Macbook Pro vs Windows 8 Laptop

robzie

Question

Hello everybody, I am in the market for a new laptop that will fit my needs as well as not break the bank ($1000-1500 range). I like to do some light gaming, but I read that there are much more games for PC then for mac. But isnt it possible to run windows 7 on macbook pros? This is my first post so sorry if I sound like a noob, but i look forward to what you guys think. thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

I have an AW m18x for all my gaming and a 15 inch macbook pro ret for all of my general everyday browsing and photo editing. You can do some light gaming on a macbook but in your price range you'd be much better off going with a pc. Good luck!

In the end you should just choose which OS you're more comfortable with. If you're going to be using UNIX a lot (like as a coder), you might want to consider the pro. If you're going to be gaming a lot, you might want to consider a windows laptop. In general though, windows will have more processing power bang for the buck. The windows equivalent of the pro would be one of the VAIOs or the Zenbooks.

My wife has a MAC and I'm using Windows 8 and Ubuntu. Her macbook pro is about 3 years now and she's never had to do a system refresh. Over time it got a bit slower but it's mostly because she likes to run out of space on her hard drive :)

I must say that the OS is very stable and she's never had any issues with malware. She's been using it at uni a lot, and there is plenty of infected USB sticks flying around as you probably know - this is usually not a problem for MAC users as there is not that many malware on this OS.

Windows on the other hand degrades over time, especially the registry grows so big that it cripples performance. There is also malware issue, but if you're smart, this should not be much of a problem.

Steam runs on MAC as well and there is quite a few games available. Not sure what sort of games you're into, but I've been playing Civ with my wife a lot (she on the MAC me on the PC).

The only issue I see with Apple is that with their newest laptops, you basically can't upgrade anything: can't upgrade RAM, can't upgrade hard drive, not to even mention, cpu or gpu. Even the battery is glued to the case and detaching it could break sensitive cable beneath it.

Macbooks are also very expensive in comparison to Windows Laptops, so if you want bigger bang for your buck, you may choose to actually buy a Windows Laptop. Also the most powerfull GPU in Macbooks is GTX650m I think, which is the same that run in the m14x I think - so no improvement in gaming.

Hope this helps

Agreed. I recently bought a Macbook, and although the specs were just as good, if not higher than what I had before, it just didn't feel right. I believe Macs are meant more for school, business, etc. with consideration for gaming, while Windows laptops have all of those at around the same tier.

Keep in mind that if you want to run windows on a Mac you will also have to buy a windows license which will add to the price.

If gaming is important, I would recommend just getting a windows PC from the get go. The MSI gs70 and Gigabyte p35k/p34g are some laptops that might have some of that macbook appeal.

As someone who owned both a mac and currently a windows 8 computer I would say it depends on preference. If you game, give up the mac, its not a possibility. The specs of macs generally are enough to run the mac OS smoothly but lack the ability to do things like gaming even if you dual boot to windows. If you want a multimedia surfing/ or creative editing device and money is no matter. Go with the mac. If you like tweaking, hacking, or gaming windows is your best bet. I will say however there are some great windows 8 laptops out there like the new Dell XPS 15 (the crazy hires one) that wipe the floor with mac book pros. Its all dependent on money and needs.

I would recommend getting a high quality pc (such as a malibal (google them), clevo/sager, MSI, or gigabyte or another major brand. for under 1250 (with cash discount) you can get a malibal with an i7 4700mq, 8gb ram, gtx 765m or for 95 more a 770m, 500gb 7200rpm drive (105 more for a 120gb ssd) I, myself would just add my own ssd and get a converter for the odd to use externally windows 8 (15 more for 7 home premium). It has a 15.6 inch 1080p display.

I've always loved the ID of Macbooks and the power they provide in a sleek package. I have a desktop for serious gaming and my Macbook Pro can handle many games on lower setting when I travel. Like one other post said though, you'll need to buy windows which adds cost.

I have both (rMBP and MSI GT60 680m) if your going to use the laptop for gaming, go with a pc. They are much more powerful and suited to gaming whereas the MBP is king for ease of use, screen quality, and overall quality. I dont think there are many PC laptops that can hold a candle to the build quality of a MBP

I own a Mac and a Windows Notebook.

The Mac is for working and the Win notebook for gaming.

Even with Bootcamp and Windows 7 installed, I would never playi any game on the Mac because its not built for that.

Its perfect for business, internet, video editing, and movies because of its great display.

But when it comes to gaming, I turn on my Windows power machine :)

It really depends on WHAT you plan to do, if by light gaming you mean simple titles such as plants vs zombies or F2P games that aren't built to be graphics heavy most mac's should be fine as you can run windows via bootcamp. as for gaming on a high level and AAA titles i would say go with a windows PC, as they can be well rounded for both multimedia production and gaming, although macs usually come set up around the productive side of the computers industry. as for going the windows 8 route, keep in mind that a lot of people dislike the OS for very valid reasons, it takes some time to get used too and the changes microsoft has planned for it just makes that a tad worse in my opinion. if you go for windows based PC i'd say check to make sure you can get it setup with win 7 instead. :)

I agree with Alex on the getting windows 7 instead of 8! Don't see why they had to release a locked down OS with a terrible interface in the first place.

You can load windows on the mac to play some basic games no problem but as others have already stated the mac isn't really designed for that and you are better off having a seperate windows machine for anything more intensive game wise!

I would recommend getting a Lenovo laptop. It is (for me) the cheapest gaming laptop out there that has quality (unlike the no-brand-names made in god knows where). The only downside to this is that Lenovo loves locking you to its own agenda, so customization might be hard (I have Lenovo y580). Mac isn't meant for gaming really, and even the keyboard layout ticks me. It could be a prejudice against Apple itself but I think it is justified. It is way easier to format (like completely) Windows Laptops than mac. If you want to game, windows laptops is the way, if not go for Mac, if all you do is surf.

I'm personally not a Mac fan either, but I recognize that user experience does matter - so I'm not going to hate on people who prefer using OSX. I just can't get myself to support Apple though. They can argue that their proprietary silliness is about "pushing the envelope" and "innovating" all they want, but all they're trying to do is muscle people towards their products and "lifestyle".

I would buy the mac (I ahd to buy a Thinkpad because of my job). You can buy really cheap Windows notebooks, but if you want a good one like a thinkpad you have to buy quite as much as for an Macbook. Im not a an apple fanboy but I have to say the OS is much more stable und a Macbook is disigned well even if the get really hot.

I don't think windows 8 is so bad like people always say. I used it on a surface pro and it really improves your working productivity in combination with a touchscreen.

this was true few years ago.... a mbp will overheat easily... it's not up gradable. No 32GB of ram.

the only useful thing on MBP is the the Thunderbolt ports.

The display has the Retina stuff, but i did'nt found it useful for CAD/3D..And not 99% RGB space...