Y400/Y500 - Anyone running an SSD? Opinions, experiences, boot times?

whatisit

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Install StartIsBack and its windows 7 on steroids :)

I had no flipping idea that this existed. Looks great. Maybe I'll install windows 8 on a separate partition and give it a whirl some time.

What I'd be worried about here is long term support though. I wish Microsoft would just make two options. So many people want the start bar and the old functionality back.

I had no flipping idea that this existed. Looks great. Maybe I'll install windows 8 on a separate partition and give it a whirl some time.

What I'd be worried about here is long term support though. I wish Microsoft would just make two options. So many people want the start bar and the old functionality back.

I have never used windows 8 without this software, lol and its been 6-7 months now. They are quick to update and I have had no issues at all. Smooth as a butter.

Every Y500 has mSATA port that is free in the models that do not feature a 16gb SSD. So you can easily place a SSD drive in that port and leave the 1tb standard drive intact for storage. That is what i have done and now i run a 120gb SSD OS drive and 1tb of storage :) About 5 seconds boot time windows 8 with legacy boot not uefi, definitely worth the investment as the oem hdd is very slow (5400 rpm).

Windows 8.1 boots w/o extras plugged in around 8 seconds.

C=120GB Atlas mSATA

D=256GB Samsung 830

Drive C

Read max 435770 kB/sec

Read average 409050 kB/sec

Read min 367963 kB/sec

Write max 441589 kB/sec

Write average 371669 kB/sec

Write min 233460 kB/sec

CPU usage 0 percent

Drive D

Read max 333170 kB/sec

Read average 277074 kB/sec

Read min 152698 kB/sec

Write max 414341 kB/sec

Write average 397778 kB/sec

Write min 332061 kB/sec

CPU usage 4294967294 percent

• 2 weeks later...

I have 128 Gb ADATA SX300 SSD in the mSATA connection. Best upgrade ever... although I'm not going to lie, it was quite difficult to get a fresh install of Windows up and running. I had to find a OEM version of Windows 8 and burn it to a cd; then it worked.

Results from AS SSD Benchmark are 455 read and 126 write... not the best on the write, but I didn't get the best drive either.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

my y500 came without the ssd cache so i purchased a samsung 840 evo msata 500gb and now use it as the boot drive and the hdd as storage my system was booting in about 8 seconds if i remember correctly after a fresh install of win 8.1 since then i have many programmes running on startup such as object dock star8 and some automation software for downloads which i believe are hurting startup times but anything under 50 seconds is bearable for me oh and also i am using they cyberlink face login software which i believe also hogs speed.