%REG_DWORD%,1

(I followed this post: LINK )

I tryed to use the 320.18 driver with the laptopToGo modded inf, but nothing change....

Another thing...in the bios i can change the "default primary video device" (Internal or PCIe) and the boot display device like in this photo (but i don't have the last two options as i don't have switchable graphic): [ATTACH=CONFIG]8460[/ATTACH]

Ok, installed with modded driver but...nothing :dejection:. The preferred graphic processor won't to show up. Thank you anyway for your help.

Anyway i saved two Everest report for a comparison between booting with GPU already pluged and pllug it after BIOS as suggested from nando. Here you go (it's a truly mess LOL):

2lvztoj.jpg

Ok, installed with modded driver but...nothing :dejection:. The preferred graphic processor won't to show up. Thank you anyway for your help.

Check in Device Manager that you have two DIsplay Adapters - The GM45/4500MHD one and the GTX650Ti one. Also check the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs = C:\Windows\system32\nvinitx.dll It's the one that initiates NVidia Optimus.

Since preferred graphics isn't appearing it's recommended you do a reinstall of the GM45/4500MHD iGPU driver from Intel's website. Then do a reinstall of the NVidia driver, selecting 'Clean' install. With NVidia you may want to try a couple of versions older too. If still no go I'd suggest a clean Win7 install.

• 2 months later...

I have done a clean windows 7 64 installation on the new SSD drive, so i installed the intel driver (from intel installation) and so i installed the latest nvidia desktop driver. Restart and cheked the regkey....the AppInit_DLLs was empty, so i added the C:\Windows\system32\nvinitx.dll value myself. Restarting..and nothing. I can't see the option for the Optimus...:(

Check in Device Manager that you have two DIsplay Adapters - The GM45/4500MHD one and the GTX650Ti one. Also check the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs = C:\Windows\system32\nvinitx.dll It's the one that initiates NVidia Optimus.

Since preferred graphics isn't appearing it's recommended you do a reinstall of the GM45/4500MHD iGPU driver from Intel's website. Then do a reinstall of the NVidia driver, selecting 'Clean' install. With NVidia you may want to try a couple of versions older too. If still no go I'd suggest a clean Win7 install.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
To the OP: did you ever get optimus to work? I have Lenovo T500 (same Intel card) with GTX 750 and I also want to enable Optimus. I am currently using driver 335.23

Would you try the 306.97 driver and let me know? As mentioned by nando here: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6253-t500-compat-q-4500mhd-optimus-ends-306-97whql-2.html#post89243

Here my 3dmark06: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P9500,LENOVO 6474C58

External monitor/ internal LCD:

<dl><dt>

SM2.0 Score 3150/2931 </dt></dl>

<dl><dt>HDR/SM3.0 Score 4313/3448 </dt></dl>

<dl><dt>CPU Score 2108/2105 </dt><dd>

</dd></dl>Total 8363 for external.....seems a little low :(