M17x R2 + GTX780M - safemode boot OK, Normall boot NOT

flingin

I PMed dell reps of course they didn't know anything about it, one of them said he was going to investigate but still no answer, it is very difficult to reproduce this fix if the vBIOS/680m is not available, Dell/Clevo never released it and nvidia won't make it public moreover after 326.01 win8.1 preview WHQL drivers fixed the blank screen bug for R3/R4, we only know "the DFP entries in DCB table is ruled as invalid, so no gpio data set, and hence we don't detect the panel at all"

laptovideo2go maybe someone there could try modding drivers and force detection, with R3/780m still when updating drivers the screen turns black a couple of times then returns normal.

I don't know if you tried installing 314.22 after you were able to boot/normal mode, download NVIDIA DRIVERS 314.22WHQL extract it using 7-zip and delete all folders except Display.Driver folder.

nvdmn.inf_M17XR2_GTX780M_v314.22.zip

• Thumbs Up 2

do you try this process ? :

installing their card in a M17x R2 R3

1. Flash bios with (R2) A10 or (R3) A12 , unlocked Bios

2. a) Disable onboard HD audio /R3 Disable onboard grahpic card

B) Disable IDT GPU in advanced settings

//R3 change display model from SG to PDG

3. Install Card

4. Install this driver with the .ini mod (easy):

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/30324-v32629-windows-8-64bit-nvidia-mobile-oem/

(Ashely)

do you try this process ? :

installing their card in a M17x R2 R3

1. Flash bios with (R2) A10 or (R3) A12 , unlocked Bios

2. a) Disable onboard HD audio /R3 Disable onboard grahpic card

B) Disable IDT GPU in advanced settings

//R3 change display model from SG to PDG

3. Install Card

4. Install this driver with the .ini mod (easy):

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/30324-v32629-windows-8-64bit-nvidia-mobile-oem/

(Ashely)

Yes i have tried it, it is from laptopmonkey ebay listing. And, it DOES NOT WORK.

More,,,Laptopmonkey most likely Lied me, they have told me that their 780m works in their m17x R2, and they were unable to give me any screenshots to confirm that.

SO. Until Vbios is not fixed, we can dream on....

I would like to ask Sir SLV7 for further help, i am willing to donate some $ if he can provide a nicely mod-fixed vbios, Please :)

Follow this guide (flash the latest M18xR2 unlocked system BIOS) http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/4132-alienware-m17x-r3-upgrading-gtx-780m.html#post57970

Skip disabling the integrated sound card, Creative SC shouldn't have issues with the 780m.

Welcome back :) There is no way to run an image on the CLEVO GTX780M in M18xR2:( I've done everything right and no effect: ( Soon I'll have a GTX 780 but versions DELL:) Clevo sells versions at an attractive price. 'll Let you know how it went with the version of Dell :)

Yes i have tried it, it is from laptopmonkey ebay listing. And, it DOES NOT WORK.

More,,,Laptopmonkey most likely Lied me, they have told me that their 780m works in their m17x R2, and they were unable to give me any screenshots to confirm that.

SO. Until Vbios is not fixed, we can dream on....

I would like to ask Sir SLV7 for further help, i am willing to donate some $ if he can provide a nicely mod-fixed vbios, Please :)

Hey Flingin,

Sorry to see that you're still having troubles, however, I have been using a GTX770M for nearly a month now with no problems whatsoever. As they are pratically the same card with the only differences being VRAM Size, GPU Power, and BIOS, which mean that it Should work.

I'm going to rule out any of your problems being hardware realated such as interface, GPU size/Incompatibility and VRAM size/Incompatibility, this is mainly because, as stated above, the GTX770M has exactly the same interface, exactly the same GPU Family, exactly the same RAM family, and identical High Definition Sound Device.

So this leads me to your VBIOS, what was your VBIOS configured for in the first place? Have you reverted to your stock VBIOS yet? Have you asked to try Fred1977's VBIOS, and tried that? All of these questions need to be ticked off before you can say that it doesn't work.

Once you have reverted you VBIOS, make sure that all steps in this guide are checked off, this is exactly, to the letter, how I got my card to work, if you follow this and it still doesn't work then you can assume that the card simply just wont work with the R2 for some reason; providing of course that you are using the dell/stock VBIOS.

Just a last note, it is well worth putting windows into diagnostic startup mode, via MSConfig in safe mode, this will prevent any pesky IDT audio drivers coming on and ruining your day, this was the last piece of the puzzle for me, and may prove to be the only thing preventing you from victory!

Once again, best of luck, I really do hope that you get it all working soon! Keep us updated.

Ash

...the only differences being...BIOS....

Ash

Very frustrating this is.....

I did not buy that card to beat some kind of record you know, or to increase the performance, which is already very good with my 7970m overclocking like CRAZY on stock voltage.

AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-950 Processor,Alienware 014M8C

I bought it, strictly, just to show how awesome R2 is, and to encourage R2 users to upgrade their machines.

If it happens that because nVidia screwed up the vBios and because of this i failed, than i accept the fact, i take slap onto my face, and throw another glove towards 8xx series card.

So far, it has been loads of fun for me to experiment, loads of frustration as well, but let's not be thrown away, 8 series cards are already on the design boards. Till then 7970M is more than enough.....

Selling the 780m soon if we will not witness any Ice Braking News, since the card is fully working, others may find it more useful than me........lucky you R3/R4 users.....

Thank you Again for loads of support guys, it is pleasure to be a part of such an awesome community :)

• Thumbs Up 2

hi bro

i would love to, this was on external 42 inch screen via HDMI, my screen is sw-off and i do not know why :(

I could see why your 42 inch screen would make this laptop slightly less "laptoppy".

And id love to see your backpack for this setup since you carry this along to work at times.:ambivalence:

Sad your 780 gives you such grief. Would love to eventually see a SLI setup with 780 but it seems like that will be impossible. (and quite expensive)

Your 7970 card also died? You had quite the speed on it.

I could see why your 42 inch screen would make this laptop slightly less "laptoppy".

And id love to see your backpack for this setup since you carry this along to work at times.:ambivalence:

Sad your 780 gives you such grief. Would love to eventually see a SLI setup with 780 but it seems like that will be impossible. (and quite expensive)

Your 7970 card also died? You had quite the speed on it.

• 2 months later...
I had same prob. i got a normal start when i disable IDT Audio (Integrated Device Technology) try it disable it in safe mode and reboot i belive it where becourse the new graphic card use the same I/O bus adr. as the onbord sound.

Im now running my sound on a speaker set where there is build in sound card.

Please post a screenshot -> GPU-Z / Device manager >Display Adapters>Details>Hardware Ids.

Yep, seems like 780m is really $#@£€! Up card, maybe 870m gtx will work in the near future but since using NVidia card prevents R2 users from running dual then we are limited to AMD GPUs. Since I got crossfire and I witnessed the performance jump....going back to single GPU configuration would be like walking without 1 leg... I was thinking about getting m18x R2 but I compared their screens side by side and the difference is....very substantial. So no.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Flingin/boys

I've been reading this and a few other forums recently, as I had decided to get a 770m. I had the black screen issue with mine, was getting annoyed like you with the swapping of cards etc. I finally worked out that it was shorting out against the fan. I put a piece of thermal pad under the chips on the underside and it now works. You could try this. I initially discovered it when I didn't screw the card down, just inserted it and left it on an angle. This booted up fine, but as soon as I screwed it down it didn't.

Anyway that's now working, I did exactly what Tucksha did, page 4 of this thread. My next issue is it seems to be underpowered, and I suspect its heating up due to fan profiles. GPU-Z reports fan at 100% but I can tell that's not true. Anyone have any idea how to fix?

First post here so haven't done a signature yet, but I'm running an M17x R2, 920xm, 8GB, 770m, 250 OCZ Vertex

• 10 months later...

Hi

I've installed a Dell 770M in my M17x R2 with unlocked A10 bios, and had the same white screen issue. If I turn HD audio off, it works, and I can install the nvidia drivers too, but I have no sound. I tried disabling IGD it doesn't change anything. I've tried Dell and Clevo vbios, but I can't get any sound out of it. There is a little x at the volume control, and doesn't want to go away. I can't install IDT drivers, it says it's not compatible with the hardware. Can someone please tell me a solution?

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

780m in Alienware m17x R2 works perfectly! I have upgraded 3x m17x r2's with the 780m in the last years and never had a problem. I installed a 880m yesterday and it works like dream! If you have any Question how to do it, feel free to ask.

Best Regards

Unbenannt.JPG

Edited by darky83

• 5 years later...
On 1/27/2016 at 10:21 PM, darky83 said:

780m in Alienware m17x R2 works perfectly! I have upgraded 3x m17x r2's with the 780m in the last years and never had a problem. I installed a 880m yesterday and it works like dream! If you have any Question how to do it, feel free to ask.

Best Regards

Unbenannt.JPG

So we assumed this was a fake @flingin @tucksha ?

(Hehe 5 years later lol)

Edited by @t0mX