Y400/Y500 - Anyone running an SSD? Opinions, experiences, boot times?

whatisit

Did a quick search and didn't notice anyone here using a solid state drive... So, I was wondering if anyone is. If so, share your experiencesǃ

I'm using a Crucial M4 SSD which is 512 GB. The first thing I noticed was a great boot time. I can boot from off to my desktop in 35 seconds and all the background apps are loaded within the 40-45 second mark. Now, I'm sure there are faster...but this is the best experience I've had from anything I've ever owned personally before.

I haven't tried shaking my computer to the point of disrupting the hard drive...nor do I plan to do it intentionally. However, I was running a transfer the other day and had to walk to the office with my computer running, lest I have to redo two previous hours of work and then wait again. No problems whatsoever. General speeds in running applications have been either faster compared to my last computer, although, I have no specific benchmarking comparisons there. But here are a couple things that I ran on the current Y400 with CrystalDiskMark and SiSoftware Sandra 2013 SP3.

CrystalDiskMark

(based on 5 tests)

Read (MB/s)

Sequentialː 518.1

Random 512KBː 438.6

Random 4KBː& 21.81

Random 4KB (QD 32)ː 198.8

Write (MB/s)

Sequentialː 261.6

Random 512KBː 263.6

Random 4KBː 71.78

Random 4KB (QD 32)ː 212.3

SiSoftware Sandra 2013 SP3

File System Bandwidth

Analysing...

Aggregated Score : 430.823MB/s

Result ID : Crucial M4-CT512M4SSD2 (512.1GB, SATA600, 2.5", SSD)

Capacity : 512.11GB

Finished Successfully : Yes

File System I/O

Analysing...

Aggregated Score : 12330.4IOPS

Result ID : Crucial M4-CT512M4SSD2 (512.1GB, SATA600, 2.5", SSD)

Speed : 6000Mbps

Capacity : 512110MB

Overall Score

Aggregated Score : 7.07kPT

Results Interpretation : Higher Scores mean Better Performance.

Decimal Numeral System (base 10) : 1GPT = 1000MPT, 1MPT = 1000kPT, 1kPT = 1000PT, etc.

Result ID : Lenovo 20192 IDEAPAD (Lenovo INVALID) (Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz; Intel Core Mobile DRAM Controller; 2x 4GB Ramaxel RMT3160ED58E; Crucial M4-CT512M4SSD2; NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't personally used a SSD with this system but from my understanding, their is gains in speeds when using a regular 5400rpm drive coupled with an msata as there is to using a full blown ssd. Still, the SSD I believe.

I've got a virtual machine on the mSATA and a win7 copy on a 2.5" SSD (old school c300).

Disabling GUI boot and some services on Win7 gives about 20s boot time which has spoiled me for life. the virtual machine boots ubuntu in about 25s with VT-x enabled, which I reckon is a good timing too. Don't quite understand why some persist on using the mSATA for caching when there are 256GB options out there for about $120.

Your boot times reminded me about my boot time. The boot times I mentioned originally were prior to flashing my BIOS. After the flash, I'm getting around 17-20s boots to the desktop, plus another 7-10s for background services - that's with the GUI boot. I definitely know what you mean by feeling spoiledǃ

I'm running a Samsung 840 500gb SSD on my Y510 and it boots in under 8 seconds. I never even considered running the 1tb drive. It was removed and cloned the moment I received it.

Cheers

Your boot times reminded me about my boot time. The boot times I mentioned originally were prior to flashing my BIOS. After the flash, I'm getting around 17-20s boots to the desktop, plus another 7-10s for background services - that's with the GUI boot. I definitely know what you mean by feeling spoiledǃ

For the people with less than 10s boot times, if applicable, how long did you have the OS installed before running your SSD in your Lenovo? I had mine for about 1 year, so I'm wondering if all the extra installed background apps/processes cause the increase. I haven't tried booting on a completely fresh install.

Also curious about timing and making sure we're comparing apples to apples. I timed from the moment I hit the power button. Just making sure that I eliminate unnecessary variables.

For the people with less than 10s boot times, if applicable, how long did you have the OS installed before running your SSD in your Lenovo? I had mine for about 1 year, so I'm wondering if all the extra installed background apps/processes cause the increase. I haven't tried booting on a completely fresh install.

Also curious about timing and making sure we're comparing apples to apples. I timed from the moment I hit the power button. Just making sure that I eliminate unnecessary variables.

Had mine for a week before swapping. I am running windows 8.1 Preview but it's just as fast as Win8.

I had a SanDisk ultra plus ssd when I first got my y500 and damn it was quick. But i quickly found out that 250gb was not going to be big enough so I switched back to the stock 1tb 5400rpm hdd :/

I think I realized where the difference is coming in. After reading about Win 8 on our comps, it seems that is what allows the really fast boot times. I'm running Win 7 on my SSD. I'm thinking about imaging my smaller SSD to back this one up and then installing a fresh copy of Win 8 to see how that goes. Probably won't until sometime next week, though.

Clean install for me

Mini PCIE + HDD combo for the best storage and speed. I currently have it on my laptop now.

Y500 with msata crucial m4 128gb + 500gb 7200rpm drive.

but my dream config would be msata ssd 256gb (OS) and a 2.5" SSD 500GB for all the files :D

currently using crucial m4 256Gb as the windows 8 OS drive (with some apps and games installed), and using the 1Tb 2.5" 5200rpm HDD which came with the laptop as the data drive. more or less 10 seconds boot up after pressing the power button. installed also eclipse and intellij java IDE on the primary drive, so that they would launch faster. :)

When installing the msata SSD are you cloning the original Win 8 or doing a fresh install? If a fresh install, are you suing OEM or Retail Win 8? I ask because I wonder about the BIOS enabled Authorization Code.

I took the small msata SSD out and put in a Crucial mSata 256gb. Best upgrade I could have done since I get to keep the 5400rpm 720gb drive for data. I just did a clean install, as I always do a clean install with laptops. Have to get rid of the bloat. If you want functions like the one-touch recovery and such, you have to clone it, but none of that fancied me.

When installing the msata SSD are you cloning the original Win 8 or doing a fresh install? If a fresh install, are you suing OEM or Retail Win 8? I ask because I wonder about the BIOS enabled Authorization Code.

clean install. you just have to worry about windows 8 installation media and drivers. your windows 8 key is embedded in the firmware.