Bigfoot Killer Wireless-N 1202 in Y500 at first glance

William Shadowruby

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the information! I just picked up one of these on Amazon.com for $49. Going to install it pretty soon and will post back here with the results. I can't even describe how much hair I lost after trying to get IBM to fix all the problems I was having with the 2230!

• 2 weeks later...
Good info, I'll definitely be looking into this soon. Probably a silly question, but is the BIOS Whitelist mod required to get this card to work? doesn't matter either way as I do plan to do the BIOS mod, just curious really.

Afaik the Killer 1202 is not in the whitelist.

How is the range on the bigfoot? That is the most important factor for me at the moment.

Range should be greater than the one from 2230, because of the better signal strength. But with the signal strength depending on many factors its hard to tell (e.g. ferroconcrete will cripple every w-lan).

Does anyone know if cards with the new ac standard are available or when they might be released?

Does anyone know if cards with the new ac standard are available or when they might be released?

They have been available for a while now. The Intel AC 7260 is a popular one that many people have successfully installed in the Y500. Like any third-party WLAN card, it requires the modded BIOS to work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Afaik the Killer 1202 is not in the whitelist.

Range should be greater than the one from 2230, because of the better signal strength. But with the signal strength depending on many factors its hard to tell (e.g. ferroconcrete will cripple every w-lan).

Sweet. It's odd, the 2230 has great throughput according to speedtest, but the moment I start up something like BF3 or Hawken I have terrible lag. I've taken to just using wired 'net when I play online games :-/

Sweet. It's odd, the 2230 has great throughput according to speedtest, but the moment I start up something like BF3 or Hawken I have terrible lag. I've taken to just using wired 'net when I play online games :-/

I get bad throughput, the occasional lag and sometimes a total connection loss (with different routers and access points, sometimes it wont even reconnect). Most of the times wired really is a must have for gaming... :(

Thanks a lot octiceps!

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, reverenddak said:

Does Lenovo's locked BIOS affect these Killer chips?

Of course.There's exist expections but based on atheros/intel.Anyway people who bought those wi-fi cards from lenovo directly says they aren't working.Whitelist appers.

There's no problem to use in the modded bios.Just follow instructions.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 years later...