What is your preferred method of transporting your laptop?

To put my title more simply, what kind of computer case, if any, do you use? I am looking at options for 15.6 to 17 inch laptop bags/cases/sleeves. I have been investigating what is available and am surprised at the lack of hard cases that are available. It appears that sleeves and fabric cases have become the norm. I am mostly asking people who travel, short or long distances, that have experience with multiple cases. If you have any suggestions, I have a Lenovo Y500 15.6 inch laptop. Usually take my charger, a few flash drives, and some cleaning instruments with me. Occasionally more.

Thanks for any input!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I had my XPS m1530 and Alienware m14xr1 I used a cheap Targus tote bag from Best Buy. I bought a Surface Pro for grad school a few months ago and just stick that in my backpack. Bought an Alienware 18 recently to sit on my desk, but if I'm ever brave enough to carry it around I imagine I'll have to find something far more expensive and comfy for it to sit in.

Hi guys, I'm new here. I travel a lot so I have a bit of experience with this topic. First of all, I would reccomend one that will completely open up. Not like the one you slide your note in like an envelope, but a one that will likely have a zipper that can be zipped open all the way. The reason for this is for some notebooks, the envelope type will tear off the rubber feet after being stashed in and out repeatedly. I think you can imagine how good it will sit on a desk after that. And just for a small tip, If you put it in a large suitecase for business trips and such, I reccomend you get a piece of cloth that can be laid between the LCD and the keyboard while it's in the case. Many notebooks will have the keyboard rub against the LCD and create small scars on them when squeezed together and transported for a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently using a bag that you put over your shoulder but when it is half full+(computer, charger, mouse etc) it really starts hurting my shoulder and neck so I consider buying a sturdy backpack instead.

I have a shoulder bag with a little extra padding I mustered with my non-existent home economics skills. I ride my bike everywhere so it makes a good electronics bag, im not going to say its drop proof as far as laptops go, but i have yet to break anything that i put in it so far XD.

I have a fairly normal looking backpack with a laptop sleeve in it. I just put the laptop in the sleeve and there is plenty of room left over for books and binders. I keep my original 180W charger in the backpack at all times while leaving the 330W at home. Saves on packing/unpacking time by a lot.

If I travel with my laptop. It depends where I want to use it. If I have to use it for short periods of time with available mains I ditch the battery. I prefer to have a ups if I'm doing important work. If I have to carry the adapter, battery and mouse. I wear pants with deep back pockets and stuff everything that can fit comfortably to reduce the overall weight on my shoulders. Sometimes I even ditch the bag and use a cheap sturdy opaque thin plastic briefcase(beware of flimsy handles) when I travel comfortably in short distances. This works very well for ultrathin laptops and nobody will suspect that you are carrying a precious cargo. I even keep extra adapters and mice on places where I frequent just to keep the bulk and weight down.

For my home 17" laptop i don't have a bag at all, since i hardly go anywhere with it and if so, then i can simply place it on the back seat of the car and it'll be just as fine as within a sleeve or any other light fabric carry case, since it does seem to me as well, that there are very few decent hard cases around these days, if any. For my work Latitude however i have a pretty robust carrying case.

I was very excited to receive my Dell M6700 and was promptly surprised by how large it was compared to other 17in laptops I had had from dell previously. Unfortunately, a hard case would have made the laptop far too bulky to carry in my briefcase, so I opted for a "Cosmos Black Neoprene/Cotton 17.3in" case from amazon that added a little cushion but not much extra weight.

Had I had a larger space to carry it, I'd have opted for a hard case. Never hurts to be prepared.

I use a sleeve by slappa for my MSI GT 70 and put that in my kelty redwing backpack. I carry it every day to university along with my books. My bag weighs about 30 pounds, but i really don't care cause as an engineering student i love the performance i get out of the laptop and plus the huge screen. Anyways, I love the case, it provides some padding, and keeps my baby safe!! I would recommend it to anybody, especially if your carrying your laptop in your backpack. Plus since its not too bulky you have plenty of room for your books. Anyways good luck with your search!!!

Until recently I just carried the old laptop around without anything, with the charger laying on top of it as I carried it, lol.

I just bought a new Alienware 18, though, and have a Vindicator briefcase/bag to carry it in. This laptop is massive...and so is the bag!

I use Everki Beacon Laptop Backpack for everyday commuting (I use motorcycle to campus etc)

Thick soft padding for the laptop and lots of compartement. It has rain cover as well.

Can fit an M18x and a PS3. Lol.

Been using it for more than 18 months.

But you can take a look @ Deuter backpacks.

They are awesome.

• 1 month later...

I have an MSI GT60, which is a pretty hefty laptop. I put my laptop into a neoprene sleeve and the sleeve into my backpack. The sleeve prevents the other contents of my backpack from damaging the laptop.