Just bought this for my incoming M18x

Brian

SSD + ram are here. M18x is AWOL..sigh.

OMG GIVE ME GIVE ME. wow 160 GB SSD soo sexy. Btw Brian, question could you maybe do a thread about how to move the OS from the normal HDD to the SSD? I ask because I know our monster are gonna come with alien re spawn and other hidden apps and partitions and maybe doing a guide how to migrate all to and SSD would be awesome.

@Brian: Nice SSD, I think you're gonna like it!! Are you planning on doing a RAMdisk on half of the RAM (for the pagefile or so)? In case you do let us know, I'm curious whether it's worth the money... That would about the last thing I could upgrade in my M15x :D

@wbabt007: If you have a SSD in your system you probably don't want to copy the recovery partition from the HDD to the SSD... it only uses a lot of (valuable) space. I'd recommend a fresh install of Windows, you could change the cluster size (can help to speed up the system a bit, though I'm not sure whether it's noticeable... I actually wanted to test this when I reinstalled, but I completely forgot, lol).

• Founder

yeah I would go for the 320 series instead of the 510 as well, prefer better 4K over sequential speeds. Plus what I do doesn't require that much of sequential throughput anyways.

yeah I would go for the 320 series instead of the 510 as well, prefer better 4K over sequential speeds. Plus what I do doesn't require that much of sequential throughput anyways.

Too true. Either that or I wait longer until a really meaningful upgrade is released where the speed increase will really matter. I already have a SSD that works great so it's just a matter or space management ATM. :)

• Founder
OMG GIVE ME GIVE ME. wow 160 GB SSD soo sexy. Btw Brian, question could you maybe do a thread about how to move the OS from the normal HDD to the SSD? I ask because I know our monster are gonna come with alien re spawn and other hidden apps and partitions and maybe doing a guide how to migrate all to and SSD would be awesome.
@Brian: Nice SSD, I think you're gonna like it!! Are you planning on doing a RAMdisk on half of the RAM (for the pagefile or so)? In case you do let us know, I'm curious whether it's worth the money... That would about the last thing I could upgrade in my M15x :D

@wbabt007: If you have a SSD in your system you probably don't want to copy the recovery partition from the HDD to the SSD... it only uses a lot of (valuable) space. I'd recommend a fresh install of Windows, you could change the cluster size (can help to speed up the system a bit, though I'm not sure whether it's noticeable... I actually wanted to test this when I reinstalled, but I completely forgot, lol).

nice congrats bro, if you want i can keep them in a safe place till your M18x arrives.

Thanks guys and yeah like svl7 said, I'd rather format the drive than copy over the Dell disk image since it would be a fresh install without the recovery partition eating up valuable space on an SSD. And boobs, you can keep it in a safe place as long as you swap your 300 GB with mine :D

• Founder
Too true. Either that or I wait longer until a really meaningful upgrade is released where the speed increase will really matter. I already have a SSD that works great so it's just a matter or space management ATM. :)

My thoughts exactly, I will stick with my SSD as well, so far nothing is that great to worth the upgrade

• Thumbs Up 1

Picked up 16gb's of DDR3 at newegg.com for $199. I know its not a good price, but it beats the $600 Dell wanted for it and it's the same HyperX ram Brian bought.... so can't wait to try out XMP profiles! (I will be using ramdisk for pagefile but won't get my system till atleast mid june!)

Picked up 16gb's of DDR3 at newegg.com for $199. I know its not a good price, but it beats the $600 Dell wanted for it and it's the same HyperX ram Brian bought.... so can't wait to try out XMP profiles! (I will be using ramdisk for pagefile but won't get my system till atleast mid june!)

I'd say it's a fine price. :)

I've never sold anything before but that's cool your going to get a 600gb. Which one were you looking at? My ram came today. I was happy it's shiny lol and blue.

IMG00167-20110517-1451.jpg

IMG00168-20110517-1452.jpg

Hmm, when I open CrystalDiskInfo it says host writes 400.56GB, power on count 286, power on hours 34... seems a bit weird, or am I looking at the wrong values? I'm using this drive since the beginning of April...

However, 22tb seems to be huge anyway... are these numbers reliable?

• Thumbs Up 1