Alienware M14x R1 Liquid Cooling?

I've had my M14x R1 for almost 2 years now and recently I've been considering some rather extreme ways to squeeze some more performance/longevity out of it and solve some of the more glaring issues I've been having - mainly heat and noise.

And the it hit me: WATER COOLING!

To which I replied: WHAT?!

Anyhoo, after some searching around I've come across a few mods doing pretty much exactly what I had in mind, like this one: Dell XPS M1330 Notebook watercooling MOD, the little How to - YouTube

Kindly have a look it this and let me know what you think, can it be done to an M14x?

Feel free to share other similar projects you've come across... ^_^

For what I have seen water cooling laptops are some kind of taboo mad scientist stuff, almost nobody talk about it, but for me is a very tempting project. I have seriously consider making a water cooling system for my m14x. A system like this developed by Asetek for the m18x Asetek demonstrates laptop liquid cooling on overclocked Alienware M18x | The Verge.

Water cooling in a very small scale is a theme of scientific study today, I think that in the next years we could see the first micro jets water cooling systems for high power portable electronics like laptops. Here are a couple of papers about it http://mems.utdallas.edu/papers/2003%20IEEE%20TCPT%20Microjet.pdf

http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-04142005-162001/unrestricted/Montanier_thesis.pdf

This micro jets cooling are to sophisticated to be "homemade" but it might be possible to make a custom super low profile water block for the cpu and gpu in the m14x, something similar to a desktop gpu water blocks. Removing the CD drive and relocating the hard drive you can open some space for the pump and making a custom heat sink for the radiator, like the stock one but with a water block in the top.

• 1 month later...

Mmmm.... very interesting concept. Im a little skeptical about the amount of air it can moves and how it moves. In a normal fan configuration for the m14, fresh air enters from bottom of the computer and exits trough the rear. So the hot air is thrown away and never enters again, But with this dual piezo jets looks like the exhaust and breath are in the same side, so maybe the hot air is suck again. Im in for more tests and results, if it really works is a huge improvement.

It's not a closed system. Every time the jet "inhales" it draws in cool air from outside the chassis. Every time it "exhales" it pushes air across the heat pipe and out of the chassis. It's more like a bellows than a jet, but "jet" sounds smexy while "bellows" sounds dull.

• 2 weeks later...

From my point of view, watercooling isn't still enough mature to be safely put into a laptop... And the gain would not be worth the effort.

Except if you're a real fan of overclocking... (However, this is only my opinion)

But if manufacturers start to really think about this... this could technically change

• 1 month later...