Y500 VS Y510p

my414

Hi everybody could you tell me how much of a performance improvement the haswell update of the y500 brings. I have gotten my y500 recently and I was wondering if it is worth it to send it back to lenovo to trade for the new y510p. I was also wondering if I could upgrade the cpu on the y500 because the game I play only uses a single core and it seems to struggle sometimes and I wanted to know if I could get a faster cpu or overclock a little bit. Thanks

Hi everybody could you tell me how much of a performance improvement the haswell update of the y500 brings. I have gotten my y500 recently and I was wondering if it is worth it to send it back to lenovo to trade for the new y510p. I was also wondering if I could upgrade the cpu on the y500 because the game I play only uses a single core and it seems to struggle sometimes and I wanted to know if I could get a faster cpu or overclock a little bit. Thanks

You simply don't send your Y500 back unless you want the company to go bankrupt. Anyone with a little decency knows that :D

Haswell is only 7% faster. So the difference is not worth it anyways.

You can always force turbo boost while gaming using throttlestop. But I honestly refuse to do this because you skyrocket the temps.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the Y500 and was very tempted to buy the 510. The issue was the time to receive the computer. I picked up a refurb Y500 for 800 and got it that day! I will probobly be kicking myself later for not going with the 510, but really if you can get the Y500 for a lower price, I would (did). Jester is right with the 7% processor increase, and it would be good to look up the 750m vs 650m. For me, it was a wash and I like to save money. I hope this helps!

• 2 years later...

I have a y500. Personally instead of getting a y510 I would recommend using the extra money leftover from y500 to get a 250gb ssd and a better wireless card(you need to flash bios for wirelss card). That would probably have a more tangible performance boost then just getting the y510. This is a important note to pay attention to. My y500 has sli 650ms 1gb vram. The 1gb vram is a major bottleneck in new triple A games. If you can get a laptop with 2gb or more of vram I would highly recommend it. A good choice would be a clevo/sager laptop which can be found here. rjtech.com

I have a y500. Personally instead of getting a y510 I would recommend using the extra money leftover from y500 to get a 250gb ssd and a better wireless card(you need to flash bios for wirelss card). That would probably have a more tangible performance boost then just getting the y510. This is a important note to pay attention to. My y500 has sli 650ms 1gb vram. The 1gb vram is a major bottleneck in new triple A games. If you can get a laptop with 2gb or more of vram I would highly recommend it. A good choice would be a clevo/sager laptop which can be found here. rjtech.com

The 650M has 2GB VRAM

Nah, the difference in between the two isn't really enough to justify buying a new one. I'm not really familiar with how a trade in would work, but if it would cost you some more money then I'd just stick with the Y500.

• 2 months later...

Agreed with ninjo113. An SSD would be a much better investment. My y500 with the dual geforce 750m's and a 480GB SSD is flying. Yes, AAA games won't run well on maximum settings but hey if I can run Crysis 1,2 and 3 on max settings at native resolution without any overclocking that's good enough for my needs.

• 3 months later...