IC Diamond 24 Carot And GTX 780 ?

Dicehunter

My 780 since I got it about a month ago has been running very hot, Idle of 50'c and that was before the heatwave, Took off the shroud and someone at the factory must of run out of TIM as there was literally only enough to cover half a skittles/smarties worth.

I have some IC Diamond 24 Carot which I just used on my 4770K and it's really good stuff but would it be safe on the 780 ?

Silly question I know but I'd rather be safe than sorry smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've heard that IC diamond can scratch the die no?

I swear by IC Diamond for it's thermal conductivity performance, but it does leave a permanent stain on both the die's and the HS/Liquid Block's surface. That's their only "Con" IMO. As for my 780 Classified's, I'm using Arctic MX-4 because I noticed how shiny and smooth the die is in the GK110 chip and didn't want to leave a permanent stain on them.

• Founder

I prefer and use mx4 for the same reason. It cools nearly as well as ic diamond but doesn't leave scratches. The problem is that it needs to be changed out far more frequently vs ic diamond.

Sent from my GT-I9100

• Thumbs Up 1

I've heard that IC diamond can scratch the die no?

It can. Mosts other pastes can too though. I've gotten scratches from shin-itsu and pk-1 as well. The scratches aren't really that big of a deal since they are very shallow and only affect the top protective layer, which happens to be very high thermal resistance (SiO2). My CPU is a complete mess after all the pastes I've tried on it and it still works fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...