Alienware M17x R3 upgrading to GTX 780m

Help! Everything boots up okay but it will not install the NVIDIA drivers! In BIOS it detects it as NVIDIA GFX, I've already loaded optimal defaults, set display to PEG, disabled IGD, and tried with the modified .ini of retail drivers 320.49. I run the setup and it cannot detect compatible hardware. It just stays at "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". I'm running Windows 8 Pro.

:06:

Windows 8 GTX 780M installation (Windows 7 skip step 2 and 4).

Thermal Pad Placement.

976i.png

Verify that the card is properly seated https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vEk_ZFAzLI#t=3m51s

1)Enter the A12 unlocked bios [M17x R3] - BIOS A12 'unlocked' & 'SATA tweak' Integrated sound card disabled (After installation try re-enabling IDT - install audio drivers first)>disable the integrated graphics Second Advanced Menu>Video Configuration>disable IGP>set display to PEG>F10 reboot.

2) Once in windows disable driver signing.

.1 -Open command prompt (Admin) windows key + X

.2 -Type "bcdedit /set {current} testsigning yes" (without quotes) enter.

.3 -"The operation concluded successfully"

.4 -Type exit> reboot.

3) Driver installation.

Download GeForce 331.58 - WHQL Game Ready Driver

.1 -Install Nvidia driver.

.2 -extract.

.3 -Installation failed "No compatible device found">close dialog.

.4 -Browse the extracted Nvidia folder (C:\Nvidia)>open Display.Driver folder> copy/overwrite with the provided nvdmn.inf file.

.5 -Run setup.exe within the extracted Nvidia folder. (green icon .exe)

.6 -Select custom install>Check clean install option.

.7 -Reboot.

Modded nvdmn.inf (unzip) nvdmn.inf_M17XR2_R3_R4_ 3D _M18XR1_R2 Nvidia GTX 680M _780M_v331.58

4) Exit windows 8 test mode.

.1 -Again open command prompt (Admin).

.2 -Type "bcdedit /set {current} testsigning no" enter.

.3 -Type exit>reboot.

ylrx.png

Edit: Guide updates here (modded .inf) Alienware M17xR3 GTX 780M installation

• Thumbs Up 6

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you so much J95,

Everything works, I played a bit of Battlefield 3 and it runs perfectly on ultra settings :).

Hi yoyane, is your m17x the one with 3d (120hz screen)? Curious to see if the new 780m can work on the m17x with 120hz screens. If so I shall go ahead with my 780m purchase :)

Cheers.

Hi yoyane, is your m17x the one with 3d (120hz screen)? Curious to see if the new 780m can work on the m17x with 120hz screens. If so I shall go ahead with my 780m purchase :)

Cheers.

My m17x is in the same boat, I have an R3 with 120hz LCD. From what I've seen it will work fine, but 3d vision will not since there is a check done somewhere between the bios, GPU, and drivers that determines if your combination of hardware will support 3d vision.

It's the same situation with the 120hz R3 and the 680m, a petition was sent to Dell but no action was ever taken.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks charlie22911, I don't losing the 3d function however I would like to keep the 120hz refresh rate. The method J95 posted, will it work on the m17x r4 as well?

Cheers,

I have 3D M17x R4. 120Hz works fine. No 3D.

• Thumbs Up 1

So then it appears possible to put an nVidia GTX 780m into an Ivy Bridge laptop like the M17x R3. I was thinking at first that I'd seen somewhere that it wasn't going to be possible but that's awesome! I'd like to run that upgrade sometime in the future when I can afford the card - but I'll be sticking with Windows 7 on my M17x.

J95, that instructional info is a great post, looks very helpful!

Has anyone else gotten a 780m working in their M17x / M18x or similar machine? What's your performance increase like versus whatever original card you had? I have the AMD 7970m myself.

Thanks.

Angie, I'm pretty sure widezu69 and a couple of other guys over another forum got the 780m working on their R4s. Its definitely possible however the only thing I'm not 100% sure about is whether they are using a dell 780m or the clevo 780m. My 780m (on its way) is from upgradeyourlaptop guy on ebay and I think its the clevo one. Hopefully the clevo is compatible :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so i formulated all my thoughts and hear it is. I am currently in the process of organizing the money to upgrade my laptop gpu from a 6990m to a 780m. I have looked on ebay.com and have read forum after forum on instructions to complete a sucessful upgrade.

This is the card I'm looking at:

Alienware M17x M18x VGA Upgrade Kit New NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB DDR5 MXM 3 0B | eBay

Now, I've read that AMD heatsinks aren't compatible with nvidia cards. Is this true? if so, i will have to purchase an nvidia heatsink to complete the upgrade. I am looking at this one on ebay.com:

Dell Alienware M17x R3 R4 GeForce NV13E GS1 GTX675M GPU Heatsink MT1DN | eBay

This is gona be an expensive upgrade... :50_002:... well at least for me. Anyways, I'd really like someone to tell me if I'm heading in the right direction.

Do i even need a new heatsink? Please, any replies will be greatly appreciated. :14_002:

I have already flashed my bios to version A12 (unlocked i believe), i downloaded the nvidia beta drivers along with the modded inf file. I really really really want to get this :13_002:

I didn't disable the onboard sound because I didn't see an option for it in my bios. I do have the modified A12. What does disabling the sound do?

Also, my clock is 771MHz not 850 like yours. Why is that?

@cheetos82 did you disable the onboard sound card ? latest drivers http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/4132-alienware-m17x-r3-upgrading-gtx-780m.html#post57970

Leaked Win8.1 Pro RTM.

wopp.png

The heatsink will work fine use this 680m thermal pad placement/reference http://www.techinferno.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/680M.jpg disable the IDT onboard sound card and use a USB SC instead http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/3702-m17x-r3-gpu-upgrade-gtx-780m-9.html#post61496

Really? Ok. Thanks :40_002:

Soo, all the other forums where people say AMD heatsinks will not work with nvidia cards is incorrect then? :02:

Btw, I have a AMD 6870m as well, and the stock heatsink to go with that. Do you think I should use the heatsink from the 6870m or the heatsink from the 6990m?

Another question is... it's 100% confirmed that once i go with this upgrade, I will have to buy: USB Sound Card NC89 6 Channel 5 1 Optical Audio s PDIF External New Useful | eBay because I will need to disable the integrated soundcard?