Wi-Fi Card Reconmedations Y500

William Shadowruby

To tell you the truth, I don't now quite yet... I ordered an intel 6205 and I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Also, I only have a single-band router, so I'm not sure I'll actually see any speed increase. I think it really depends on your connection settings, but the 5GHz band may in fact increase the speed... we'll see.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did flash, everything went smooth, I did this so that I can OC the 650M's. My question is, why do people want another Wi-Fi card? is the one built-in so bad? I haven't experience issue with it. I mean buying a new one would bring 2x-4x speed boost? (ofc if access point or router is near you)

Had anybody managed to achieve 300Mbps wifi connection speed using the default wifi intel card that comes within Y500? I was only able to have not more than 125Mbps :(

(I have Linksys WRT610N, and with Acer 1825PT it was able to connect at 300Mbps, thus I wouldn't blame wifi router, but rather Y500's wifi driver settings)

I have a Y580 (which uses the same 2230 wireless card) and you won't get over 150Mbps because the wireless card is only single channel... which is one of the major motivations in upgrading it, in my opinion.

IBJamon

Okay, then with modded v2.04 Bios you can buy any Wi-Fi card and install it? Wouldn't that cause more battery drainage? Are there any cons? The good side is that we'll get more speed and stability I suppose

I don't know if it would cause more battery drainage or not (do they publish specs on power usage for wifi cards?) but yes, you should (in theory, I haven't tested the Y580's hacked BIOS myself + wifi card) be able to upgrade it. The cons? Well, I suppose voiding a warranty (until returned to stock) could be a con. ;)

IBJamon

I just installed the Intel Centrino 7260 last night. The only issue I had was the old drivers would not fully uninstall. I think if I had to do this again, I would have uninstalled the software prior to installing the new card. The updated drivers (16.0.5 or something like that) would not install over the old software and drivers. Even after using the uninstall (programs and features) and deleting the adapter from device manager. I had to go though the Registry to delete anything related to the ProWireless and Bluetooth associated only with the Intel adapter. After this, the new drivers would install. Otherwise a pretty easy and useful update.

Can u please get back with wifi speeds?

The speed issues I've noticed with the stock card has to do with Bluetooth being enabled. When disabling Bluetooth I notice that my speeds are pretty standard, while with Bluetooth enabled, my speeds are awful. I wonder if a different wifi + BT card would do any better. I must have BT for my mouse, and I'm not a fan of dongles.

Thanks. I just purchased a 6230 and I'll be sure to uninstall the old drivers first. I wish I would have known I had to change my bios to get the card to work. Does the 7260 have Bluetooth?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Just a caveat.....The transfers in the above post were done between a HDD and a mSATA. The HDD was an external drive on my server that is a SATA III connected via USB 3.0. I think we all know that the bottleneck at that point is the HDD access time. I will try and get some good SSD to SSD via wifi transfers using this mode.

server -----> Y500

[sSD---->SATAIII---->1Gb/s NIC] ------->Router------>802.11n (300Mb/s)-----[wifi(7260)---->mSATA].

This will take out the most obvious bottleneck, and will give the most pure transfer from system to system. I am still trying to find the snmp strings for my netgear router as well. Any insight would be appreciated.

I would like to see the updated numbers, My card likes to randomly drop to limited connection and I have to disconnect and reconnect. Not fun when in a middle of the game. Going to probably install the intel 6300 soon. Not too worried about losing Bluetooth.

My Y500 have a atheros wifi card, because of the bad signal i bought a 6300N and hoped it would pass the whitelist, but with no luck. I have therefore decided to attempt to do the bios mod.

Like mentioned by other posts here the 6300N has three antenna points, and the present layout is for two. I figure the card can be used with only two, but i would like to add a third. Is there any optimal direction for the third antenna in relation to the others? I have currently not disassembeled any antennas to see the end point of the antenna is this secured with a screw at the end?

Where I live 2.4ghz is saturated causing slowdowns at certain times. I have not experienced the same problem with 5ghz devices. Probably because it is not as widely adopted yet. I am currently using a USB wifi adapter, the Logitech AE3000. It works great, but I eventually plan to replace it with an internal card. For a laptop like the Y500 dual band should be standard.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the default N-2230 as well and nothing but problems, which is weird because the previous laptop (also from lenovo) has a three wire setup and an awesome network card (can't rmemeber off the top of my head).

Ironically, though Lenovo prob went with a lower card to save money, it will likely cost them return customers. After I first saw the "Unauthorized wireless card" screen when trying to install a 6235 I resolved never to buy from Lenovo again. Having a locked down BIOS is like being sold a car that you have to go to the dealer to open the hood on.

I have the y510p with the default N2230. I can receive a file to my laptop at 10MB/s and send at 16MB/s over 300Mbps N connection.

If I swap the wifi card out for something say a dual band 5Ghz N card (have a dual band N router) will the file transfer be faster?

I don't really have much experience with N routers so I don't know what to expect. I have an N router with fast ethernet and updated with one with gigabit ethernet and it didn't make much of a difference.

So I'm not sure if attempting to update the wifi card to something else will help much with the throughput.

• 3 weeks later...

The short answer is no. The client card in your laptop uses either the 2.4ghz or the 5 ghz channel but not both (300mbps max N 40mhz channel connection speed with real world speed closer to half that speed). The router is able to connect to devices that use 2.4 and 5 ghz at the same time.

Also, I would also consider spending the equivalent money on the intel ac7260 (7260.HMWG or 7260.HMWWB) if your computer supports it, since they are about the same price with the advantage of futureproofing for 802.11ac 2x2. Both have bluetooth 4.0.

• 2 months later...