[M14XR2] Hardly any overclocking possible?

Hi all,

i just flashed the unlocked A11 BIOS and gave overclocking the 650m a try.

Unfortunatly, I can not reach the speeds other do by far.

The maximum I can reach is +100/+800 withouth getting driver fails..

Temps are in the 50s so it is not a temp problem.

Would adjusting voltages make any sense? Or is it just a "bad" 650m I have?

Thank you guys very much!

Yeah, adjusting voltage would make sense as long as the temperatures allow it. I'll prepare a revised A12 bios when I get the chance.

Though people have reported issues with downclocking etc. ... but I'm under the impression that this is board related and not software related. @deadbydawn did some testing for me quite a while ago and he had no throttling with one of his motherboards and with the other he had downclocking issues even though the same mod run on both of the boards...

Well, I guess we'll see when the mod is ready.

Thank you very much for answer svl - But I am not sure if I got your answer right.

I am not suffering throttling/downclocking issues. The benchmark just quits at some point and i get a system message saying the driver has crashed.

I didnt OC something for years and saw most guys getting ~ +250/+1000 which is much more than I reach.

So a higher voltage could make the gpu more stable at higher clocks, couldnt it?

Edit: Is any other reason imaginable besides a weak 650m? Like driver issues or sth?

I will definitly check it out when the mod is done ;)

Possibly, yes. But some cards just don't overclock very well... though I have never heard of a 650m that had only 100MHz headroom on the core, you would be pretty unlucky if this was your final limit. Chances are that you can go higher with more volts.

Drivers can cause issues, also some applications are very sensitive to overclocks.

As svl7 said drivers can be an issue. I've been able to achieve 1180core/3000mem but when I go any higher the application crashes/freezes, I've never come across a driver crash.

What driver are you running? The latest Nvidia driver for 650M is 320.49 however Dell recommends 307.17 which is what I use. If you're not running 307.17 this would be the first thing I would try if I were you.

As svl7 said drivers can be an issue. I've been able to achieve 1180core/3000mem but when I go any higher the application crashes/freezes, I've never come across a driver crash.

What driver are you running? The latest Nvidia driver for 650M is 320.49 however Dell recommends 307.17 which is what I use. If you're not running 307.17 this would be the first thing I would try if I were you.

I can get mine to 1150/3000 before it starts to get unstable. Not doing anything unusual, just afterburner. I normally run it with turbo disabled because it's quieter but I've had no issues with turbo enabled. It's possible you have a low-clocking chip. It's more likely if you have a newer notebook because Nvidia added higher bins to their grading for the 750m and a few other newer models.

My notebook has been repasted with IC diamond which may or may not be relevant.

[...] It's possible you have a low-clocking chip. It's more likely if you have a newer notebook because Nvidia added higher bins to their grading for the 750m and a few other newer models. [...]

That seems to be reason - my M14x is from March. I wanted to repaste it with IC diamond as well - when i was able to oc the gpu. This far i dont have temp/throttle problems, so I just leave it as it is..

That i can not overclock more than 100/2800 is not a temp problem as i am in the 50s. Today at work I even put a piece of dry ice under the vent opening - makes no difference (and temps were in the 40s)...

Hi all,

i just flashed the unlocked A11 BIOS and gave overclocking the 650m a try.

Unfortunatly, I can not reach the speeds other do by far.

The maximum I can reach is +100/+800 withouth getting driver fails..

Temps are in the 50s so it is not a temp problem.

Would adjusting voltages make any sense? Or is it just a "bad" 650m I have?

Thank you guys very much!

I have the exact same issue with my R2. I cannot overclock more that 1000Mhz core. Anything above 1000Mhz core I get this driver fail message. CPU temps normally reach 67~69 celcius and GPU around 58 celcius when the crash occurs. Please advice....

• 4 months later...

Overclocking basically is asking the chip to perform faster than it was spec-ed to do, it will create instability, introduce errors and freezes with GPU's that is not up for that push. Increase voltage strengthens the electrical signals in the GPU at the expenses of heat generated (and therefor instability when heat goes up).

Your best bet is increase voltage and do a step based adjustment (e.g. 20mhz-50mhz each test upwards) to find a sweet spot. Temperatures are not an issue here, CPU can go up to 95-100C and GPU up to 80C (Beyond that the chip will crash/suffer heat failures on silicon die). What IS an issue could be the noise! lol

I'm using MSI afterburner to ramp up my cores to +135 and mem clock +1000 but my fps did not do significant changes i use latest nvidia beta driver to run Assassins creed 4 settings at high no AA

fps around 17-24 when.and my temps were 69 at max

i need help to add some fps

Edit : I just flashed my bios to A13 unlocked (thanks to svl7 for the work and Eats7 for the tutorial) and add +1000 to mem clock and +240 to core clock AC4 runs at 22-28fps however that settings cant be use when you plug your AC adapter it just crashed and you need to end task via task mgr, and I found my sweet spots using AC adapter is +100/+1000 and it runs at 24-31 fps when in action.

Edit 2 : I just found something that really bother me, if I +clock speed without AC adapter, it just wont go up in fact, it just capped at 745Mhz in msi afterburner(although gpu z is showing your real settings, but your performance is like 745Mhz) but the memory clock is fine and show exactly the same as your settings in afterburner.