Y400/Y500 - Anyone running an SSD? Opinions, experiences, boot times?

whatisit

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Few months ago i purchased a Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB ssd drive, i installed it in my Lenovo Y500 (i5) and performed a clean Windows 8 install.

It's blazing fast! From the moment i boot my notebook it takes less then 10 seconds to boot to the windows 8 login, 2 seconds after entering my security credentials i'm good to go :)

It's definately worth buying an SSD, not to mention the obvious performance gains, it also increases your battery life as an SSD doesn't have moving parts. This also

means it's not generating as much heat as a traditional HD which is better for the lifespan of your notebook :)

I have purchased the Samsung 840 Series Pro 256 GB. Had some issue with getting the back cover off, like it was glued to the laptop but in the end nothing broke and I manage to install it. The SSD works as advertised, exactly with the speeds that Samsung is claiming. I have also created a drive on the small ssd which came by default from Lenovo, since I'm not using it anymore for caching.

I have the Samsung 840 Series Non-Pro (500 GB) and I'm getting about 13 seconds boot-up time on W8. Using the built in Samsung program for testing speeds, it seems my write speeds hover around the advertised, while my read speeds are slightly low. Personally, I find that the start-up times for games, music changing speed, and generally the system speed are much more eye-catching as I generally walk-away when I restart... lame I know.

I use a Plextor 128gb Msata as a boot/apps HD and my stock 1gb 5400 as a games/backup drive. Bootup times are phenomenal and so is the booting of photoshop and MS Ofiice. Games run fine on the 5400rpm HD.

• 3 weeks later...

Highly recommend the SSD. I have a Plextor 128gb M5M mSata along with the 1TB stock HD. Do a clean Windows 8 install from a disc or usb drive (you can download it from a torrent site). Just don't forget to get a screw to install the mSata drive with!

I have a Samsung 250 EVO drive for my y410p... unfortunately, actually making a bootable drive was the biggest one of my problems, since the product key in the BIOS wouldn't let me download an ISO, but if you can figure out that it's easy enough to swap out the HDD and SSD, with marked improvements

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Samsung 840 Pro 128 installed on my y410p. Originally I made the mistake of putting it in a caddy in the DVDRW bay....only to discover my mistake that it is only Sata 3. So I moved the terabyte drive to the caddy and put the Samsung in the terabyte spot and now have SATA 6. Boot time into WIN8 is 11 seconds.

love my refurbished ssd i got from microcenter. 256gb msata crucal m4 for $140 is a steal. as soon as i saw it i went and got it. been running on it with out a problem and loving that i also have the 1tb in there for extra storage.

it also only available at few locations.

Crucial m4 CT256M4SSD3 mSATA 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Refurbished 710210 - Micro Center

One other thing I found after I had some issues with my system intermittently freezing after using the Samsung 840 Pro for a while, was to install Samsung's "Samsung Magician" software to help adjust the settings for the SSD. Since I did this and moved it to the Sata 6 position is has been running right up to Samsung's posted specs, a few speeds are a little higher too. Very pleased with the SSD!

Going to be honest. I have a 60gb mSATA for os/boot, and DID repeat DID have a 240gb Corsair Neuron (newegg shell shocker). Started running out of space. (do have a 1tb portable usb 3.0 for media). Just did a shadow copy and put the OEM 1tb 5200rpm in. I notice no difference in games or anything. Maybe if I paid more for a SSD it would have. Eventually when money permits I will go 7200k, as I dont move this thing its a desktop laptop for space. Im done building got WAY to expensive ha.